It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guys we may have a problem in the D.C. area

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
reply to post by Rockpuck

Not sure what you mean there Rockpuck. If they're paying a pound a liter, then it's over US$8 per gallon.

What's not figured in is the average income, cost of living, etc. I think a lot of Europeans would be shocked to learn that the US minimum wage is so low and we're basically working an hour for a little more than a gallon of gas.

Not sure about the rest of Europe but the minimum wage in the UK is just over £5 if your over 18. So we're in a similar situation an hour for a gallon of petrol.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
A couple national sick days in a row will show the power is the people. Organize and boycott. They will lose millions in a couple of days and when it backs up in the tanks OPEC is F*c**d. Then we we what the oil men do and thats shudder to thier core, when random sick days get planned.

Beat them down by organizing. Supply and demand. Turn it to supply and no demand.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Sorry to burst your bubble, but a couple days isn't going to help. It'll get a few headlines, but I'm willing to bet the MSM won't even figure out why you're staying home sick.

The recent trucker protests were staged the same way. It had a big difference: diesel in GA and SC is now over $4 a gallon, up 16 cents last week alone so I hear. Yeah, we showed them.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by tsloan

Are you in DC proper or outside the city? Check the outer suburbs for cheaper gas. Sometimes it's worth the drive, sometimes it's not. use gasbuddy.com to research prices.

I'm in the NoVA suburbs and it's just gone up to $3.50 or so around here.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kelbtalfenek

Hey man,

I just got back from lunch and while I was out I kinda drove around about to just check the stations around my lab building in Bowie, Md. which is a sub. it was pretty much the same None of the stations in about 12 blocks had any 89 fuel all had the red cover over the pump handle. Citco= 3.67 Bp= 3.69 Sunoco= 3.70 Shell 3.74 this is for regular all 93 was 3.99 to 4.10....But they were all out of 89 mid grade.
Ya know what pisses me off more is that all these damn car companies put out all these neat little gas sipping cars..Well NONE of them ever make it to the U.S. which brings me to another point about the U.K. you gas is very high but your cars also can go for ever on a liter of gas...???
For Ford and Chevy and Dodge they all say no one want the small cars...I beg to differ..cause the Honda FIT and Civic and the Toyota Yaris and Corolla all have a 30 day wait to buy in the D.C. area....so people want these cars. I know cause I have tried to buy one in the last month and had to put down $500.00 to be put on the waiting list.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tommio

ours is £4.86 a Gallon roughly (we work in litres over here). That's Like i said about $9.50. and regardless of how you put it, oil is sold in Barrels in Dollars, which means we are paying around twice as much as you for our fuel. yeah ok ours is of a higher octane (minimum 95) but that doesn't account for ours being twice the price of yours. the reason ours is so expensive is due to the tax we pay on our petrol for every £1 we spend on petrol something like £0.67 of that is tax. Your gas prices are ridiculously low compared to ours

Right, this is true, your price is inflated since you pay for it in a weaker currency, however, that probably has more to do with government taxes I would imagine, unless there is a reason for it being so expensive? Don't you guy's drill your own oil in the North Sea?

But what I was meaning, is that by taking what you pay and saying "omg thats $9 American" and that makes it seem outrageously expensive to us..

But it would be like me saying "Gosh, just paid $3.70 for gas (I really just did actually) .. thats like 300 pesos!!"

But anyways, why is the price of Gas so expensive in the UK (And Canada?)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
my son works at the local gas station so I asked him what the ratio of gas purchases were.

87- about 75%
89- he says he might see someone purchase it once in a 4 hr shift
93- 24%

that's probably why they are getting rid of mid-grade.

besides, 89 is pretty much the same as 87 but you gotta pay more for it.
93 does have noticeable benefits... I have a 68 Chevelle with an 11.5-1 compression ratio big block and the only pump gas it can run on is Shell 93

p.s. posters from the UK are might be converting to Imperial gallons which is greater than U.S. gallon

1 imp gal of water weighs 10 pounds
1 US gal weighs 8.33 pounds

[edit on 22-4-2008 by wrathchild]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Today, across Canada, regular gas is going for 1.09/litre in Alberta, 1.20/litre in Ontario, and 1.22/litre in Quebec. Multiply by 3.785 to convert to US gallons and apply the exchange rate du-jour. Considering the fact that Canada's proven oil reserves are second only to Saudi Arabia, why are we paying so @#$% much for gas here in Canada? Do we need to become members of OPEC?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I stay in a suburb just out of DC, NW side, and gas here is $3.44 for unleaded, $3.58 for 89, $3.81 for 93, and $4.01 for diesel. And no they didn't appear to be not selling 89, but then again I wouldn't know because I always buy unleaded.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by WiseIsAwoken]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

More than 30. I worked graveyard at a truck-stop to pay for school. We had to carry batons to protect us against angry truckers when they found out they would only get the tank on one side filled. We hung flags on their mirrors and made them wait inside to stop the run-offs. I'd bring a family members car to work every day as I could get all the gas I wanted as an employee. I was in Ontario California then and the lines would be around the block by 7 AM to get 5 or 10 gallons. People would run out in line or the station would run out before the line slowed down.

