It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Else Live Near A Power Plant?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   

The Pickering reactor was really shut down do to radiation creep affecting the control rods. The life span was half of what was engineered into the design.

They were suposed to be replaced. Do to them being so hot they were encased on site. I don't think the public even knows this. Lake ontario could be contaminated because of this. Nuclear should be banned.

On 9/11 there were rumors around Dunkirk NY of an unidenified man walking around the NRG power plant(Niagara Mowhak's old plant) taking pictures of the inside. He had fake ID and left before the police came. His white van was found to be stolen.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I remember the incident with the fake ID man at the Dunkirk Plant, and I remember it getting hushed up really quick. Weird stuff.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbo
I remember the incident with the fake ID man at the Dunkirk Plant, and I remember it getting hushed up really quick. Weird stuff.

An then not long after we all heard about the Lackawanna six which was around 60 miles away.

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Great point- i totally forgot about the Lackawanna 6.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
On clear days, I can see the steam produced by Limerick. I haven't worried about it though.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Energy_wave and bobbo, whereabouts are you all?

Bobbo, I live in Oswego county, south of Central Square. It's officially in the sticks but I'm very close to civilization, unlike most of the rest of the county...

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I live close to Davis Bessie also, it is shut down right now, so I don't really have any worries about that.

What I was wondering, how exactially would a terrorist attack a Nuclear Power Plant anyways? Short of putting a bomb RIGHT NEXT to the reactor, I don't see how they could REALSTICIALLY be damaged. If you had a bomb big enough to level an entire nuclear power plant, even if it took out the core, wouldn't the bomb still kill more people in a skyscraper, or densly populated area? Those reactor walls are not thin by any means (like 2 or 3 feet thick lead and like 6-12 feet of cement), and they are meant to take alot of forces I would imagine. No matter how crappy the security is in these plants, I still think the terrorists would have a hard time getting a 10,000 lb. bomb into a nuclear power plant.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
What does worry me was the fact that the plant was shut down due to corrosion on the lid and the part that regulates the rods. Not only that, but the corrosion should have been detected many years before it was. If the rods got stuck too far down, then we would have had a problem.

That was also hushed up really quick and not really covered in the local media.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I live about forty miles east of the Palisades nuclear plant that is located in Covert Michigan. After 9-11 security was ratcheted up quite a bit. The plant sits maybe 500 feet from the shore of Lake Michigan and one of the barrier walls actually extends into the lake. Me and a friend used to go fishing there because all the fish in the wintertime would hang out by the hot water exhaust tubes and it was easy picking for certain fish. Before you ask, no we did not eat anything nor did we enter the water. That part of the beach is now permanantly closed to the public.

I am not worried about a terrorist attack as much as i am the incompetence of the people running the plant, they seem to have shut-downs a lot due to various problems, they also have a potentially disastrous policy of storing cement casks containing spent fuel rods sitting on a concrete platform just some 250 feet from the water, if for some reason sudden erosion happened who knows what would happen to the casks? There have already been problems with cracks on the sides of the casks but the powers that be quickly dismissed that as a minor issue.

That being said i do have a contingency plan for a fast exit south or north if something were to happen, sad thing is that i would be relying on the plant actually fessing up to an accident before i would know anything.

My apologies for all the edits, it seems that my ability to make a spelling perfect post are absent the past couple days.
[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Disastro]

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Disastro]

[Edited on 23-3-2004 by Disastro]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
i live about 20 miles north of the Fermi nuclear facility on the western shores of lake erie, in michigan. then about 60 miles from another plant on the northern shores of ohio.

nuclear energy should NOT be banned.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I used to live in a large city maybe 30 miles from a nuclear power station. Years before 9-11 I became a little bit concerned about security when I got lost in the area of the station. I drove to it to ask the guard at the gate for directions, duh no one was home. No help there. I've heard things have really changed now.

In fact I heard about a pre-planned aerial raid to scale the fences of a nuclear plant after 9-11 with the military guys all dressed up. Anyway that was a bad call, every branch of law enforcement, the fire dept. , and perhaps even the national guard were out there to stop them. Things have changed.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
at night, the sky is orange out here....

I dont think the nuclear powerplant that is maybe 12 miles away from me is a target, because its a low populated area..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join