It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil priest carried off by balloons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Brazil priest carried off by balloons

au.news.yahoo.com

A Roman Catholic priest who floated off under hundreds of helium party balloons is missing off the southern coast of Brazil.

Rescuers in helicopters and small fishing boats were searching off the coast of Santa Catarina state, where pieces of balloons were found.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Lol, i think you would have to have a lot of balls to do something like this...

I wouldn't trust balloons, and the wind to take me to a altitude of 6,000M. No Way, anyway lets hope he is found safe and sound.... Probably floating in the water lol!

Hmm -Stupid

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
My bad, I guess it is possible.

Anyway, I hope they find him okay.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Zanzibar]

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Zanzibar]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Story of the year so far!

This guy,if found alive,must be a contender for the darwin awards. Why didn't he just let go? Muppetry of the highest order

edit-I see,it was a charridy/record breaking attempt. Fair do's. Still a bit bonkers.

[edit on 22/4/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JDN24

A thought just struck me..... i wonder if that was what flew over pheonix...hehe. I saw this on the msm news here in sydney. All the channels were running it. Apparently he had last radio contact about 50 miles out to sea, he was ment to be blown inland as he wanted to set a record for travelling by ballon, i guess his travels will be recorded for a different reason now. I hope he had his speedo's on.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Kinda Stupid tho, did he even have control? Or did he let mother nature control him lol?

Actually not kinda stupid, REALLY STUPID lol.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

He wasn't the Lights in Pheonix was he?? Just imangine if it was him:

NEWS HEADLINE: Missing Pope Cause Mysterious Red Lights In Pheonix

hahahaha ..... Hm Stay Focused..

[edit on 24/12/2007 by JDN24]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I laugh out loud.

This sounds like a headline from The Day Today. Get out of it, Morris. This isn't your fight.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Sir Francis Bacon

Hahaha Good one lol... But seriously WHY? Why would you do something as stupid as this.... Even on Mythbusters, they specifically told all the viewers:

"DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME"

For crying out loud - The person that did this was a POPE! You would think that he had more brains....or maybe not

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I've been told that there are many ways to become closer to God.

This particular method was never mentioned......

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Hahahaha, i think im having the time of my life on ATS right now

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
He should have thought of that senerio, and brought a knife with him and he could just cut the strings one by one and landed safely. I would have. lol

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm still laughing at this:

"A Roman Catholic priest who floated off under hundreds of helium party balloons is missing off the southern coast of Brazil."

[GENERIC INTERNET ACRONYM]

A brass Pi in the sky. And every day is, indeed, The Day Today, today, tonight.

"Amor fati," Priest.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
What do you guys/girls reckon? Is he dead or alive? I pray to god that he is found alive, but he fell from an altitude of 2500M or something close to that and landed in water.. = OUCH... Hitting water from that height would be like hitting concrete... = OUCH

Hope He Is Found So0n...

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JDN24

2500 meters????

Thats 8200 feet... the balloons would have a hard time surviving after that kind of fall.

No failsafe system? Not a good idea when left to mother nature.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I am not sure if he is dead or alive. How high could he go? And once he got high enough wouldn't his balloons pop, and he would plumet back to earth?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is something I could do. I live in the desert, so I don't have to worry about drifting into the ocean, just falling on a cactus. I am surprised more people do not try this, the poor man's entry into aviation.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Jesus!!!

Thats a whole lot of balloons.......

Enjoy!

AoN
EDITED to add: WOAH!! were those images at the end of the vid REAL??!!!

Or just the video editors bad idea of a 'joke'??

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Anomic of Nihilism]

EDIT: yes it is, just read the info... he DIDN'T burst into flames in midair.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If ATS would donate the ATS branded balloons, then I would be happy to try on behalf of the website and my fellow ATS'ers to break the record. I have a weak bladder and enlarged prostate so my chair must be equipped with a relief tube. I am fully serious and ready to launch for ATS.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That priest had to be NUTS to do that!

I do remember a guy in California did that before though. But he used weather balloons.

This is the guy who mentioned in the original article article who he was "emulating".

"Lawnchair Larry" or the "Lawn Chair Pilot"

Here's another guy who floated 193 miles using balloons, but they look like they're as big as weather balloons also.

Man Floats 193 Miles Using Chair, Balloons

I think having a parachute as back-up was smart, but I think it might have also have been wise to have had a spotter plane following him around, an airplane, a helicopter, an ultra light, SOMETHING, just in case of something like this happening!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to add a life vest just might have been a good idea also being he couldn't stear the balloons and didn't know where he might end up!

Other than that, I hope the rescue teams find him alive and well.

[edit on 22/4/08 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join