It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Interesting Assessment of the Food Shortage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
According to Swaminathan Aiyar, basically, it's the greens that are responisble, even though he fingers Bush, as well. It seems to me that Bush's part in this problem is really a response to the growing green movement, even though Bush couches his policies regarding bio-fuels as an effort to become independent of foreign oil.

Whatever your point of view, I think Mr. Aiyar's analysis is worthy of consideration.

George Bush and the greens, usually foes, have joined forces to create a food shortage that today threatens millions in poor countries with hunger and starvation.

Greens have long demonized the consumption of petroleum and genetically modified foods, and crusaded against carbon. To this fatal broth, Bush has added the notion of energy independence for the US, backed by enormous subsidies and mandatory targets for converting corn to alcohol. This policy aims at doubling use of corn-based alcohol in gasoline by 2008, and quintupling it by 2022. Europe has mandated 10% use of biofuels in transport by 2020.

The result is a rising diversion of agricultural land from food to fuels. This has happened just as fast economic growth has lifted the demand for meat in many developing countries, and it takes several tons of grain to produce one ton of meat.

newsweek.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 2008/4/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Congress legislates, not presidents. Presidents can set policy, but the Congress is responsible for the susidies. I might add, that it is Democratically controlled Congress that has initiated these subsidies.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by sharkman]

[edit on 22-4-2008 by sharkman]

new topics

join