It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guys we may have a problem in the D.C. area

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I stopped at Exxon this morning to fill up and my car takes 93 and the price was 4.05 per gallon I had a 1/4 tank it took $55.00 to fill up. Last year it took me $30.00ish to fill from a 1/4 of a tank. thats not what surprised me the fact the the station has a sign up that read " OUT OF 89 or SUPER UNTILL FURTHER NOTICE" so they had 87 and 93 and thats it. I walked in to grab a sugar free Red Bull and ask whats the deal and whats the out look through summer cause the owner is american and pretty up front. He told me point blank very real for 93 to hit as much as $7.00 and 87 to hit 5.75 and he flat told me that 89 is not an option in the D.C. area that he could not get any more till further notice???and the stations who had it that it would be all they have and once the tank is empty thats it for them too..???? Has anyone else around D.C. seen this where they fill up?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Wow - I guess we should have seen this coming. The same thing happens after hurricanes, the cheap stuff goes first.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
wow, prety scary how they can be "out". I honestly think something needs to be done like NOW, TODAY, not tomorrow or next week. we need alternative fuels (DEFINETLY not biofuels). We also need to get rid of this government and these laws and this central bank that the country was prety much founded NOT to have. Americans arent free, and the truth is the majority of them don't care... well I do. wich is why i promise everyone here on ATS that if i get a chance to stop them ill give my LIFE to try and do it. It makes me sick when i try to tell someone something and you can tell that they don't care. Well they will care when every right is slowly taken away untill they are unable to defend themselvs or rise up. Its like a weed, you have to nip it in the bud but this weed has roots and there spreading fast. sorry if i kind of trailed off of the topic a little.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Youngsters, huh? 'Way' back in the 70's we had a gas/oil crisis. Gas was being rationed. There were huge lines, stations were running out and there were minimum purchase quantities to prevent hording. It was a mess. That was 30yrs ago. We've had all that time to 'do something about it' and prevent what is happening now. The government and industry did bupkis. No one gave a rat's tuchus. So here we are today. Don't count on anyone doing anything anytime soon.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
The government and industry did bupkis. No one gave a rat's tuchus. So here we are today. Don't count on anyone doing anything anytime soon.

You said bupkis and tuchus n the same post lol. AWESOME.

Forgive my ignorance - but why would you use 93 octane. Its a waste of money. Were there any other gas stations in the area? Were they out too?

If you are driving a sports car and it MUST have 93 octane - then you need to get used to high gas prices. Those things drink it like water.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The problem you are refering to is D.C. Dick Cheney. It is 1.40 here in Australia, thats probably about 1.20- 1.30 U.S. You guys are getting Shafted.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Currently it looks as if gas is between 3.45 and 3.79 for the cheap stuff in Washington D.C.

gas buddy

reply to post by atlasastro

So gas prices will dive if a democrat is elected? Riiiiiiight.

This is the laws of supply and demand. It doesn't matter who the current President is.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Forget gas you want a real indicator of how bad things are about to become walk into any country feed store....

Now I'm a small hobby farmer... but even I am feeling the pinch...
This past weekend I had to go buy another bag of feed grain... I used to be able to get scratch (Chicken feed) for 6 dollars... that same bag cost 12.00 on Saturday... a bale of hay not the good alpha stuff just plan ole hey went from 3.00 to 11.00 a bale!!!

your about to see a lot of small farmer go under or just not bother at all...

[edit on 22-4-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ah, I see you've found one of the joys of city life.

What you're describing is so far related to the DC area. Well, to large congested cities anyway. I've driven through DC in a truck many more times than I care to remember, so I am familiar with the place somewhat.

I'm familiar with the fact that truck traffic is highly, highly restricted. How does gasoline get to the station? Trucks, unless someone has a refinery and an oil well hidden in their basement.
Now who drives those trucks? People who are trying to make a living.

Now take out a map of the US. You see all those big areas between the cities with the blue lines crossing them? Those are roads where one can actually get over 20 mph in a truck. Since truckers are paid by the mile, that means they make more money when driving faster. So here's the scenario:

I drive a truck. I have a choice. I can deliver gasoline into DC, which will take a liong time to go a short distance for little money, and I have to concern myself with which road I can go on and which one I cannot, traffic snarls, a serious lack of parking (as in none), tiny streets that are barely big enough for the four-wheelers and nowhere big enough for my truck, unscheduled closures due to some diplomat coming into town or some military scare, and a bunch of fat-cat politicians who may well decide to throw their weight around on me if I dare get in their way doing my job (which I have personally had happen).

Or, I could deliver to Phoenix, more miles (meaning more money), less traffic, good roads, and a fraction of the headaches. Hmmm, hard decision, but I think I would go for more money with less headaches. [/sarcasm]

If you want a target for that pointing finger, look at DC from the viewpoint of the guy who hauls the things into it. It costs a heck of a lot more to deliver anything into the DC area than to almost anywhere else in the country, with the possible exception of New York. You pay for that.

Enjoy your pizza delivery. I'll stick with my cheaper costs.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
You think you guys have got it bad, try living in the UK, we have 95 and 97, for a litre of 95 its £1.05, thats roughly $9.59 a gallon. Think yourselves lucky.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Not sure if you are talking Gallons or litres.....

