It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stockpiling Now? If so, what?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
i have been stocking up on caned foods, fruits tomatoes and what not. i have been thinking of starting to can some foods. i went to canning.com and found some good ideas, can make meals pretty cheap now, i may make a large pot of chicken stew and can a few dozen jars. off that one batch in hard times we could make meals off that for 4 days. does anybody know the shelf life of canned stew?
oh yea dont forget to stock up on ammo if not already, prices are going up every week on orders from local pawn shops. you can never have to much ammo!

[edit on 22-4-2008 by bamaoutlaw]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
If you stockpile anything, it should be seeds/dirt/water/food storage methods ie dehydrator/solar batterys

-a couple Metal halide lamp kits-live fish for eating-aquarium equipment (read up on aquaponics

[[AS MUCH GARDEN COMPOST AS POSSIBLE]] - And if you can afford it get yourself a sturdy 12 gauge and lots of ammo, I like Benellis

I like the Cordoba, solid shotgun that the wife can shoot.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Retikx]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I sadly have 2 M.R.E.'s from when my husband served in Desert Storm

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Large bags of dried pasta will last forever, it won't spoil and it's full of energy giving carbohydrates. It's also cheap, easy to prepare and will go with almost anything.

[edit on 22/4/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If you're going to extract water for drinking purposes from a natural source you need to eliminate the potential risk of harmful bacteria. Make sure you either boil it for at least seven minutes or add Puritabs www.whipperleys.co.uk... (other outlets available) - Then strain it through a clean coffee filter or muslin.

What might give you diarrhoea or a severe belly ache, can be fatal to the very young, elderly or those already in a weakened physical condition.

[edit on 22/4/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Here's a problem.

A shottie would be nice.

However, due the fact that the local mexican gangs live next door to me and word of mouth go fast here, a weapon would make my household a more bigger target to break ins and robberies.

This happened to my neighbor who has a firearm, so any ideas on how not to be a target on this?

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Ihavenoidea]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Ihavenoidea

Get a pair of mean-looking dogs.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrdyn

Get a pair of mean-looking dogs.

Apartment landlord won't allow any dogs.

Speaking of which, how would I able to use solar panels in an apartment, and In worse case, (civil war, WW3) what would happen to my housing?

What plans would be best to survive an urban area like this?

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Ihavenoidea]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

As you live next door to them, you probably know how to behave in order to avoid being a target. I would advise you to be polite, show them respect, avoid them whenever possible and don't buy a gun.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Then stop trying to be a little gangster and go buy one the legal way, with a licence, from a reputable dealer. Its not that hard.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Start investigating the outlying areas of your town for derelict buildings that have cellars. Identify as many as you can and check on them every now and again. Aslo look for water towers, large cisterns etc. Abandoned industrial areas could provide safe shelter in an emergency.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
2 1/2 million pages from wiki on some emp shielded hds :p

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I already spend over 1200.00 a mo. on food so getting extra is a wee bit hard to put away they know all the hiding places

The other night I watched how they made bad water good. They put the bad through a coffee filter then they boiled it when the steam came up they made a coverlet to catch that steam and when it dripped down they had good water to drink. I know I suck at describing stuff, sorry

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Believe it or not. A dietician/survivalist I heard on npr 3yrs ago suggested dry dog food. Wealth of protein and whatnot. Ruff.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Yeah I'm just starting to make a pantry/larder,

of course all the canned goods, for at least a couple months of basic 'cusine'...

but i'm also stocking up on bottles & magnums of wine, champaign...
keeping a selection of popular cigaretts - regular & menthols for trade

canned meats ~for trade also~ as i'm vegan
the cases of 24-36 count water bottles are for back-up, as the plan is to use the backyard lake water for washing & waste...with the purification tablets as a back-up to the back-up cases of 12oz bottles on hand.

It's not that difficult or expensive to begin a stockpile/pantry/larder..
but its a little more difficult to begin a survivalist / self-sustaining way of life without attracting attention and unwanted eyeballs at what your doing.

That's why one needs a stash of 'barter/trade' items... or perhaps more accurately -> 'bribery' items, so as to gain favor with the big-dogs on the (realigned) Porch.

the phrase 'Live Free' has a cost no matter what you say

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Stockpiling ammo is always good. You don't need to waste the money on food when a bullet is only a few cents. Fresh meat is yummy, I can't wait to harvest some "free range" squirrel...or people, any meat is good to me.lol.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I walked 15 blocks home from a carpentry gig today...

I harvested 5 pints of wild raspberries along the sidewalk on the way home.

Sri Oracle

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I already have the intimidating dogs on lockdown. Pitbull and a German Shepherd.

I am not currently storing food, I intend to get water purification tablets, a rain barrell, 2 guns, a bunch of ammo, and start stocking the canned goods.

Here is a thought. I drink protein and weight gainer shakes from the nutrition store. They are rich in protein, amino acids and all the like. I am not sure what the shelf life is but wouldnt these products fare well in a food rationing situation? The protein shakes I drink provide 45g of protein per serving and are 265 calories. I dont know the details off hand but the wieght gainer shakes are 1250 calories per serving. The containers they sell them in last about a month with daily use per person. The major downside to this is cost.

I think I will also make my own survival handbook, full of step by step instructions on how to make or do certain things in a survival situation. I figure if I am armed to the teeth with my 2 dogs I will be able to forrage for supplies assuming my location is a bit more remote than my current location (population 150,000).

Also being a new homeowner as of Novemeber I am looking forward to trying out my own garden and growing food. I just need to handle the rabbits in the back yard first. (They would be dog food if they didnt hide from the dogs under the deck) On the subject of the dogs, I'll have to make sure they dont try out the vegetables and spices, which shouldnt be a problem as they do not ever eat table food.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by BluByWho]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

What do you recommend for protection in England uk when things go bad

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Here in AU, there is no such signs...

Guess we really are the lucky Country..heh

Plenty of food here & cheap too-boot!!

Spose our Export market will be booming in the months & years to come..lol

Either that or we will be swampped by a massive influx of US Expats looking for a better life & that would put a strain on our Supplies.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by Ironclad]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join