It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stockpiling Now? If so, what?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
haha you have to freeze dry it then nitogen seal it in metal can for any shelf life.
Also has to be kept 70 degrees or below. Then it will last 10 years !
I dont really think we got that long so you will be covered until the end
haha you guys make me laugh

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Great info! THX.

Originally posted by Blitzkreigen
I occasionally carry a shotgun in the front seat of the Truck, ( Thats LEGAL in TEXAS Folks- And somtimes necessary in parts of Dallas )

Dang homie, what parts of Dallas are you hanging out in?
I drive these streets for a living, and have only rarely needed more than a knowing look. Still, the scout motto (be prepared), is always a good idea.

I'm preparing with lots of freeze dried and dehydrated storage food, stored water, as well as rain collection and filtering capability, gasoline and solar generation ability, a bit of stabilized gasoline, an extra coil and CPU for my car stored in an EMP protected old microwave, an heirloom seed garden, as well as various and sundry emergency items like TP, medical supplies, candles, a kerosene heater, etc. I've also moved out of the city to semi-rural Kaufman Co. in hopes of avoiding most of the chocolate rain.
One thing's sure though, 'unless God keeps a city, the watchman wakes in vain'.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
With reference to 'Hay Burners', it reminded me of something:-

solarcooking.org...

www.lostvalley.org...

www.facilities.ohiou.edu...

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistor

reply to post by Illahee

Great info! THX.

I occasionally carry a shotgun in the front seat of the Truck, ( Thats LEGAL in TEXAS Folks- And somtimes necessary in parts of Dallas )

Dang homie, what parts of Dallas are you hanging out in?
I drive these streets for a living, and have only rarely needed more than a knowing look. Still, the scout motto (be prepared), is always a good idea.

Well... If you Moved out to Kaufman, you kinda answered your own question now didnt you?

I'm in the 'City' Daily, and My home neighborhood has gone to the Gangsters, Mexican Mafia, Crack Heads, Cheese Heads, Speed Freaks ( they have been around since the 70's ), ILLEGALS- with 5 families to a "single family" residence, Katrina Relocatee's and even some Muslims with the full 'Sharia' Haircut who look 'angry' at me every time I walk past them with my dog.

5 or 6 THUGS 'wide' walking down the MIDDLE of the street with Hoodies on and Baggie Pants walking all tough... like they are packin' , long shirts untucked, at all hours of the night. ( Video Surveillance ) BOOM BOOM Boxes in wanna be 'Ganster' cars at all hours of the night and DAY. Lots of "metal Scrappers" and "Junk men" lurking around the alleys too.

All this is ON MY BLOCK !

30 seconds walking distance! All visible without leaving my driveway!

Honestly... Next door and the house next to that and the one next to that and then 5 doors down the other way , across the street 'caticorner', and then on all the side streets for as far as the eye can see or the ear can hear. Way way outnumbered and I'm now the minority in my neighborhood. We didnt even cross the 'back alley' to the other street behind me.

I'm not going to get into any more detail, but you already know whats up.

Especially in the LAST 3 years. ( We have been here since 1958 )

My Dad Used to go HUNTING out my Grandma's back door, before 635 was there or even Lake Ray Hubbard. I 30 was not there either.

Now 'I 'feel like the 'Hunted'.

Lets not even talk about Car Jackings, Panhandlers at red lights and Drunk homeless street people in the 7-11 parking lots and approaching you for money at Gas Stations and car washes.

My Uncle had to 'draw down' on a set of carjackers at a Gas Station a few months back. Very BUSY corner, right at dusk, lots of people around. No need to shoot, when they saw the barel sticking 1 inch above the bottom of the drivers window, from under his left arm, They Backed Off, got in their "other car" and hauled ass. Problem Avoided.

Yep, Dallas is not so nice anymore.

I like your idea of an EMP microwave. I never thought of that.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
With hurricane season around the corner and a food shortage looming, I'm starting to prepare for my family (two small children). Money's tight right now, so I'm working on this a little at a time.

I'm starting with the basics such as canned veggies, rice and beans. I'm also adding flour, sugar, powdered milk and spices to the mix as I can afford them.

