It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices rise further above $3.50, while oil nears $120

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Yes, I know, the typical american way of life is very dependent on large daily deslocations on private vehicles.
It would be logical to use vehicles with higher mileages (smaller cars, diesel, etc.) if you make so many miles, however what generally happens is the opposite.
In Portugal, large taxes based on the cubic displacement of the engines, altough often criticized, have made our cars less thirsty. An eight cilinder car is a very rare sight.
Generally, only people who don't make many kilometers will go for the gasoline versions.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I know that I will get skewered for this, but here goes.

From 2006:

ExxonMobil just reported the largest annual profit ever by a U.S. company — a staggering $39.5 billion.

While ExxonMobil recorded record profits last year, it also paid $100.7 billion in taxes — two-and-half times its net profits, according to the Tax Foundation. source

The answer is not raising taxes even more. Taxes are considered a cost and when the cost of business goes up, so do the prices.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Boone 870

ExxonMobil's revenue for the fiscal year of 2007 was over 400 billion dollars, the largest of any corporation on the Earth. $40 billion of that was pure profit.

The same for 2006, with over $300 billion in revenue, and as you said $39 billion in pure profit. So they paid about 1/3 of their revenue in taxes in 2006. That sounds about right.

They can afford to help payback what they take away, which is the food out of people's mouths. $500 million is what the UN WFP is asking for. Which is a drop out of $400 billion. ExxonMobil's revenue is almost as high as the United States Defense Budget.

I fully expect for the fiscal year of 2008, that ExxonMobil's revenue will outpace the US Defense Budget for 2008. Now think about that for a second. Then think about millions of people starving across the world.
Is it worth it?

[edit on 22/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Diesel where i work is £1.19.9 per litre and unleaded is £1.09.9

So really america you should count yourselves lucky

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Migwah

Do you drive 80km to work everyday? Around 400km a week?

High petrol prices due to taxes have no bearing when you barely drive or work a couple klicks down the road.

I would be ecstatic if I worked within 5 miles. I drive 25 miles to school, 25 miles back. That doesn't include any stops or the 200 mile there and 200 mile back trip once a month for drills.

[edit on 23/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Since when do you pay taxes on gross revenue you pay them on the bottom line the actual profits. These guys could of profited a hell of a lot more to pay taxes on but they pay their execs HUGE amounts of money and the HUGE amounts they spend on paying off congress (that costs too ya know) Instead of paying 15 billion in taxes they should of paid 30 billion.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

ExxonMobil's revenue for the fiscal year of 2007 was over 400 billion dollars, the largest of any corporation on the Earth. $40 billion of that was pure profit.

The same for 2006, with over $300 billion in revenue, and as you said $39 billion in pure profit. So they paid about 1/3 of their revenue in taxes in 2006. That sounds about right.

They can afford to help payback what they take away, which is the food out of people's mouths. $500 million is what the UN WFP is asking for. Which is a drop out of $400 billion. ExxonMobil's revenue is almost as high as the United States Defense Budget.

I fully expect for the fiscal year of 2008, that ExxonMobil's revenue will outpace the US Defense Budget for 2008. Now think about that for a second. Then think about millions of people starving across the world.
Is it worth it?

And again, they're making more off each gallon than they officially state, because what you actually buy at the gas station today, Exxon purchased at least a month ago (usually much longer) at a much lower market value, but they charge you a price based on the current market value as it was at the closing bell yesterday. There was a time when they weren't allowed to do that; the price at the pump was essentially fixed in relation to the price paid for the crude at the time it was purchased from the supplier. Consider that most Big Oil companies have reserves of crude they're sitting on, unrefined, either in tanks or still in the ground (paid for but not pumped out yet), sometimes a year's worth or more, and one can easily see just how much we're being screwed. Go pump gas today and pay today's market value for oil bought thirteen months ago for around half the price. Gouging? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

They can afford to help payback what they take away, which is the food out of people's mouths.
That's absurd. Exxon/Mobil has never taken anything from anyone. When was the last time Exxon forced anybody to buy their product? Again, adding to the cost of business is not going to make the product cheaper.

If you're going to point the finger of blame at any group for the high food prices and shortages, point it at our idiotic politicians and their foolish ethanol standards.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Believe this or not, it really happened. I was in a gas station locally about a month ago buying a soda, when I heard a big commotion going on at the checkout counter. An elderly gentleman had just bought gas at the pump which was marked at one price, but before he came in to pay, the station had been told to raise the price by the distributor over the phone.

They actually made this old guy pay the new price per gallon rather than what was shown on the pump. He objected strongly and called them crooks, but they threatened him with the police, so he went ahead and payed the difference.

In Kentucky if you steal gas you can lose your license for up to two years! It's displayed boldly on the pumps now with a picture of a police officer holding a driver's license in his hand. I wonder how much that law cost the oil distributors to get passed?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Lloyd45

In Kentucky if you steal gas you can lose your license for up to two years! It's displayed boldly on the pumps now with a picture of a police officer holding a driver's license in his hand.