Here in Canada, West Coast, we are paying $1.22 per ltr, that equates to approx. $4.61 per Gallon, as it is sold by in the USA.

If you are paying $ 1.30 per GALLON, I wouldn't tell too many people.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
Youngsters, huh? 'Way' back in the 70's we had a gas/oil crisis. Gas was being rationed. There were huge lines, stations were running out and there were minimum purchase quantities to prevent hording. It was a mess. That was 30yrs ago. We've had all that time to 'do something about it' and prevent what is happening now. The government and industry did bupkis. No one gave a rat's tuchus. So here we are today. Don't count on anyone doing anything anytime soon.

LOL..... ok, take a bit of knowledge from a Youngster.

In 1970 Gas was arouns 20-30 cents a Gallon. In 2001 it was 90 to $1.10 a gallon. A whole 70 cent increase.

From 2001 it went from 90-$1.10 to $3.35-$4.10 .......

Adjusted for CURRENT inflation, to reach the Oil Crisis of the 1970's, oil per barrel will have to be $94 a barrel.

Last week oil topped off at $116 a barrel.

Making this a worse crisis then 1970's only thing is.... there is no shortage right now.. which is the only reason 1970's that you had to line around the block for gas..

If gas hits $7.00 a gallon I feel for the gas station .... people like me may just take them over. No way in hell am I paying that much to drive..

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Will the government be there to bail out all these farmers as they did with the banks?

yeah right

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

So gas prices will dive if a democrat is elected? Riiiiiiight.

This is the laws of supply and demand. It doesn't matter who the current President is.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by dbates]

Who knows, i guess you'll find out soon enough. I was just throwing in a D.C. pun. It might have been a cheap joke, but the way things look, it might be the only cheap thing going around soon. I can tell you that we have changed Govt. here in Australia and prices have been slowly rising. But our Dollar has also been slowly rising, as have our exports, as have our employment figures. Maybe the Democrates can change some of those for you guys.......i guess you could say it depends on the supply of votes and the demand for change.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by atlasastro]

[edit on 22-4-2008 by atlasastro]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Tommio

No offense but I am a bit tired of this argument.

Our entire way of life, except in major metroplitan areas which few people can afford to live in, is constructed on the premise of having a car and relatively inexpensive gas. Did we do it to our selves? Yes. Have we had thirty years to make changes? Yes.

But you see, there was a more powerful force at work - greed.

We had to move further and further away from our jobs to find a decent house that we could afford as housing prices have been driven steadily up by speculation and the mortgage fraud crisis.

Public transit? Puh-lease. It doesn't go anywhere on time or where most people need to be. Why? Because people don't want higher taxes to pay for better routes that no one uses.

Big Oil? Don't even get me started on their complicity. 45 Billion dollar profits and practically no alternative energy research.

We are caught in a vicious cylce of materialism and consumption 60 years in the making. But is it our "fault"? Yes and No. We were all just living our lives the way we always have in America - pushing boundaries literally and figuratively - just as our parents and grandparents did.

But the party is over and the bill has come due.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tommio
You think you guys have got it bad, try living in the UK, we have 95 and 97, for a litre of 95 its £1.05, thats roughly $9.59 a gallon. Think yourselves lucky.

Your currency is actually double ours you know?

A hot dog in Pounds to Dollars would take probably $5 lol.. 9.59 compared to your pounds really is not a lot at all.. least, not as bad as it sounds. If our currency where equal, its more like a relevent $4.70 a gallon.

Still expensive, but just remember you cannot compare a currency to another when yours is worth twice as much.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Not sure what you mean there Rockpuck. If they're paying a pound a liter, then it's over US$8 per gallon.

What's not figured in is the average income, cost of living, etc. I think a lot of Europeans would be shocked to learn that the US minimum wage is so low and we're basically working an hour for a little more than a gallon of gas.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

ours is £4.86 a Gallon roughly (we work in litres over here). That's Like i said about $9.50. and regardless of how you put it, oil is sold in Barrels in Dollars, which means we are paying around twice as much as you for our fuel. yeah ok ours is of a higher octane (minimum 95) but that doesn't account for ours being twice the price of yours. the reason ours is so expensive is due to the tax we pay on our petrol for every £1 we spend on petrol something like £0.67 of that is tax. Your gas prices are ridiculously low compared to ours

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper

Not sure if you are talking Gallons or litres.....

Here in Canada, West Coast, we are paying $1.22 per ltr, that equates to approx. $4.61 per Gallon, as it is sold by in the USA.

If you are paying $ 1.30 per GALLON, I wouldn't tell too many people.

OOPs......forgot the guzzlers over there pay by the gallon......in that case i'll make a polite colonial appology.....now quit your whinging( usa conversion=whining). Wow......i just remembered i drove from BC In Canada to Palm Springs and it was 99c a gallon......that was back in the 20th century, ahh the good ol' days.

P.S. I ride a bicycle everyday, it cost me nothing to run, well almost i actually burn fat, not oil.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

My husband and I were discussing this last night. It's pretty shocking to compare your daily wages to your daily expenditures - food, gas, etc. And how many hours you have to work to pay for this or that.

There is no more flex in our system and by average standards we would be considered as doing "okay", not great, but certainly okay.

[edit on 22/4/08 by kosmicjack]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join