As far as hardware goes, got a tortilla press and am aiming to get a food dehydrator and food saver in the very near future.

I live near the Texas coast and Hurricane Rita was a real eye-opener. We sheltered a total of 13 people in our home for nearly a week, and it didn't take long to go through our small stockpile of food and goods then.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
A good cheap on is cans of tomato sauce. 4 for a buck. Last a good while. Good by itself or to mix with things.

Ama

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
At the moment, I am currently stockpiling knowledge. I think the best thing to do is learn as much as you can about the true situation in order to make the best decisions in the future.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I've been watching the prices at my local grocery store. Yesterday I noticed that canola oil is way up and toilet paper us up almost $2 a block.

I get the medium canola bottles, and all but the store brand was $5+ some as high as seven dollars. The store brand was only up fifty cents per bottle (from this time last year), but they were almost sold out. Still I was thankful to get a bottle at $2.70. The big bottles of cooking oil were more expensive per amount.

Strangely my favorite salt & vinegar chips were down $1 per bag.

Is anyone else saving their receipts and keeping track of prices? I'm curious about sugar and flour prices but it's hard for me to measure because I don't buy those two very often.

apc

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Scrap copper and aluminum
9mm target and hydra
12ga buck and bird
baked beans
corn
rice
tuna
dry milk
powdered eggs
various soups
coffee bean
water
plenty of salad in the garden

I figure with what I have in stock now I can go two weeks, maybe three uncomfortably. I'm out of space to put stuff at the moment... working on it. The only thing right now that would have me concerned would be having social isolation imposed due to pandemic. I certainly wouldn't want to be depending on the Government to feed me.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
A couple of ideas if your stumped.

Small bottles of spirits. Not the airplane ones but the next size up. Excellent trade stock, never goes bad, and if you keep half vodka, a makeshift surgical/medical item.

Cheap small jars of peanut butter. Nothing says trap bait, or fire starter better than the old school favorite, and yes if it is well expired it still works for bait and fire starter, and can be eaten till then.

Wine. Lots of it. If you fill a good sized rack with younger cheaper wine it only gets better with age and keeps the juice and vitamin C fairly well. Excellent trade item or important event gift, wedding, birth etc. Buy young wines and you won't care if they rack for a decade or more. Tip: buy good wines and they go up in value and can be cashed out at a wine library if not used.

Boxes of nails. More uses than you can imagine if you also have a good high quality framing hammer. Can be welded into caltrops for access denial. Repair storm damage, Board up windows, build almost anything, if wood is available.

Get a water cooler delivered. Every week when they bring a new bottle stash one they seldom pay attention to empties unless they see a pile to pick up and you can build up a half dozen 5 gallon containers in not much time.

Yeast. Dry packets. It does expire, but I have opened packages almost 10 yrs old and made a starter with the few cells left alive. Bread, wine, sourdough starter, its all good.

Cans of prehopped beer malt. Never know when you need a few gallons of beer. Get Pilsner and it can be tapped right off the ferment and be carbonated. I don't mind room temp. Works in the UK too. Or bottle it if you can.... Made in sequence just before special events, warm is far better than nothing. Chilled down in a creek...figure it out on your own.

Cheap long burning religious candles. The kind at the grocery store. They last a long time and don't require fuel for producing lighting. They don't shine too bright either, which could draw people in.

Books you have not read.

Epsom salts. The half gallon size may last a lifetime.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I've been thinking about stockpiling for a couple of years now, but have only just started...not because I'm convinced that the world is going to blow up in some kind of war, although I do see that could be a possibility, but because my main concern is climate issues. We are lucky enough to live in a fairly isolated place with our own water supply and farms all around, but every year we have power cuts and get snowed in due to the weather. Fortunately so far, it has never been for more than a couple of days, but what if we get a 100 year storm, or a 1000 year storm? What do we do if we get snowed in for weeks, which is also a possibility....many indications are that we are heading for another mini ice age, so snowed in winters may again become the norm in Northern Europe, and then the food price issue....we just have to be more self sufficient, even if is means tomato plants on every windowsill, and mushrooms in the airing cupboard. Sprouted beans are very easy to grow too, and exceptionally nutritious. Get the right combination of sprouts and you will have all the nutrients the human body needs to survive.