Ha Ha Ha , That really made me laugh! We have the same pictures on the pumps in Ohio
Also. But most of them I have seen have a little Hitler mustache drawn on them.

Gas prices are no laughing matter tho. I mostly ride a motorcycle around now.(40MPG) And I still have my old reel type push mower, blades sharpened and ready to go. I call it my “leave it to Beaver mower” good exercise for an old man…saves me from having to drive an SUV to the gym!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I want gas prices to go to $5.00 per gal.

Maybe we can get all the losers who don't know how to drive off the road!!!

Look at it this way, maybe less people will use gas and we could put a dent into all these greenhouse gases that are destroying our planet!!!!

At least the polar bears will be safe............................

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomfrusso

Look at it this way, maybe less people will use gas and we could put a dent into all these greenhouse gases that are destroying our planet!!!!

And more people will be on welfare because they can't afford to work. Great idea!

Unless you live in a metropolitan area with a decent transit system, or rich, or in an area where the weather is good you're close enough to bike it or walk most of the year you're pretty much screwed. I can't even imagine how bad this is for truckers. I'm sure glad I went to broadcasting school instead of truck driver training...

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomfrusso

If it comes to the polar bears surviving or me and my kids surviving Id bid a'revoir to the bears.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Believe this or not, it really happened. I was in a gas station locally about a month ago buying a soda, when I heard a big commotion going on at the checkout counter. An elderly gentleman had just bought gas at the pump which was marked at one price, but before he came in to pay, the station had been told to raise the price by the distributor over the phone.

They actually made this old guy pay the new price per gallon rather than what was shown on the pump. He objected strongly and called them crooks, but they threatened him with the police, so he went ahead and payed the difference.

That's why I pre-pay, every time, even if it's not required (most places in Illinois require pre-pay now).

In Kentucky if you steal gas you can lose your license for up to two years! It's displayed boldly on the pumps now with a picture of a police officer holding a driver's license in his hand. I wonder how much that law cost the oil distributors to get passed?

We've got those here too. The picture is some fat mustachioed cop in a white shirt who looks like he has to poop.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I cracked up at this:

CNN on gas

Nearby, Dolly Sarlo fills up her black Mercedes. She says it's time for Americans to "vote with your dollars and to stop using gas" and use public transportation more.

"That would really, very quickly bring down the price," she says.

She then drives off.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
As I posted yesterday. It's $4.01 for 93 here in D.C. And 89 is very hard to find. I'm thinking about buying a motorcycle...My buddy has a GSXR 750 and cost him $40 a month and he drives the hell out of that thing. And $40 bucks you can't beat that with a bat!.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Anytime anyone buys a bag of rice or flour in some Third World country, they pay for the fuel that delivered that it. Thats if they can even afford it.

The Politicians are just as guilty.

[edit on 23/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Migwah
Diesel where i work is £1.19.9 per litre and unleaded is £1.09.9

So really america you should count yourselves lucky

3.785 x 1.099 = $4.159 per Gallon of unleaded wherever you are Migwah

That's not much more than what we are paying, our blessings in the fuel department are running dry, it's effecting everyone the same, except for those that have to pay over $100.00 to fill up their work trucks.

I've done my part at trying to help my personal pocket book, and that's to move closer to work, many folks can't do that. I bought a new car with 7 miles on it in July 2005, I just barely turned 30,000 miles last week. I still only put 20 bucks in at a fill up, and I still only fill up twice a month. But I ride my bike a bit more nowadays.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wyldwylly

You forget that the pound is double the dollar

That 1.19 is closer to 2.38

Now 2.38*3.785 is a little more than 9 dollars a gallon. So yes, we are paying ALOT more.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Euroche

Actually its around $1.98 to 1 pound, at least today.

So around $9 a gallon?

Whats is the minimum wage in the UK?
How much of that $9 goes to taxes for various social programs?
How far do you drive to work?
How often do you fill your car up?

Minimum wage, $5.85 in the US at 40 hours a week for a month and is only $936 before taxes. I have no idea where I came up with that $1,404 figure before, maybe overtime or some state minimum. The National Average is $986 before taxes. 20% of that is going to go away in taxes roughly. So that leaves someone around $788 a month. This is what most Real Americans start out making a month, blue collar and service jobs like Walmart. That pay usually tops out around $12/hour for many blue collar and service jobs like Walmart. Which is still only around $1500 a month after taxes, which is around what the majority of Americans make.

Now out of that $1500 he or she is probably going to spend $400 on gas, especially for older model vehicles which people usually own if theyre only making $1500 a month, so theirs no car note and only limited insurance coverage, Which is another $100 itself. So average joe is already out of $500, leaving $1000 for groceries, utilities and other bills. Usually you can throw in child support or the costs of dependents as well. This usually leaves Average joe close to broke or negative every month.

Can you see where I'm going with this? The Vast majority of Americans make less than $30,000 a year before taxes. The Fuel Prices and Cost of Living are not balancing out with Wages. I'm betting people in the UK, even with $9/gallon petrol, are in a better position both in fuel economy and finance than most Americans across the pond.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join