It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly released log shows history of approval of Gt'mo torture led to the very top

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Newly released log shows history of approval of Gt'mo torture led to the very top

www.opednews.com

Philippe Sands follows the torture trail right to the top.

On Tuesday, December 2 2002, Donald Rumsfeld signed a piece of paper that changed the course of history. That same day, President Bush signed a bill to put the Pentagon in funds for the next year. The US faced unprecedented challenges, Bush told a large and enthusiastic audience, and terror was one of them. The US would respond to these challenges, and it would do so in the "finest traditions of valour". And then he signed a large increase in the defence budget.

Elsewhere in the Pentagon, an event took place for which there was no comment, no fanfare. With a signature and a few scrawled words, Rumsfeld reneged on the tradition of valour to which Bush had referred. Principles for the conduct of interrogation, dating back more than a century to President Lincoln's famous instruction of 1863 that "military necessity does not admit of cruelty", were discarded. He approved new and aggressive interrogation techniques that would produce devastating consequences.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Also see this

[edit on 22/4/2008 by budski]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Final documented proof of how torture tactics were conceived and implemented.

Of course those who support these barbaric practices will again bleat about "who defines torture" despite the fact it has been defined many times.

This is proof of war crimes - no if's, ands, or buts.

Bush & Co are war criminals, and should be treated as such at the start of 2009.

www.opednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Hey Budski, you should try our new search, it works great. Ijust entered Philippe Sands, and look what --beside your thread-- came up.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's just the open ones.

However I won't close your thread, because this is the most important news on the White House since Watergate.

Because I think the topic deserves all the attention it can get. At least as much as any taser incident or UFO flyover. You know they can run for 30+ pages. Only one of the above threads ran for more than 1 page.

I wish you better luck ...and WAKE UP AMERICA!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Cheers mate - it amazes me that it has taken this long for a journalist to put it all together.

The article itself runs for 7 pages and lists the events in good detail, in a timeline.

I only hope that more people read - I'm not TOO bothered about replies, as long as people read and see how the events unfolded.

Thanks again for the support on this very important issue which affects ALL of us - not just the US.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
We can only hope when Sand's book is out on May 1st that it will draw more attention than this thread. It has been up for a whole day of 12 hrs now, a period of which about 30,000 Americans have been logged on ...but only about 80 views have gone to this thread.

It's sad and discouraging.

One more time... AMERICA WAKE UP!

Or maybe it's like the Bob Dylan song "Things Have Changed":

Some things are too hot to touch
The human mind can only stand that much

..and it goes on

You can't win with a loosing hand

Don't accept that, at least, if you have to, you must "die trying."

I can do nothing but write here, I'm not American (if I was I would be in black hole by now)...

So please folks, at least flag and star this thread.

Thinking about the alternative is more than my mind can stand.

[edit on 22/4/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I was just going to look for a place to put this and hit recent posts... low and behold this thread was on top... good find budski!

Waterboarding film spoofs luxury adverts

The water glistens as it arcs through the air, the edgy electronic soundtrack creating a sense of anticipation.

Not the latest advert for a luxury brand of bottled water, but a disturbing new film depicting the process of waterboarding, the controversial interrogation method used by US security services.

The video is linked from that page.

My one question, though...

"Bush & Co are war criminals, and should be treated as such at the start of 2009." -- budski

Why wait til 2009? This should have been done in 2006 after those elections.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
On the techniques developed, an important excerpt from page 3 of the OP-link on how they came about.

When the new techniques were more or less finalised, Dunlavey needed them to be approved by Lieutenant Colonel Diane Beaver, his staff judge advocate in Guantánamo. "We had talked and talked, brainstormed, then we drew up a list," he said. The list was passed on to Diane Beaver."

