It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy St George's day.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I'd like to wish all the English people who frequent this site a happy St George's day.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Why thank you

Shame we don't get it off as a public holiday,but never mind. *goes back to work*

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The man slew dragons; I must give him his props.

You go George!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
May this day of St George open your heart so once again you can stand tall and celebrate being an Englishman.

Happy St George's Day to all.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

doubtful,we ain't even allowed to fly the flag these days. (not that i'm a flag waver,but it's nice to have the choice)

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Some reminders of England:

Jerusalem - William Blake

England Belongs To Me - Cock SParrer

There'll Always Be An England - Vera Lynn

England - Angelic Upstarts

Last, but by no means least:

England My Home - The Levellers

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The legends are false, you agents of church and crown. That Roman murdered the dragon for no reason when it wasn't looking. It was not stealing all the females, and it bothered no one.

23 skidoo.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I counter all that soppy music,with some good old fashioned English Drum n Bass from a party in London i went to a couple of weeks ago.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Perhaps this would be a more appropriate Drum and Bass title for our foul Queendom?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sir Francis Bacon

naah,too mellooooow

I prefer it like this my selecta! (and this is what being english mean to me,freedom to dance in a field all night long!)
www.youtube.com... uk teknival illegal rave 2006

[edit on 23/4/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Good Sir, have you become almost completely insane? You obviously didn't listen to the whole track. It is anything but mellow. Matter-of-factly, it makes the track in the initial video you posted sound like ambient.

Slack, Sir. Slack.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sir Francis Bacon

Good Sir, have you become almost completely insane? You obviously didn't listen to the whole track. It is anything but mellow. Matter-of-factly, it makes the track in the initial video you posted sound like ambient.

Slack, Sir. Slack.
unfortunalty yes,i am insane
(I only got a chance to listen to the intro as i'm at work,will check it in full now (the main boss has gone back upstairs)

have listened,like it. Sounds a bit breakcorey,bu we like stuff like that!! Doormouse blew up my speakers a few months ago

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
unfortunalty yes,i am insane
(I only got a chance to listen to the intro as i'm at work,will check it in full now (the main boss has gone back upstairs)

have listened,like it. Sounds a bit breakcorey,bu we like stuff like that!! Doormouse blew up my speakers a few months ago

There's no harm done. A breakcore fan here, also. Though I wouldn't really consider Technical Itch to be breakcore, because there's no "core." Only breaks.

If you're into Doormouse check out Venetian Snares if you haven't already. I was going to post up a few of his tracks here, but he's a Canadian (even though he's not actually human) -- which would counteract the fervent nationalism present in this thread.

Hmmm.

Perhaps I will post up some Venetian Snares, then. Also look out for a track by him called Pressure Torture. It destroys everything.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Cock SParrer and Angelic Upstarts soppy??
Never thought I'd hear anyone say that.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
May this day of St George open your heart so once again you can stand tall and celebrate being an Englishman.

Well said that man.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I'm out of here for a while.

Getting ready to go and down a few in what should be a memorable day.
A few bands on and a couple of speakers.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jibbs

Well said that man.

What does St. George really even have to do with England, though? He wasn't from anywhere around here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he "kill the dragon" in Libya? He's also the patron saint of more than several countries, who also celebrate him. So what's specifically English or British about any of this?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Cock SParrer and Angelic Upstarts soppy??
Never thought I'd hear anyone say that.
I'm hardore,me

(to be honest,I've not heard of them
)

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Happy St Georges day to one and all.. I have to admit I still love Happy Hardcore, you can bounce away to the tunes all night.....

And just to clear things up , the patron Saint of England should be St Edmund, but some say there was one even earlier than him, can't remember his name. Think it begins with a 'C', he built the first cathedral in Canterbury back in the 3rd or 4th century.

St George was a christian from somewhere in the middle east, who got thrown to the lions... no dragons involved.

Peace....

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
A little info on St George.

George was born to a Christian family during the late third century. His father was from Cappadocia (now Turkey) and served as an officer of the Roman army. His mother was from Lydda, Iudaea (now Lod, Israel). She returned to her native city as a widow along with her young son, where she provided him with an education
The youth followed his father's example by joining the army soon after coming of age. He proved to be a good soldier and consequently rose through the military ranks of the time. By his late twenties he had gained the title of tribunus (Tribune) and then comes (Count), at which time George was stationed in Nicomedia as a member of the personal guard attached to Roman Emperor Diocletian.
In 303 Diocletian issued an edict authorizing the systematic persecution of Christians across the Empire. The emperor Galerius was supposedly responsible for this decision and would continue the persecution during his own reign (305–311). George was ordered to participate in the persecution but instead confessed to being a Christian himself and criticized the imperial decision. An enraged Diocletian ordered his torture and execution.
After various tortures, including laceration on a wheel of swords, in which he was miraculously resuscitated three times, George was executed by decapitation before Nicomedia's city wall, on April 23, 303. A witness of his suffering convinced Empress Alexandra and Athanasius, a pagan priest, to become Christians as well, and so they joined George in martyrdom. His body was returned to Lydda for burial, where Christians soon came to honour him as a martyr.

SOURCE

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join