It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear plants kill billions of fish, says scientist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Nuclear plants kill billions of fish, says scientist

www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk

Nuclear power plants in Britain kill billions of fish each year, according to a recent report by a scientist from Oxford University.

Peter Henderson, an environmental researcher, has compiled data that suggests that damage to Britain's marine fish stocks caused by coastal power plants using cooling systems that draw water from the sea is more severe than previously thought.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Well, if that is just in Brittain then how many billions are dieing worldwide?

Nuclear is killing billions of fish. Biofuels are killing/starving billions of people. Hey, at least oil is safe... right??

www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I don't understand why they couldn't make a closed loop system with perhaps, massive heat exchangers underground?

Subs so something similar - and although military reactors are diferant, I cannot see why it cannot be done for power generating facilities? Are any plants currently closed loop?

[edit on 22/4/2008 by C0bzz]

sty

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The british gov. just blocked the largest project for wind power generation on the ground that some birds could dissapear. Also on TV last night: this couple bought a country side house (UK again) and they wanted to fit the house with solar panels . This work was rejected by the local council , on the ground that the solar panel looks "allien". So my project with the geodesic house would have NO chance at all in the UK , even if the building would be at the top-scale of self-sufficiency and 0% carbon emissions.. because it is too modern!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
So what is it people? Choose your poison . . .

You're going to kill something no matter what source of energy you use

sty

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
We could fix Sterling engines wherever we have strong sunshine , this would not kill anything. But countries like UK or northern Europe would only have wind and waves as green energy. The Netherlands is using wind energy for more than 400 years, yet they still have birds! Birts would not not have any trouble with the wind turbines. If you do not believe me just ask them !

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I don't know of any American Nuclear powerplants that use sea water for cooling.

Usually it is rivers or canals, like the Ohio River.

The problem appears to be the fact the Brits are using the Sea, where Fish live.....

Any of you from around the Ohio River know full well theres not a single fish in the damn river..

new topics

top topics

join