It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have been beaten into submission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I think that Americans as a whole, are just too filled with apathy to act anymore.

OIL

In 2006 as gas prices were about $2.00 / gal

President Bush announced that he will investigate price gouging in the oil industry as well as divert deposits from the strategic petroleum reserve into the American market.

www.democrats.org...

This was when he actually seemed to care about his approval rating. Now with gas prices creeping up on $4.00 a gallon, people just don't seem to care. Well, they care but they know that no one is going to do anything about it. We especially lose confidence when our fearless leader says things like...

When taking the question about the $4 milestone, Bush told the reporter, "That's interesting. I hadn't heard that."

His new solution to help the working class is to help extend tax cuts for the wealthy that he imposed in his first term

that the best way to help Americans fend off high prices is for Congress to make his first-term tax cuts permanent.

money.cnn.com...

So, here we sit with Oil trading at +$117.00/barrel and nobody cares. Some people blame peak oil and claim it is a supply and demand issue, even though OPEC says that isn't the case.

There is no shortage of oil in the market, Secretary- General Abdalla el-Badri said yesterday in Rome, blaming the weak dollar and speculators for high prices
www.bloomberg.com...

And our leader doesn't even bat an eye.

ECONOMY
Dollar is down, unemployment is up, foreclosures are up, national debt has now reached cartoon levels, food prices are soaring, gas is at record levels, airlines are going bankrupt, chain stores going bankrupt, banks are being bailed out... etc. Yet our politicians tell us

"The foundations of the American economy are strong."

Average Americans are now being laid off by the thousands by the same companies who's CEO's are getting paid 100's of millions of dollars. The same Americans that are being laid off are paying their tax dollars to bail out the Fat Cat CEO's who have ran their companies into the ground.

We are now faced with choosing a candidate to fix our problem, one that will have the interests of the average person in mind. So, here we get to choose from

Clinton: Her campaign is 10 million dollars in debt, yet somehow she is a good choice to fix our nations economy? www.cnn.com...

She is worth over $100,000,000, yet she can somehow relate to the woes of the working class?

McCain: He has broken the campaign finance laws that HE HELPED PUT INTO PLACE. www.americablog.com...

He has 9 houses worth over $13 million. Says economic problems are "psychological," Americans should deal with recession by "working a second job." - Yet, he can relate to what the average Joe is feeling?

Obama: Only worth a measly 1.4 million money.cnn.com...

Now, he isn't as wealthy as the other two but that is still a far cry from being able to relate to someone who has lost their job and can't afford to feed their family.

TERROR
Now 1 in 350 Americans is listed on the FBI's terrorist watch list. We are now encouraged to spy on our neighbors and family. ISP's have been given immunity for spying on Americans without a warrant. Everyday there is something new in the news which broadens the target of the war on terror.

If you refer to the constitution, you might be a terrorist. video.google.com...

If you question the government, you might be a terrorist....
and on
and on
and on

I could go on, but I need to stop somewhere. In conclusion, I think that apathy has taken over because most of us who care about our country and our people have come to realize that the deck is so stacked against us, that we are helpless to stop it. Our government is run by special interest groups. Our media is owned by the same groups. Government corruption doesn't get any airtime. The average Joe is disposable, while the CEO's and corporations must be protected at all costs. If you speak your mind, you will be punished. They have all the power.

I just thought I would share where I am coming from. Forgive me if it is incoherent, I had to write it in 2 sittings.

join