It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry to ruin the fun, but an ice age cometh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Sorry to ruin the fun, but an ice age cometh

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

THE scariest photo I have seen on the internet is www.spaceweather.com, where you will find a real-time image of the sun from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory, located in deep space at the equilibrium point between solar and terrestrial gravity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
This is an interesting article about the lack of sunspot activity in this new solar cycle. Kind of doom and gloomy, but an interesting read never the less.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh NUTS!

Now I'm going to have to go back to the store and exchange all those shorts I bought for Global Warming!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

You had probably better hold onto them. I am sure we will be warming again soon.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Haha, yea right..
Speaking of this, I just watched a documentary on this the other day.
It states that it has less to do with sun spots and more to do with the earths elliptical orbit, instead of spherical, around the sun that occurs every 120,000 years or so.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Don't worry, as I have been assured again and again, our carbon taxes will protect us! Just ask Mr Gore!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
[edit on 27/4/2008 by ANOK]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm not sure the carbon tax by itself will be enough to protect everyone. I do have a theory though. If we could convince them to spray these carbon taxes from large jets over population centers, it may at least provide some temporary relief.

Whether it be cooling or warming, I have extreme confidence that our leaders will be able to devise and apply the appropriate taxes needed to make us "more comfortable".

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I am amused that this anti-Gore cult equates the term "Global Warming" with Al Gore. Rapid climate change has always been what we have feared seeing as we have enjoyed the benefit of a relatively stable climate for so long (since the last ice age basically). The shut down of the important ocean currents from increased fresh water inputs has been accepted for years.

Global warming/climate change/ice age has nothing to do with Al Gore.
I will include a couple of these

as is the routine around here.

NOT breaking news.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Hey, if being anti-Gore makes anyone part of a cult, I suppose I'm a card carrying member. These are my own definitions:

Global Warming: An initiative predicated upon cherry picked (skewed) "scientific data", with a goal of exploiting fear, ignorance and guilt to hoodwink an already overtaxed population into welcoming a vast new scheme of carbon based taxation.

Climate Change: A cyclical system of heating and cooling of the earth which operates completely outside of the influence of man. A cycle which will continue to function despite any amounts of taxation.

I do agree that mankind is facing one hell of a challenge. I'm not at all convinced that mankind has done anything to bring about this challenge. I do not believe that these new global warming initiatives bring anything beyond taxation to the table.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Whether we be warming or cooling, I think we have little to worry about.

Besides war - the other consistent factor in human history is that humans are incredibly adaptive. This factor, coupled with the fact that any climate change will likely take place over an extended period of time, convinces me that the fear of climate change will produce more damage than any actual change in climate.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Are we all dumb because we listen to the media?? We are coming out of ice age not entering one.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by anti us gov

And where did you get that information from? Just curious..
Still, it is funny that just a year or two ago most scientists were proclaiming
that global warming was just gearing up, with massive ice shelves breaking off.
Now theyre saying that the 07 winter was .07 degrees cooler than last year and they expect the trend to continue?
Idk, well see i guess.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The year 1816 was known as the year without a summer. Here is the strory of what took place. The time period in which it took place was known as the mini ice age.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s

Speaking of this, I just watched a documentary on this the other day.
It states that it has less to do with sun spots and more to do with the earths elliptical orbit, instead of spherical, around the sun that occurs every 120,000 years or so.

Sorry, I don't understand. The Earth like all planets has an eliptical orbit and the period for the Earth is 1 year not 120,000

[edit on 27/4/08 by Insomniac]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The article in The Australian makes really interesting reading and mirrors what I've suspected about global warming all along, that is, it's a great excuse for raising taxes.

The article did get one thing wrong though, Cycle 24 has begun. The evidence for this is that the polarity of the sunspots reverse at the beginning of every cycle.

What's happened this time is that there has been no great increase in the number of sunspots. Does anyone know how gradual the build up of sunspot activity usually is at the beginning of a cycle?

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
This reminds me of that Twilight Zone when the whole city is burning up from the sun approaching the earth and two women tough it out in an apartment while one of them draws pictures of the scorching suns drama upon the people of the city, only to find out that she had slipped into a comma and was suffering from an intense and burning fever brought on by the fact that the earth was in an ice age cycle.

Now I have always believed that the two do run hand in hand. If the period of cooling lasts as long as the El Nino we will be ok.

The sunspot 24 has had me comcererned for a couple of years because as Art Bell said it is slated to be a big big one.

I was first alarmed when it started several months early, it was my understanding it was not even slated to begin until now anyway. What concerns me now is that I am wondering if it is building pressure and going to spout off in some really huge display which could create huge problems with our grid systems, cell phones, computer connectivity and ionosphere?

That it has just started bubbling, makes me also wonder if it has to do with the enormous amounts of small earth quakes we have seen in the past week? Best to keep an eye on all earths geomagnetic behavior in the next several months.

Volcanoes, Tsunamis, hurricanes, earth quakes, tornadoes, and inclement weather world wide. I believe our sun has just begun to put on a show, and we here on earth will have a front row seat.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Insomniac

Yes i know I wish I'd watched it more closely but I think what it meant is that as it swings at its furthest point the wobble on its access tilts the earth one way or another every 120k or so years.
As always, Im playing games on my laptop and watching TV at the same time.
Heres what I found during a quick search..

Source

On average, ice ages occur about every 100,000 years, and the next one should begin with plenty of notice in about 60,000 years, indicates Jose Rial, professor of geophysics at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The timing is not exact, he says, and Rial believes he has figured out why. "The Earth circles the sun every year in an orbit that becomes either more elliptical or less elliptical over tens of thousands of years. Variations in the orbit over time chiefly account for the ice ages as differing amounts of sunlight warm the planet."

[edit on 4/28/2008 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Thanks very much for your well researched reply - I didn't know that! It's an interesting theory, and very plausible.

new topics

top topics

join