It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If there were no God there would be no atheists."

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

one cannot be an atheist without the knowledge of the concept of god. that was all i wanted to point out with this thread.

there is the concept of god and then there is whether or not that being actually exists

the concept of lightsabers exists, but that doesn't mean they do
the concept of enkidu exists, but that doesn't mean he does
the concept of the tooth fairy exists etc etc etc

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
one cannot be an atheist without the knowledge of the concept of god. that was all i wanted to point out with this thread.

So, in effect your saying that when one acknowledges the concept of God and actively denys that concept then they are an atheist?

Which sounds like if there was no idea of the concept of God, then there would be no atheists, which sounds pretty much like the Quote.

Peace

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

Exactly. If there were no concept of a God, then there wouldn't even be a root word "theist".

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by HIFIGUY

the concept exists in our minds...just like the concept of the tooth fairy has to exist for me to not believe in it
or the concept of an invisible pink unicorn

or the concept of all these gods on this list

but that doesn't mean any of that stuff exists

without a god there can still be a concept of god.
so the existence of god has no bearing on the existence of atheists.

but i think that sub explained all of this more concisely.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   

without a god there can still be a concept of god.
so the existence of god has no bearing on the existence of atheists.

I think you clarified your position. In the face of the concept of God. An active denial.

So then I might ask, are the teachings of Christ too also in active denial? Do you believe his way is Good despite denying his existence as you have stated before?

but i think that sub explained all of this more concisely.

Yes he did.

By the way, the lightsabre exists, and any young child who has played with them will tell you they are great fun. They started by the introduction of a concept that was previously unknown and became known in a movie.

For you to say that Lightsabres do not exist would be for you to predict the future and calculate for billions of years that which will be revealed, discovered and invented.

All you can say accurately is this. That here on earth, to your knowledge, lightsabres as seen in Star wars do not exist. You cannot speak for the future nor can you speak for hidden projects or even other places in the universe.

Rocketships to the moon didnt exist either now did they.

When you look at a statue by Michael Angelo, do you see the mountain from which it is carved or the statue itself.

With no mountain, there is no stone. With no stone, there is no statue.

Madness, look and see that you are a stone wrought from a large mountain. The reason you dont see the mountain is that you dont know how to look at it.

Do you smell light or hear color? Looking the proper way allows you to see the proper way.

It seem to me, somone said:

Mathew

Ask, and it shall be given you: seek, and you shall find: knock, and it shall be
opened to you.

Peace

[edit on 12-5-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
I think you clarified your position. In the face of the concept of God. An active denial.

yes.

So then I might ask, are the teachings of Christ too also in active denial? Do you believe his way is Good despite denying his existence as you have stated before?

depends. i agree with most of it, but the concept of thinking of an immoral act being equivalent to an immoral act is kind of iffy.

in fact, i think that if a man thinks of adultery with a woman and doesn't do it he's being very virtuous because it's a display of proper self control.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

in fact, i think that if a man thinks of adultery with a woman and doesn't do it he's being very virtuous because it's a display of proper self control.

I agree with you here madd. I struggle with sin in that way. I think what Jesus was trying to communicate is God judges the thoughts as well the action. Nothing is hidden from him. Jesus described the Pharisees as white washed tombs - clean on the outside but rotten on the inside. Also in the very same sermon Jesus said "Be ye perfect as you Father in heaven is perfect". Setting the standard to be absolute sinlessness. Which is why we need a savior and can not meet the mark on our own accord.

[edit on 5/12/2008 by Bigwhammy]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join