It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the Bush

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
So I was reading a post and thought to myself, "If I had to run into a forest with only a knife..."
I was wondering how to deal with a few things.

[1] If you have a cut how would you be able to deal with the infection without having to tear pieces of clothing?

[2] Which plants are actually edible/poisonous if it is hard hunting animals?

[3] What is the best place to avoid animals such as bears, bobcats, and etc.

[4] What animal is the easiest to hunt?

[5] How do you make ropes for setting up snares?

[6] How do you make a bow, and arrows?

Keep in mind that different regions have different lumber, plants and animals. I am from Ontario, Canada. So if you can answer these questions or have questions of your own please post them up!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Good ole Canadian beavers are pretty easy to find in water systems. They practically tell you where they live with the homes and blockages. You can tell where they were last there by the fresh runs etc.

They are easy to trap or shoot. Easy to skin. Quality clothing in a snap!

If you run out into the forest with only a knife, you are not prepared! In that area there is probably wild strawberries which are very easy to identify (and tasty!)

I am in Saskatchewan, so if I were to go out in your scenario here, at this time of year, I would be looking for mushrooms.

I would basically only focus on these:

en.wikipedia.org...

(remember to cook them)

If you are lucky enough for some rain, you can find these and get some fresh water.

Later in the year I would be sure to stay OUT of the forest as I hate TICKS. I would look for partridges. They are incredibly stupid and better than chicken. Not much on them though. Easy to hunt. Very easy.

Im kinda hungry right now...

If you really wanted to make a bow, and I wouldn't, I would look for willows. You should be able to fashion and entire crude bow and arrow system out of willows and this should be fairly self explanatory.

I am not familiar with rope making in the wild.

If I was hiding in the forest, I would also stay away from water for the mosquitoes. They will eat you alive and keep you awake.

I would look for spruce because they tend to have less underbrush. You can fashion a good camp around quality spruce. Look for a couple close together. Get high up and you can store your food.

Thats what I would do. Number one tip... take more than a knife.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Dulcimer]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

Thanks for the reply!

What are the minimum essentials to carry in the bush?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I would not go anywhere for a long time without at least a compass, knife (or two), firearm (22) and ammo, method to start fire (sparker, torch etc), durable gloves, hatchet, backpack or some sort of case, bottle to hold water and quality clothing.

Clothing can really make a difference in your wilderness experience. Nobody wants to be cold. You can take it off, but you can't put it on if you don't have it.

Edit: And I would like to add to take some basic first aid materials. Some sort of liquid stitches product can cut down on its size.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Dulcimer]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The desert of the US Southwest.

How do you live in such a place such as this?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

I could tell you that bugs are the worst in such areas.

The only way I avoided them while sleeping was encasing myself completely with my sleeping bag...

new topics

top topics

join