It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas prices rise further above $3.50, while oil nears $120

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Gas prices rise further above $3.50, while oil nears $120

biz.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (AP) -- Gas and oil prices moved further into record high territory Tuesday, with retail gas reaching a national average of $3.51 for the first time and crude nearing $120 as the dollar fell to a new low against the euro.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Egad, when is this going to stop? I thought we might level out by now. $120 a barrel?! In some places in the US, gas is close to $5 a gallon and its not even Summer yet. People are starving to death from Indonesia to Egypt due to high food prices related to high oil prices. Yet the Energy Industries are making profits?!

People are dying. Apparently all of that money that people in the First World have been spending to improve their standard of living needs to be in the bank accounts of the oil cartels. What little money people have in the Third World to survive apparently also needs to be there. Can someone tell me why people have to die and standards of living have to be lowered to fill their bank accounts?

Congress or someone needs to pass some laws to force them to take a miniscule $500 million out of their multi billions of dollars of profits and donate it for food aid. If they don't get their heads out of their wallets and start paying attention to the world, their going to have dozens of French style, Iranian style, and Russian style Revolutions all over the planet.

Hungry, Broke people do not make Happy People.

biz.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
One garage i passed today was selling diesel at £1.20 per litre
even though the car i drive at the moment is really good on fuel it's still costing a fortune to fill, just glad i got rid of my old car that did around 4mpg when it was booted

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Gas is now $3.68/gallon now in my neck of the woods. Yesterday it was $3.52..

Good thing they now have digital signs, and don't have to go change the numbers by hand daily. I know that must have been trying for the station workers.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

$3.69 here...

I literally chocked when I saw it..

I just bought a new car that gets much much better gas millage (2008 Scion Xd compared to a very, very beat up 1996 Cavalier) so I fill up about one less time a week.

Still hurts though.. almost $60 to fill my little compact... and the car that was in front of me, a Hummer, spent over $200 on gas..

But the dollar keeps falling, further and faster then anyone could have imagined.. its like a slow building pressure on America's little bubble of reality, which eventually will pop, or explode, or implode, or just melt away..

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Our little 4 banger costs about the same to fill up, and we use at least one tank a week for work and travel. That doesn't include my Ram truck that gets a whopping 13 mpg. Thankfully I only put about 20 or 30 miles on it a week at most.

Prices change daily around here.. I guess the costs of the gas already in their underground tanks appreciates like other precious commodities. I know they only get shipments once a week, so there shouldn't be any fluctuations. It's price gouging, but who do you complain to about it?

[edit on 4/22/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Last i checked here in North West PA, it was 3.59/gallon, I'm just glad i gave up driving my car about 2 years ago, when i finally said i had enough of this horrible mess involving high gas prices and sucking our money out of us clean and dry. . . And when i look back on that choice i made, Damn I'm glad i did. Though making it around is sometimes hard, i always get to where i need to be.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

It used to be that gas stations' pump prices had to be fixed according to the price they paid for what was actually in their storage tanks, and they weren't allowed to change it. Basically, if they bought a tankload of gas today with a market price of $3.49/gallon, they couldn't turn around tomorrow and raise it to $3.70--they had to keep it at $3.49 until ALL the gas they had bought at that price was used up. Now they can change it constantly with every fluctuation in the market. This is but one of many reasons they've made record profits--today I passed a station advertising regular for $3.89/gallon. That gas was bought and paid for when the market price was $3.18. They're artificially inflating the price at the pump well above what they've actually paid for that gas.

And we wonder why America's bleeding from the anus.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

There will be a point where people will cease to tolerate that idiotic idea.

I look at it this way. The UN needs $500 million dollars for its food programme to keep people from starving to death across the Third World. Exxon makes multi billions of dollars of profit per quarter.

Is it really worth it to kill people in the Third World and ruin the standard of living in the First World to make billions in profits every quarter?

If the energy industries dont quickly turn some of those profits into humanitarian aid and they let the food crisis turn into a Negligent Genocide, the Corpocrats may find themselves in the same position of Priests and Noblemen during the French Revolution.

Why must people suffer on the account of their bank accounts?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The same people that can't afford food can't afford gas, so what does Exxon care if they live or not?

Money is all they want, so they aren't about to give half a billion away to the poor that can't reinvest it into their empire.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
There will be a point where people will cease to tolerate that idiotic idea.

Sooner rather than later, one would hope.

I look at it this way. The UN needs $500 million dollars for its food programme to keep people from starving to death across the Third World. Exxon makes multi billions of dollars of profit per quarter.

And still hasn't paid the bills for the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

Is it really worth it to kill people in the Third World and ruin the standard of living in the First World to make billions in profits every quarter?

I guess, if it buys new yachts for the corporate officers, they think it is.

If the energy industries dont quickly turn some of those profits into humanitarian aid and they let the food crisis turn into a Negligent Genocide, the Corpocrats may find themselves in the same position of Priests and Noblemen during the French Revolution.

That's why they've been working with Blackwater and similar groups to create private mercenary armies. Gotta protect their "assets", ya know.

Why must people suffer on the account of their bank accounts?

To hear the Rabid Right talk about it, it's all our fault for not being millionaires, like somehow anyone making less than six or seven figures is just a lazy-azz bass turd.