So, I've started with the usual tinned stuff, and toiletries, and the freezer is wheezing already with the weight of stuff inside, but there are also other little bits and pieces that would make life more bearable, like coconut milk, (good for curries, rice pudding and smoothies...high in calories and very nutritious) and olive oil, which I'm not prepares to live without.

What I didn't realise until recently, is that most of us have woeful first aid knowledge, and very little in the way of medical supplies, including pet medication, which we may well need. I still am not too sure about this, but I will go and forage for information and report back...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I have built 2 solar powered generators. I started one last year and finished another last week. It does work and it's pretty easy. My plan is to have 10.

Specs can be found here: rain.org

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Not stockpiling too much. Have some canned goods but its too expensive to stock a lot of things.

I , however, do think I could survive. We've (my family) has a garden going. We have a barrel that collects rain water from the gutters and we use that to water the small garden. I'm not sure how you would get the water out but we live on a hill and the garden is lower than barrel so we just use a hose (suck on it or fill it with water) then it just flows out. For drinking water we would get it from our creek, boil it, then run it though our PUR water filter. Guess I better stock up on water filters. If I ever get some real money I'd buy some solar panels and have electricity. We have a wood burning fireplace (I dont know why anyone would want gas) and have a small woods in our back yard (maybe do some hunting).

So even if you cant afford to stockpile as long as your in a wooded area (one with a lake or creek) you should be able to survive.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Is everyone ready?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee
Is everyone ready?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just 5 more minutes....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

I'll never be "Ready"... I'm just gonna have to make do.

I dont have a government buget to go 1000 feet down with a 6 story high rise, connected with a train to similar shelters. No 30 Year Supply of food either...

Guess I'm Screwed.

Blitzkreigen

[edit on 14-6-2008 by Blitzkreigen]

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
That's ok, me neither. We did just put up another 30 bottles of Old Vine Zin, so that may be ready by fall. I got another 12 gals of pretty crappy white finishing up now.
I think we will 'feel' fine no matter what the future holds.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
For storing water, I use those big Clorox jugs. The plastic is permiated with chlorine. Find a closet, put them on the floor in a row. Put a 5" board on the top of the row and put more jugs on the board. As high as you want and start another row.

Dry vegetables, store them in an air tight jar with pharmcutical disedents, you know, those little packets to keep things dry. Ask your pharmacy to save some for you.

Then there's always beef jerky.

Look up the '70s Mother Earth News; there's lots of information. Find survival information online.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Water is my main concern. You can buy 50 gallon "food grade" drums for storage. Then you just need to have some iodine or another purifying method and you can store it for a very long time.

Other than that, we don't have large stocks of anything really. 30lbs of rice, lots of canned goods. We are just now starting to build up more storage. But water is the greatest concern.

Plus, this year I plan on canning the pears from my pear trees, drying apple slices from my apple trees and canning / pickling veggies from the garden.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Karlhungis]

Water is key. I went through three hurricanes in six weeks and no power for 15 days. Got by well save for drinking water. I now store 110 gallons in two-55 gallon food-grade barrels.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jasestrong2

Originally posted by Archideva
A few days ago I made a pot of pinto beans. Took hours to cook. Got to thinking later about just how much wood I would need to acomplish the same task in a situation X senerio. Remembered during Y2K I put up beans of all sorts in canning jars that I had processed in my canner. This is an idea I will began to think about doing here in the next week or so.

Pre-soak them and get or make a solar oven.

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I have to agree that Water, Food, Medical Supplies and TP are 1000% more important than a large supply of guns and ammo.

You clearly do not live where I live. Here the basic necessities are food/water, guns/ammunition. Got too many rioting, home invading minorities here NOT to stock a lot of ammo. I do agree that food and water should be the prime focus, but without guns and water someone will take that away, and I have no doubt that if society falls a part just a little there will be marauding gangs. And yes, I will be out gunned, but I'll take some with me. I am quite confident I can deal with disaster et al, it is the human predator that is the biggest threat.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join