Several months passed before I met Beaver. By then, like Dunlavey, she was being sued in American courts, although the cases were later dropped. Beaver told me she arrived in Guantánamo in June 2002. In September that year there was a series of brainstorming meetings, some of which were led by Beaver, to gather possible new interrogation techniques. Ideas came from all over the place, she said. Discussion was wide-ranging. Beaver mentioned one source that I didn't immediately follow up with her: "24 - Jack Bauer."

It was only when I got home that I realised she was referring to the main character in Fox's hugely popular TV series, 24. Bauer is a fictitious member of the Counter Terrorism Unit in LA who helped to prevent many terror attacks on the US; for him, torture and even killing are justifiable means to achieve the desired result. Just about every episode had a torture scene in which aggressive techniques of interrogations were used to obtain information.

Potential techniques included taking the detainees out of their usual environment, so they didn't know where they were or where they were going; the use of hoods and goggles; the use of sexual tension, which was "culturally taboo, disrespectful, humiliating and potentially unexpected"; creating psychological drama. Beaver recalled that smothering was thought to be particularly effective, and that Dunlavey, who'd been in Vietnam, was in favour because he knew it worked.

The younger men would get particularly agitated, excited even: "You could almost see their dicks getting hard as they got new ideas." A wan smile crossed Beaver's face. "And I said to myself, you know what, I don't have a dick to get hard. I can stay detached."

Pensive thoughts on the interaction between MSN and MSM in general can't help but arise in me reading this.

Is it really so that this great reality of ours has become nothing but a never-ending live snuff movie?

Too exciting (sexual undertones) for anybody to stop?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
A Washington Post article on the use of drugs on Guantanomo inmates.
Detainees Allege Being Drugged, Questioned

Nusairi, now free in Saudi Arabia, was unable to learn what drugs were injected before his interrogations. He is not alone in wondering: At least two dozen other former and current detainees at Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere say they were given drugs against their will or witnessed other inmates being drugged, based on interviews and court documents.

Yet the allegations have resurfaced because of the release this month of a 2003 Justice Department memo that explicitly condoned the use of drugs on detainees.

Written to provide legal justification for interrogation practices, the memo by then-Justice Department lawyer John C. Yoo rejected a decades-old U.S. ban on the use of "mind-altering substances" on prisoners. Instead, he argued that drugs could be used as long as they did not inflict permanent or "profound" psychological damage. U.S. law "does not preclude any and all use of drugs," Yoo wrote in the memo. He declined to comment for this article.

The injections left a searing impression among some former detainees, said Emi MacLean, a lawyer for the Center for Constitutional Rights, which represents dozens of current and former detainees. She said the stories merit investigation in light of the Yoo memo and the record of previous CIA experiments with truth serums as well psychotropic drugs.

A different type of injection seemed to be reserved for detainees who were particularly uncooperative, Benchellali said, describing episodes that four other former detainees also cited in interviews or legal documents. "The injection would make them crazy," he said. "They would have a crisis or dementia - yelling, no longer sleeping, soiling themselves. Some of us suspected they were given '___'."

I believe it to be scopolamine. It was the original "truth serum" used by the nazis. Possibly in a mixture with other psychoactive drugs.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think the key here is former detainees

Innocent people arrested and detained with no due process and then tortured on the orders of Bush & co.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
this is absolutely horrific!!!!

FLAGGED!!!!

more people need to be drawn to this thread, in hopes of waking the now "Sleeping hopeful dreamers" that the world as we know it is a bunch of lies, and unless we stand up as a whole. . . As a species and the caretakers of our sweet mother earth. . .these tyrants will be knocking on our door one day saying "Its time for your meds"

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I find it a little bizarre that so many people don't question the legality of their governments actions.

Perhaps when they start to arrest and torture their own citizens, people will start to wake up.

Of course by then it will be too late.

For those that say it could never happen, think again, and look at how various pieces of legislation have been used to target US citizens - particularly legislation relating to the mythical "war on terror" such as the patriot act and the homeland security act, as well as the new homegrown terror legislation.

new topics

top topics

join