It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas open to peace with Israel, Carter says.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

JERUSALEM–Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter says the militant Palestinian group Hamas would be willing to live peacefully alongside Israel, despite being formally opposed to the existence of the Jewish state.

The only condition demanded by Hamas, he said, is that a peace deal with Israel first be ratified by Palestinians either through a referendum or by means of an election.

"They said they would accept a Palestinian state on 1967 borders if it was approved by Palestinians," Carter told an audience of about 250 Israelis gathered at a Jerusalem hotel yesterday.

"Hamas will accept a decision by the Palestinian people – even if Hamas is opposed to the agreement."

But later in the day exiled Hamas supreme leader Khaled Mashaal sent mixed signals, stressing that his group would accept a Palestinian state next door to Israel but would never outright recognize the Jewish state.

www.thestar.com...

Looks like there is some progress with what Mr. Carter is doing. Hama is willing to live peacably beside Israel but won't recognize them? Will accept the will of the Palestinian people? Those are things we haven't heard before.

The status quo isn't working, try something new. One can hope that there will be continued dialog and something concrete will come out of this.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I commend Carter for his efforts, and if he can move the Palestinians and the Israelis even a few inches closer to agreement the trip is worth it. I am doubtful, though, if the Palestinians will everrecognize Israel or her right to exist, and that's a major obstacle no one has yet been able to overcome. If they would just even pretend they accept her it would be a beginning.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
I commend Carter for his efforts, and if he can move the Palestinians and the Israelis even a few inches closer to agreement the trip is worth it.

My thinking all along. Try something, as opposed to continue along a path that isn't working at all.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I'm 100% sure couple weeks later it will all be back to normal. It will all go back to Israelians and Palestinians killing each other, that's the normality of the region. No offence but that's just the way it is. The zionist government rulling Israel will never stop occupying more Palestinian territoris because of their beliefe, hence "the promised land". They want it all, and the Palistinians will never stop fighting, "the occupation" because they believe that you "must" fight if your land is occupied, hence "JIHAD".

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Lies intrepid. We can't be having diplomacy. What does that ever solve?

Who does Carter think he is? Going around, trying to "talk" instead of just bombing. He could have at least gone into negotiations with a bomb strapped to his chest.

I mean, what is this world coming to when America starts using actual diplomacy again?

*Edited:

^^ Not sure if I laid the sarcasm on thick enough.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
lol i get your sarcasim

new topics

top topics

join