It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father fined for overfilling bin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Father fined for overfilling bin

news.bbc.co.uk

A father-of-three has been left with a criminal record for overfilling his wheelie bin by four inches.

Gareth Corkhill, 26, of Whitehaven, Cumbria, received a £110 fixed penalty notice after Copeland Council staff photographed his raised bin lid.

When he refused to pay he was taken to court where magistrates added a further £115 to the fixed penalty.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Copeland Council has defended its actions and pledged to continue to take action against overfilled wheelie bins.

I'm almost speechless on this one...
Do they really employ eople to go around photographing peoples bins so they can get a conviction?

I bet he had all his dna taken too seeing as he's now a criminal.

Absolutely ridiculous.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I have to assume a "wheelie bin" is a trash can? 110 pounds and a criminal record is quite a penalty for overstuffing the can. My trash service will sometimes charge you if you overfill, but it is a modest service fee, not a crime against humanity.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hey! It's not just the UK where this madness is taking hold, Australia also has it's Garbage Nazis.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au...

This is all seriously screwed up. Whilst real (serious and violent) crime is on the increase, they instead like to concentrate on soft targets. Create new laws criminalizing things that are so trivial that anyone with an ounce of common sense would toss out of court, just to fill the coffers and add to the self importance of local council officers who are too screwed up to get a real job in the private sector.

Phew, that was a bit of a rant but this sort of stuff just makes me so angry.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I wonder if the guy would qualify as a 'terrorist' under Bush & Cheney, if
it happened in the U.S.?

He's teaching his kids to place garbage in the proper bin, and he's
penalized for it? Nonsense. NONSENSE!

He needs a taller bin!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
They wont take them if the lid wont close completely either, it's ludicrous. Also, if they see you've put recycling in the black bin, or vice versa, then they wont pick up next week.

There's two sizes of bin to choose from as well- small and a little bit bigger but still bloody small.

Complete rubbish.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Haven't you learned by now: we're all criminals until proven otherwise. And so far, most people haven't proven otherwise. I'm sick of it too. So many prohibitive laws; you can't do this and you can't do that. It's crazy. This takes the cake, worse even than getting a criminal record for using cannabis, if that's possible.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I agree with this fine/conviction actually.

It is clearly state that all wheelie bins in the UK will NOT be collected if the lid does not fully close.

We are given two types of wheeliebins for free a green and a black one (in my county the green is for normal rubbish and the black for recycling -weird i know!)

The guy has 4 kids and a partner and each bin is collected every two weeks...at my house we sometimes skip putting out the bin because it is no where near full.

This guy over filled his bin and got a fine for it (he broke the rules clearly stated) insted of saying "oops my bad" he refused and it got taken to court where rightly so the judge added more to the fine and gave him a criminal record. All within the legal bindings of the rules stated about bin collection.
The fact he was tarded enough to refuse the first fine is his own fault, the fact that he should be schooling his children on how to recycle more and compost biodegrable produce is also his own fault.

new topics

top topics

join