BTW any room in Cobra for a disgruntled former Joe supporter?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yeah same here I made a stupid mistake I traded my 2008 lexus LS460L to cut back because I saw the slowing economy to a 2008 Yukon Denali I went from 24mpg to 10 mpg but I was saving a ton in my monthly car payment so I was happy..well 3 months ago after paying 1200 a month is gas between my two vehicles to traded both my yukons in one for a 2008 toyota yaris and a 2008 toyota highlander so now Im saving a ton on payments and the yaris gets 35 mpg and it only costs me $35 to fill it up LOL!!!!!!! The highlander gets like 20 mpg but its good for a SUV and I need one for my wife and 3 kids to haul around but now my monthly gas bill is about $400 a savings of $800 a month and in times like this when my business is deaaaadddddd slow Ill take it.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
30 miles a WEEK?

I bought the damn thing with 75 miles on it, only had it for 5 days and it already has about 650 miles on it (and I travel lite on the weekends) .. just to and from work is 30 miles a day.

Which is why I had to buy a new car lol. When we calculated my beat up old car it got 9-11 mpg .. new one gets 34 on average (or so says the little mpg meter..)

Anyways, American society cannot function with nearing $4 a gallon for gas.. I honestly pitty anyone who makes minimum wage, or hell, even the wages I made at some of my old jobs.. they litterally work to drive to work. and seeing as America is so vastly spread out (suburbanized) folks like me who drive insane miles just to get to work will suffer the most. Though of course, I am with the majority of people.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
30 miles a WEEK?

I bought the damn thing with 75 miles on it, only had it for 5 days and it already has about 650 miles on it (and I travel lite on the weekends) .. just to and from work is 30 miles a day.

Which is why I had to buy a new car lol. When we calculated my beat up old car it got 9-11 mpg .. new one gets 34 on average (or so says the little mpg meter..)

Anyways, American society cannot function with nearing $4 a gallon for gas.. I honestly pitty anyone who makes minimum wage, or hell, even the wages I made at some of my old jobs.. they litterally work to drive to work. and seeing as America is so vastly spread out (suburbanized) folks like me who drive insane miles just to get to work will suffer the most. Though of course, I am with the majority of people.

30 miles a week? I dont think I said that I travel way more than 30 miles a week. I spend around $70 a week to fill up because I fill up 2x a week. I fill up the Highlander 1x a week. I was filling up the other day and there was a Ford Excursion right next to me filling up and he was a little $100 to fill up and he looked over at me and I was at $33 and he says to me "Ive had enough Im going and getting one of those" I looked at him and laughed and I told him that I was in his position not to long ago...

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Its really amazing what Angry and Hungry people can do, when pushed. Especially when many of those people are relatives and friends of people in the military.

There will come a time, when people must make a stand. They will have to choose to fight for what they believe in or fight for profit. When that time comes many people, civillian and military both, will stand as one. Not for profit or for greed but they will fight for our families, our wives, our children, our brothers and sisters. They will fight for our future guided by a force more powerful than all the wealth on the earth, that binds and brings families togther, the human capacity for love.

The Corpocrats need to wake up. Less they be awakened by the hungry and angry masses and dragged out of their Corporate Versailles into the streets. They need to realize there is an event horizon that they are getting closer and closer to crossing. One that will inspire violent revolution and retribution.

I am not advocating violence. I am just pointing out reality and history. People are only going to put up with so much before they go ballistic. Its happened time after time.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's weird to see americans complaining about their gas prices when in Portugal, for what you call a gallon, we are paying 5.77 euros, something like 9.22 dollars. And keep in mind that the minimum wage here is 400 euros a month...

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Borthwey

Two things(make that three
) about Europe. I lived in Germany for a few years.

European high petrol prices are due to taxes, ours are not.

Second, Americans drive around 40 to 50 miles to work everyday, we don't have the luxuries of good mass transit systems.

Lastly minimum wage here is 1,404 dollars or 883 Euros before Taxes. That is barely enough to pay for gas and groceries let alone any other bills. $200 to $400 of it goes just to fuel a month.

[edit on 22/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Not to mention about 20% goes to income tax, another 15%ish or so goes to Medicair tax (yeah, its a tax, for some freaking unknown reason people don't think of it as one, its just an extension of the Income Tax)

But the most important thing of all is exactly what you said--- American's drive.... a LOT!

We HAVE to..

Europeans have trains, buses, all that good stuff, subways.. we got our cars and highways that are under construction 365 days a year. Sucks.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by Borthwey

Two things about Europe. I lived in Germany for a few years.

European high petrol prices are due to taxes, ours are not.

Second, Americans drive around 40 to 50 miles to work everyday, we don't have the luxuries of good mass transit systems.

Lastly minimum wage here is 1,404 dollars or 883 Euros before Taxes. That is barely enough to pay for gas and groceries let alone any other bills. $200 to $400 of it goes just to fuel a month.

Taxes and insurance alone is enough to bankrupt most people...this about this..lets say you did everything right you saved up payed for cars in cash no payments and lets say you saved up 200k for a house and paid for that in cash. You would think gee great no bills I should be able to live my life in peace...wrong.

Car insurance approx $125.00 a mo
Health Insurance Approx $500.00 mo with wife and 3 kids.
Property Taxes on 200k house in this area $600.00 mo
House Insurance $100.00 mo
That is $1325.00 a month or $15900.00 a year. If you average person makes what 35k a year that is almost half of their money going to taxes and insurances...and on top of this the high gas prices and food prices frankly I do not see how people make it especially in reality we know most people dont have their houses or cars paid for they make payments...slave to debt..

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone saw it, but I'm pretty sure Fox News predicted Sunday night that gas prices will be above $5/gallon by the end of the summer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join