It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Type 2 diabetes cured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I watched this story on 60 minutes regarding bypass surgery and how it is sending type 2 diabetes into remission and it got me thinking. I then started researching the subject and found that indeed diabetes is reversed in 90% of gastric bypass procedures. The doctors will not use the word cure at this point but I can find nothing to the contrary. Nobody that has had this effect have since had their diabetes return. The amazing part of it is that the cure happens almost immediately.

Here is the story from 60 minutes: 60minutes.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

This is amazing.

I can understand the reluctance to use the word cure, until they have thoroughly researched this.

It's weid how some things can have positive side effects

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

I really don't know what they need to research as far as proving it works. I read page after page of people that were put into "remission". Apparently it usually works up to 20 years after diagnosis of diabetes.

Unfortunately no reptilians to draw anyone in. Too bad, I was hoping more people would have an opinion on this.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Seeing how GB surgery limits the amount of food available for digestion, I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that er...I dunno...maybe...DIET can "cure" T2?

Sounds like nothing but a fancy ad for Gastric Bypass surgery, which by the way, is the new BOTOX of the rich and famous.

I do remember when doctors used to Care about peoples health. Now they just want to cash in on it

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

You are correct in that diet can reverse diabetes in many cases but if you would have taken the time to read you would see that what triggers the "cure" during the surgery has something to do with the small intestine. In fact during studies, mice who had type 2 diabetes were operated on and had the bypass done. All the mice were cured of the diabetes but when they would go back and reverse the procedure, the diabetes would return. In other words, you can have type 2 diabetes reversed whether it is brought on by obesity or not. To clarify, this remission/cure/reversal has nothing to do with weight loss.

Maybe next time you go out on a limb, you could know what you're talking about.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by jbondo]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Slightly off to call it a "cure", it is more of an interim solution.

We are working on tissue culturing new beta islet cells, which ought to be the actual "cure" for diabetes.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
The amazing part of it is that the cure happens almost immediately.

My father had type 2 diabetes and his blood sugar levels were normal with about 1 hour after surgery. He had the surgery last summer and hasn't needed one bit of insulin since before the surgery. His weight was causing other health problems but the diabetes was only making it worse. This truely is an "instant fix". Drastic, but instant for sure. The benefits way outweigh the issues of the surgery.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Please elaborate. I'd like to hear about this as well. Is it for type 1 or 2?

dbates,

I am thrilled to hear of your fathers reversal. Sounds like he is on the right track. Tell me more about what he deals with on a daily basis if you can.Is he essentially normal as far as eating is concerned?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
im so prone to have type 2 this topic does greatly interest me...

but my long time best friends dad recently had this operation just to loose weight.

couple weeks back he decides to take us out for steaks he ends up having to order the nachos (mind you at a texas steak house these can be pretty good actually and no COLORADO your nachos are horrible) he ate bout three of them and then just sat there the rest of dinner...

because if he ate 4 he would throw up.

I just wanted to relate this story to anyone thinking bout how the benefits outweight the issues because at normal social drinking/eating events associated with relationships and work can be a little odd and you end up having to explain yourself almost every time (according to my buddies dad).

im going with diet though diet walking and halo 3.........

and chewy runts! thou shall nevereth taketh my runts!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

reply to post by TXRabbit

You are correct in that diet can reverse diabetes in many cases but if you would have taken the time to read you would see that what triggers the "cure" during the surgery has something to do with the small intestine. In fact during studies, mice who had type 2 diabetes were operated on and had the bypass done. All the mice were cured of the diabetes but when they would go back and reverse the procedure, the diabetes would return. In other words, you can have type 2 diabetes reversed whether it is brought on by obesity or not. To clarify, this remission/cure/reversal has nothing to do with weight loss.

Maybe next time you go out on a limb, you could know what you're talking about.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by jbondo]

Maybe if you had read what I posted you would have noticed that nowhere was obesity or weight-loss mentioned.

DIET my friend. WHAT you eat. Not how much.

Thanks for reading

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It's definitely WHAT you eat that matters. Eating government-sponsored toxic food (95% of what is available in supermarkets) will cause diabetes and all of the other modern-day illnesses and diseases. Just don't eat the pretty shiny convenient stuff and you won't get sick at all. Ever heard the phrase "doctor it hurts when I do this"?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Is he essentially normal as far as eating is concerned?

The first month or so you'll have to do the liquid diet thing and when you do eat it has to be in very small portions. Gradually you can eat more at a time, but he still can't eat huge amounts without feeling very sick. If you have this surgery there will be no more trips to the buffet line for you. At least no second trips.

He was here a few weeks ago and we went out to dinner. He had a 6 oz steak and a roll. I had the same thing but with a baked potato too. I don't live with it every day but to me it doesn't seem like it's anything too extreme. Basically the surgery forces you to do what we all should be doing anyway. Frequent smaller meals are much better for you than 3 large meals a day.

Getting into the heath benefits, his diabetes was cured the day of the surgery. The other issues gradually got better. You see before he had to wear a CPAP mask when he slept because his weight was giving him sleep problems where he would stop breathing during sleep for up to a min. at a time. This caused his heart to beat rapidly which knocked loose some clots and gave him 2 minor strokes. He was spending $300 - $500 a month on drugs before the surgery too. The only thing he takes now is some blood thinner to help with the clots. Everything else is great.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
DIET my friend. WHAT you eat. Not how much.

Thanks for reading

I read your post entirely. I would have had to to respond in the manner I did. Whether you meant to or not, you implied that it is diet that does the cure.

The whole point of the thread is that Type 2 diabetes is cured by the surgery alone. dbates just told us how his father was cured immediately with no return in a year. If you are diabetic it doesn't matter what you eat, if you are not taking medication your blood sugar will go up and likely beyond normal after meal levels.

I'll go ahead and apologize for my outburst but it did seem as though you made assumptions due to not checking the reference material.

So, I see one post that says 4 nacho chips will make you throw up and one that says a small meal is achievable. This is with the consideration that the subjects are at least 6 months past the operation.

Great info guys! I'm really wondering if just getting down to a normal weight level will also put diabetes into remission. Anyone have information on that?

I do think this will help people with type 2 that are not obese in that they could get a variant surgery done. Although research may come up with a more non evasive solution now that they know that the upper small intestine impacts blood sugar and insulin production.

top topics

join