It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stockpiling Now? If so, what?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...'
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The signs are clear. The food shortages are not only obvious, it's getting to the point where even the U.S., the breadbasket of the world, is about to re-institute rationing. This is an example of Situation-X looming on the very near horizon.

Are you stockpiling anything now? If so, what?
I myself intend on taking no chances.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
baked beans would be a good idea i reckon! they last for ages
any tinned food with a long life is a must
also grain and water filters will come in handy!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I think I'm just okay for shelf goods and staples. But, nutritionally, what's the best canned fruit? What's the best way to buy water for storing? How long will it last? Where do you put it? How do you know how much food is enough? What's the safest way to store gasoline?

AAGGHH!

[edit on 22/4/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Water is my main concern. You can buy 50 gallon "food grade" drums for storage. Then you just need to have some iodine or another purifying method and you can store it for a very long time.

Other than that, we don't have large stocks of anything really. 30lbs of rice, lots of canned goods. We are just now starting to build up more storage. But water is the greatest concern.

Plus, this year I plan on canning the pears from my pear trees, drying apple slices from my apple trees and canning / pickling veggies from the garden.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
This is going to be my next purchase. Get one now while you still can.

products.katadyn.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am rechecking my dry goods amounts.
Pasta
rice
legumes
jiffy muffin mix

I am also looking into upping my can goods
take advantage of those 10 for $10 sales.

Just to be on the safe side, I will double up on paper goods too.

I may wind up unemployed in the next 6 months with no prospects around.
One can never be over cautious.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Do you have any experience with that filter? Reviews make it sound cumbersome, but if you are using it for a sitx filter at home it sounds good. When they say the filter is cleanable and re-usable, does that have a limit, or will you be able to get by forever with one filter?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
How about twinkies! they never go bad apparently
but seriously, it would probobly be best to get as much canned stuff as you can and DEFINETLY water, i believe there will be a grip on water soon as people try desperatly to grow more crops.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tylerc25211

Rain barrels for the garden will help with a water shortage if one were to occur. Combined with a good filter, it would also double as drinking water in a pinch.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I have not used this filter, but I hear it's pretty reliable. Cumbersome I can deal with it this thing is capable of 26,000 gallons. I'm sure that number drops significantly as the water gets dirtier. I'm am not really that familiar with the filter so I am not sure how the cleaning process works. I may start a thread on that if one does not exist.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
uhmm...am i the only one that thinks someone is creatiing shortages, to line their own pockets? i can see the ads now...." 14.88 FOR YOUR OWN DVD ON HOW TO SURVIVE THE SHORTAGES", hype is getting either ridiculous, or we are not being shown what is really going on.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Stockpiling no...
but I have picked up a few things off of craigslist lately you all might want to add to your lists...
The first is a hand crank grain mill so I can make my own flour...this one also has an adaptor to make it belt driven from a small motor...

I also bought this spinning wheel off a kind of funky old back to nature new age hippy hold out... man she was way out there... Of course you can just make one out of Bike rim if you dont want to buy one
anyway I also picked up the hardware so when I have time I can build a Loom...

the other handy item I have stored away is something called a Yukon Chainsaw Mill See what I'm talking about here Anyway what this baby does is clamp to a log... with the chainsaw you can then cut perfect timbers or planks...

I do have plans to build my own Cast Iron Sink Forge Nothing major mind you just big enough to make simple repairs or even cut nails if I need them...

I mean its not just about food water and keeping yourself safe right...you do want to be comfortable have new clothes blankets, fix that broken hoe of maybe build on another room if a new baby comes right? not that you need wood to build a room or even a whole house... all you really need is a little clean dirt to live in high style

[edit on 22-4-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Survival » Are You Stockpiling Now? If so, what?

Comics books, thousands of 'em. I have dozens of long and short comic boxes full of them and read all the latest issues still (I'm a comic fan and addict of all the main titles and cross-overs and interesting new releases) I keep telling my self to organize them..but it seems an impossible task.
I read them, then put them in a comic box in no particular order.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I should point out however if you need to rely on can goods and don't know how to make a simple food drying rack then man your in serious trouble!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
No stockpiling here. I'm instead concentrating on self-sufficiency. Stockpiles can run out eventually, but being able to produce what you need will never run out.

Got the garden started, berry plants ordered, putting together materials for that chicken-house. That sawmill sounded good too, and a spinning wheel/loom isn't a bad idea either. Already set up with a reloading rig for hunting/protection.

I'm working on maintaining some kind of electrical power. I don't have much continuous running water here, and wind is real iffy. I guess I'll just have to hope and have faith that I can keep the juice flowing until I come up with a decent way to produce my own.

Gasoline is another concern, but again, for now, I just keep the tanks full and hope. Survivalism is a good thing, to be sure, but no one ever promised me it would be easy.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Just a thought but rather than focus on gas... why not build yourself a an ethanol Still you'll have to do things like change the jets and replace the rubber hoses but the ethanol would do just fine to power a small generator... garden tractor etc... not to mention its use as a disinfectant... Burp

[edit on 22-4-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I'm thinking of stocking up on beer,I don't drink it but know lot's that do,think about it ,might be the new legal tender

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

A very good thought. I could construct a crude still with what I have readily available now. Of course, the con side is that gasoline engines don't really run that well on alcohol, so some conversion would be needed.

Now I need to consider if all that corn mash will inhibit my food supply. Food and water first, protection second, energy third. (You listening, DC?)

Thanks for the suggestion.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
everclear, booze and cigs.

The everclear could be used for more then just drinking.

Sex might be the next legal tender as well, but pot would be pushing it.

I have this nagging feeling that won't shut up about buying food, water and arms. And I keep remembering a dream that filled with tombstones, one with my name on it.

Whatever, I'm ranting nonsense.

I just started buying two and half gallon jugs of water from my IRS checks.

The stores next door and water is four US a jug, so might as well.

Plan to buy some other items as well, including a hydroponic garden due to the fact they grow faster. Plan to have some land by the end of the year a state over, which would make life much easier.

A Mossberg and a 9mm comes to mind but living in the ghetto apartment in the desert with the projects next door is something I don't know how to prepare for.

Any ideas on how to keep this quiet?

And speaking of which, isn't the government alphabet watching on who stores what?

And projection date.

When do you believe major problems are going to start showing, like civil war?

Six months, a year. What?

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Ihavenoidea]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join