It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Start Producing Seed Now!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Hello everyone.

I've been reading some worrying things lately, monsanto creating seeds that have "terminator technology". They create one season of crop and then they're useless, the seeds from the created plants won't germinate.

At the moment it's a small part of the world this is happening in, but if monsanto want to make more money (and they do) then the logical extension will be to lobby governments to make farmers use only approved seed outlets. Eventually even the small grower will only have access to terminator seeds and then we'll be fully under control. Completely at the whim of a corporation, if we want to eat, we ask them, and if we go off the grid then we'll still have to buy seeds from them.

So i make this plea to everyone, read up on producing your own seeds. I've been doing it for the last 5 years on quite a few crops and i've learnt a lot. The crops i now grow are from my own seeds mostly, they all come out fine and creating more doesn't take up much space.

I started with beans, these are easy you just let them grow long until they're ready to harvest. Each year i leave 4 runner bean plants to just grow without harvesting and i get quality seed with a high germination rate. Carrotts, parsnips, onions, all are left to seed and collected each year. This year i'm going to try and create my own seed potatoes, but apparently they're slightly more complex.

People on this forum talk about self sufficiency, but you aren't self sufficient unless you can create your own seed, give it a try and you won't regret it. Not to mention the amount you'll save each year on buying seed.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

You have been misinformed. its not a small part of the world it the whole world. and its been going on for many years with almost all seed companys. there are still places ware you can get non altered seeds. There is a few places listed on the ATS survival boards and some listed at Simple survival forums to. now is the time to stock up on the non altered seeds

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
A lot of bigger cities have local seed banks, the sort that harbors a collection of the native plants seed, they will most likely share your views on Monsanto®. Also, the internet is a good place to look, but I'm sure you all assumed that much. Dont forget to stock up on cannabis seeds, there are tons of those seed banks; hemp is VERY useful!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I know it's been going on a while but i thought it was msotly confined t india, china etc. I knew they'd starte some in the states but i thought they were just using the GM stuff in the USA not the terminator ones.

The problem i was pointing out with the independant suppliers is that i think before long they'll be gone. Monsanto wil want them gone so they can push their own seed, making the supply chain restricted to only a few companies, leading to complete control of our food system.

Seed banks are all well and good but being able to produce your own seed is true self sufficieny.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
okay then, where could I get these good seeds for cheap then?

Online, Walmart, where?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
seed talk

should help. I know there is also a few threads on ATS to but I cant seem to locate them.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihavenoidea

*dusts off shelf*

All free of charge; delivered to your door.

Richter's Herb Catalog
Shumway's Illustrated Garden Guide
Jung Quality Seeds
Johnny's Selected Seeds
Trees of Antiquity
Vernon Barnes
Pinetree Garden Seeds
Burpee Gardening Seeds/Plants/Supplies
Territorial Seed Company
Bulk Herb Store www.bulkherbstore.com
Park Seed Co
Adams County Nursery