It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For First Time in Years, Gasoline Consumption is Dropping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

For First Time in Years, Gasoline Consumption is Dropping

www.mcclatchydc.com

U.S. drivers are doing something they haven’t done for nearly two decades — consume less gasoline.

Gas consumption so far this year is down about 0.2 percent compared to last year, according to the Energy Information Administration. The federal agency is predicting that gasoline demand will be down 0.4 percent this summer and 0.3 percent for the year.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Uh...Ya think? Let's see, do I actually get to have breakfast this week with the sky-rocketing FOOD prices, or do I take a $50 trip somewhere with the $4 per gallon rape price of gas...Meanwhile exxon just posted their most profitable year ever for the 5th year in a row, while none of us can afford to drive anywhere anymore. Awesome.

That may not sound like much, but it would be the first time since 1991 that there’s been a decline in annual gas consumption. And it would be only the eighth year since 1951 in which demand for gasoline has declined.

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The key here is that people in the US don't stop doing something just because it's expensive, they stop because they can't pay for it anymore.

Tourism this summer is doomed. I am already seeing a proliferation of ads on TV for various vacation areas, the most prominent so far being Disney World. Companies do not advertise when all is well, they advertise when there's a problem.

Next to go will be auto sales. I expect GM to either belly-up or get a bailout. Ford will be right behind them. Chrysler is preparing for the worst with new overseas partnerships. from www.prnewswire.com... :

Chrysler LLC
and Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., today announced two new agreements for the
supply of products between both companies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Maybe they'll survive anyway. They've already had one major governmental bailout.

That will stop manufacturing plants across the US as well as trucking companies who have major linehaul agreements with them. More people out of work, more people screaming for relief, less people working... I wonder what will happen to taxes? So the pain will spread and finally, at some time, there will be civil uprisings and a major Depression.

I don't know how long all this will take, but I do know it's too late to stop it. Just be ready. You were warned in advance by some silly redneck who probably has no idea of what's going on.

TheRedneck

edit to try and fix an ornery link... twice...

[edit on 22-4-2008 by TheRedneck]

[edit on 22-4-2008 by TheRedneck]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
A couple national sick days in a row will show the power is the people. Organize and boycott. They will lose millions in a couple of days and when it backs up in the tanks OPEC is F*c**d. Then we we what the oil men do and thats shudder to thier core, when random sick days get planned.

Beat them down by organizing. Supply and demand. Turn it to supply and no demand.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
So, today on TV I saw the first mention of a hybrid SUV. I started to laugh. I thought it was a Yukon but I'm not sure. I don't think that people are going to run out and purchase new big hybrids because they've improved the milage from horrible to just terrible.

With gas at $4 per gallon and headed up, I've noticed that most of the cars that I see on the freeway are small fuel efficient cars. A couple of years ago most of the cars on the freeway would be SUV s and big pickups. My how times have changed.

I stopped at costco the other day to fill up my Honda hybrid and the SUV in front of me had just spent $84 to fill their tank. That's a lot of money to pay to drive around.

I work near a bunch of auto dealers. All the cars that are in the front of the lot have stickers that say "High MPG" or something to that effect. So the car dealers know what is selling and right now it's not cars that get bad mileage.

For the big car companies to stay in business, they need to offer cars that get good mileage because most people cannot afford to drive cars that get 15 MPG. It just costs too much.

So, a big heads up to GM and Ford.... Figure out how to build high mileage vehicles or sell a lot fewer cars

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
A couple national sick days in a row will show the power is the people. Organize and boycott. They will lose millions in a couple of days and when it backs up in the tanks OPEC is F*c**d. Then we we what the oil men do and thats shudder to thier core, when random sick days get planned.

Beat them down by organizing. Supply and demand. Turn it to supply and no demand.

Heres the problem with that...because 97% of the nation is enslaved in debt and have bills to pay they will not be taking that time off...that is where the debt enslavement comes into play...a debt free society or at least a minimal amount of debt(which the government does not want) would be able to just stay at home and say shove it government..you dont want to help us out we will bring the economy to a halt. But when I bring it up to people they all say the same thing we have bills to pay and cant take the time off of work.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee
An answer to your proposal is right here, in the other thread.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Next to go will be auto sales. I expect GM to either belly-up or get a bailout. Ford will be right behind them. Chrysler is preparing for the worst with new overseas partnerships. from

I'm in the auto industry. I can tell you that new auto sales have declined massively since 2001. Even further, people are not getting their cars repaired for "annoyances" like they used to. (Squeaks and rattles and such.)

Even though I work for FoMoCo, I can tell you that they're lagging about 5 years behind in design. Further, they are lacking about 2-3 years behind GM in technology and powertrain development, with the lone exception being the Hybrid Escape and Mariner platform.

The insanely high gas prices have prevented me from traveling out of state for various events I used to attend regularly. I refuse to just give my dollars to big oil. I used to put 20K or so on my car annually. I'm putting about 12K miles on it now.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

I'm hearing a lot of stories like that from different people. I also know that the 'parking lots' (car-haulers) which used to be rarely seen unless they were rolling are now getting scarce on the highways. I just last summer saw 5 of them for sale across a 10-mile stretch of road. Unheard of.

I am also seeing autos lining the streets about everywhere I go, covered in 'for sale' signs. If people are selling all these late model cars for cut-rate prices, why would anyone buy a new car? That's a lot of money for a warranty.

I also remember seeing something about FoMoCo selling off Jaguar recently, to some Indian company, I believe. Probably a good move. From the elitist attitude I was given when I went to a Jag dealer with ready cash several years back, I wonder how well they could be doing? (I drove down the street and bought a Riviera, btw.
)

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Pretty sure Fox New predicted that gas prices will be upwards of around $5 per gallon by the end of the summer.

^^^^

Glad I'm moving to a city where I can take advantage of public transportation and walking.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
And in the meantime...Straight from the Fotune 500: Exxon--2nd to only Wal-mart as the highest profiting company of 2007...

money.cnn.com...

I'm sure there will STILL be the regular bunch that chimes in here saying, "they really don't make that big of a profit on their oil sales." LMAO

Must be nice that the oil industry can keep getting richer off the bankruptcy of the middle and lower classes...

top topics

join