It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US puts UK Typhoon jet contract with Saudi Arabia at risk

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
It could be that the issue is what version of the AMRAAM is to be exported.

I can't imagine that the version we export to Britain would be the same version we export to SA. There are substantial differences between some of the variants, some of which do not appear in Jane's or in air show pamphlets.

P

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Pyros. That is true, but the missiles don't get delivered with the plane, in the same box as it were. The Typhoon will work equally with the stockpile of older AMRAAM's that the Saudi's have already bought from uncle sam.

Lee, Yes, this is exactly what I suspect is the real motive, hence my allusion to the F-15 deal which we are supposed to believe the Saudi's signed up for without any lubrication whatsoever. Yeah right

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I hear the issue about market share but why would the US congress be able to nix a weapons deal that involves a European weapons system that has as far as anybody can tell, no signifigant US made parts

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I'm still guessing part of the avionics suite or EW suite is manufactured by the US and they don't want it available.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

The justice department is concerned that approval could hamper an investigation into whether BAE violated U.S. laws by allegedly bribing Saudi officials over a previous arms deal known as Al-Yamamah, the FT said. BAE has denied any wrongdoing.
uk.news.yahoo.com...

So objections are about bribery NOT tech transpher which i think we are all agreed.

But again why would the US Admin need to approve the sale? Even if there was corruption and graft? I mean Im pretty sure Boeing and Lockmart et al don't want thier 'Saudi" deals look at either

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Because the US selectively applies laws and pressure in it's own interest. I'm still not sure, however, that there is not more to the story, and this isn't a way to press the screws, so to speak.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm just wondering what would happen if the UK said "F You!" to the US and sold Saudi the Typhoon, anyway?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by HatTrick

I suspose they could, but then if there truly is an essential part of the avionics the US could say that right back and withold other parts.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

Everybody applies pressure if its in thier interests. The EU does it as well.

I agree there is way more back story here then we have seen so far.

Why?

1) Saudi already has some pretty advanced US equipment.
2) Im pretty sure that US contractors do not want the EU looking hard at thier deals with the Saudi government either
3) The Typhoon is way advanced and would be the premier a/c in the area but its not the F-22 of the JSF

None of this adds up. Nor would scuttling the deal mean that Saudi would snap up F-15 or F/A-18E's.

If the deal gets scuttled, the easy retalaition is the JSF. EU contries could really put the screws to the US by dropping out or limiting buys etc.

Perhaps the other issue is Isreal. If the Saudi's get the Typhoon, I can see thier lobby already gearing up to have the US give them (Note give, not buy) the Raptor. That may be the major political question.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It wasn't meant as a "slam" on US policy. It was just a statement of fact. I agree. Everybody is looking out for #1 in the arena. They just are (and arguably should be); to think otherwise, is to be a bit naive.
Interesting point about Israel. Perhaps we're trying to keep the local arms race down to a manageable pace.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Israel would be more than will to buy a couple of dozen 22s if they were available for purchase. I think this would be more to counter the increase in Iranian arms buildup than the Saudis.

Future IAF

Jensy

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jensy

Israel buy weapons? Hahaha, I never thought I'd hear someone say that..

What they do is they receive X Billion US $ from the USA in "Aid", which is then used to "buy" US made weapons.

Effectively, Israel gets free weaponry from the US, with it being an efficient means of ensuring continued arms contracts for US companies.

Israel benefits by having access to advanced weapon systems they would otherwise not be able to produce and the US economy benefits by creating wealth and jobs.

It's not really aid, but wealth redistribution. It's the same with all US aid. It is provided under the condition it is spent on American products, effectively cycling the "aid" back into the US economy.

The only real losers are the US taxpayers, who of course have to foot the bill.

As for the topic at hand, the official reasoning is because of the Raytheon system in early RAF Typhoons, as that is the ONLY US originated system to be found in the Typhoon. I'm sure the actual reason is probably to try and scupper the deal, as others have stated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join