Life went on like normal. Everyone managed.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseIsAwoken
I stay in a suburb just out of DC, NW side, and gas here is $3.44 for unleaded, $3.58 for 89, $3.81 for 93, and $4.01 for diesel. And no they didn't appear to be not selling 89, but then again I wouldn't know because I always buy unleaded.

Exact same story for me. I am in Maryland right outside of DC.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   

There was no shortage in the 70s.It was an embargo from opec.Carter pissed opec off and they cut production.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Those pretty straight up honest to a fault gas station owners are BSing you about being out of 89 octane. 87 and 91 or 93 are mixed at the pump to make 89.

The station knows most people will buy 87 now that gas is rising. A few used to buy 89 because everyone in America believes if something costs more it is better. Those with sports cars are being pushed to 93 to make up for the lost revenues on 89.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
sodom
in switzerland, 98 octan is 1.80$ / liter - 6.80$ / gal.
so its not cheap, but my job pays me 35$/h and the car drinks 3.8gal/100miles.
the good thing is that i dont need the car everydays....
sodom

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
In rural Australia we are paying AU$1.50 per Litre for 92 octane ULP (AU$1.60 if you need 98 octane). Thats around AU$5.70 per US gallon for 92 and AU$6.05 for 98 octane according to a converter I just googled.

[edit on 23/4/08 by GBBumblebee]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
There is little point in my commenting on what is apparent and will become all the more apparent in the coming weeks and months since the dependence on oil was planned and we are all already deep in the belly of the beast that has been used to build and now turn America unto the slaves the few intend us to be. However, this video on Google will at least tell you who it is that was behind our destruction:

video.google.com...

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
We are getting screwed by the World Bank. Now they are saying there is a grain shortage, The worst in 60 years. Hello. Ban Ethanol in fuel. The stuff sucks anyway.
Our dollar is falling screwing everyones economy, We used to much grain on fuel and cant feed the world like we have been and Oil is through the roof. The world hates us now for sure.
Thanks Bush for ruining our country you bastard.

Everyone needs to drive as little as possible to cause an excess of oil.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithin

Originally posted by jtma508
The government and industry did bupkis. No one gave a rat's tuchus. So here we are today. Don't count on anyone doing anything anytime soon.

You said bupkis and tuchus n the same post lol. AWESOME.

Forgive my ignorance - but why would you use 93 octane. Its a waste of money. Were there any other gas stations in the area? Were they out too?

If you are driving a sports car and it MUST have 93 octane - then you need to get used to high gas prices. Those things drink it like water.

Not necessarily true. I drive an 05 Corvette,, 19mpg in town and 30 mpg hiway@75mph. Confirmed by lots of late model corvette owners.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Larry B.]

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Larry B.]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

This is the laws of supply and demand. It doesn't matter who the current President is.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by dbates]

Not that I totally disagree with your opinion, but the above I certainly beg to differ.

Neither supply NOR demand is any part of the issue with respect to fuel.

While, you're 100% right that no matter what party is in office, it wouldn't change things, the reality is that the exorbitant fuel prices are directly relative to the investment bankers finding the- of the few- safe havens for their money to ride out the recessionary storm. Certainly they can short in the stok sector to cover their positions, but for most these days, hedging on commodities is their only "safe-house". This is clearly driving the price of fuel, food, through the roof.

Supply and demnd at the moment, may apply to food (solely because to trnsport it, the cost for the American Farmer to grow/produce it, and the usage OF it for biofuel technology) as the aforementioned has put a huge strain on it's availability.

AB1

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColdWater
Those pretty straight up honest to a fault gas station owners are BSing you about being out of 89 octane. 87 and 91 or 93 are mixed at the pump to make 89.

The station knows most people will buy 87 now that gas is rising. A few used to buy 89 because everyone in America believes if something costs more it is better. Those with sports cars are being pushed to 93 to make up for the lost revenues on 89.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound condescending, however youare so wrong in so many venues it's not even funny.

First off, they are NOT mixed at the pumps. Any retailer who is mixing them at the pumps is breaking the law and should be arrested.

Secondly, and this would address more than one post, as an ASE certified automotive professional, I will tell you this much about the higher octane rating. The higher the octane doesn't JUST necessarily mean higher HP throughput...it also has vehicular therapeautic value in that, the higher the octane, the more efficiently the fuel burns-the more efficiently the fuel burns, the more of the fuel that actualy burns AWAY from the cylinders, valve guides, valves, converters, etc. The less carbon buildup in a motor, the less propensity it has for breakdown, and extends the longevity of the motor.

AB1

<< 1    3 >>

join