It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriffs Back Three Jails for Illegal Immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Sheriffs Back Three Jails for Illegal Immigrants

www.wltx.com

South Carolina sheriffs back a plan to build three regional prisons in the state to hold illegal immigrants as they await deportation.

The current plan calls for the three prisons to hold up to 400 inmates each. State prison officials will run the facilities, which will be paid for through a program with the federal Department of Homeland Security.

It hasn't been determined who will pay to build the prisons, and officials stress the plan is a work in progress.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
50 percent of LA workforce are immigrants
Detaining Illegal Immigrants: Both Sides of the Issue / Political Stands
Illegal Immigrants Received Poor Care In Jail, Lawyers Say

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Codename ENDGAME: The immigrant detention facilities.
Concentration camps in America: The consequences of 40 years of fear
Halliburton to build detention camps in the USA
Concentration Camps: Locations and Executive Orders
Mass Deportations coming for Jailed Illegal Immigrants

[edit on 4/22/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Sheriffs in South Carolina want to build special prisons to hold illegal immigrants. What happened to deporting them? There was a recent thread about a mass deportation of immigrants, but some sheriffs from S.C. think jailing them would be a better idea.

So instead of sending them home, we're going to spend taxpayer dollars (South Carolinians will be in this case) to indefinitely jail illegal immigrants. That sounds like an effective immigration policy.

Several sheriffs tell The Myrtle Beach Sun News that the plan would remove the inmates from overcrowded county jails, where they take up valuable space as they await officials to transfer them to the closest federal immigration court in Atlanta.

Actually drug offenders take up space, while rapists and murderers are set free. Our whole jail system needs to be rethought.

I'm not particularly pro-amnesty, nor am I anti-immigrants, but we need to figure out a solution that works for both sides.

Obviously building a border fence or detaining illegal immigrants isn't going to stop people from crossing the border. How about we have an open and honest discussion about what to do with immigrants, legal or illegal.

After all, we're all immigrants to this country. The 13 original colonies, and pretty much every state after that, had illegal immigrants; The Europeans.

www.wltx.com

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
biggie smalls wrote:

Actually drug offenders take up space, while rapists and murderers are set free. Our whole jail system needs to be rethought.

I'm not particularly pro-amnesty, nor am I anti-immigrants, but we need to figure out a solution that works for both sides.

Obviously building a border fence or detaining illegal immigrants isn't going to stop people from crossing the border. How about we have an open and honest discussion about what to do with immigrants, legal or illegal.

After all, we're all immigrants to this country. The 13 original colonies, and pretty much every state after that, had illegal immigrants; The Europeans.

I'd agree with all that. The rest of thing stinks to high heaven!

Ok... so they are costing us money by being here, one way or another, and now we're going to gaurantee to spend "X" amount to jail them? This makes no sense at all... but what has lately by the PTB?

More and more areas to "hold" people. It seems just another excuse to build more.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Put Marine snipers on the border to stop illegal immigration the way they do it best. They are already on the Government's dime and it will not cost extra.

AMERICA IS BEING INVADED! It is time to get serious about protecting what is left of our country.

[edit on 4-22-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

Sheriffs in South Carolina want to build special prisons to hold illegal immigrants. What happened to deporting them? There was a recent thread about a mass deportation of immigrants, but some sheriffs from S.C. think jailing them would be a better idea.
In other words, what they really want is a free labor force, and some extra taxpayer dollars to line their pockets with.

So instead of sending them home, we're going to spend taxpayer dollars (South Carolinians will be in this case) to indefinitely jail illegal immigrants. That sounds like an effective immigration policy.
Effective would be buying a fleet of busses and hiring drivers to deport them as soon as they're processed. It would also create new jobs!

Free the druggies, and apply the death penalty to capital offenders like rapist, kidnappers, and murders. Why do we continue to spend millions of dollars feeding and caring for these societal rejects? Free up the cells for more worthy candidates.

Put up a real wall with armed guards that have authority to shoot. That will solve most of the problem, or better yet let the militias and Biker gangs deal with them and stop interfering. They'd be doing a public service.

That's true, but the majority of our ancestors came here legally through Ellis Island, and did not put a drain on the economy. They contributed to their new country, and readily adopted the language and culture. They were also willing to make the effort to become naturalized the right way, and were proud to do so, and call themselves Americans. Illegals and legitimate immigrants are apples and oranges in my opinion.

www.wltx.com

[edit on 4/22/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Illegal immigrants pay taxes...

Immigrants pay tax share

Illegal Immigrants pay billions in taxes

The tax system collects its due, even from a class of workers with little likelihood of claiming a refund and no hope of drawing a Social Security check.

Illegal immigrants are paying taxes to Uncle Sam, experts agree. Just how much they pay is hard to determine because the federal government doesn't fully tally it.

But the latest figures available indicate it will amount to billions of dollars in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes this year. One rough estimate puts the amount of Social Security taxes alone at around $9 billion per year.

Paycheck withholding collects much of the federal tax from illegal workers, just as it does for legal workers.

I just wanted to post this before anyone started blaming immigrants for their problems.

People are able to file for a card that resembles the social security one, and given a number. This is how most of them are able to open bank accounts.

Not only are businesses in compliance with the immigrants, but so are the banks.

Lloyd,

The majority of our ancestors came here legally through Ellis Island, and did not put a drain on the economy. They contributed to their new country, and readily adopted the language and culture.

The original 13 states were colonies, living in stolen property. The settlers/colonists did not "legally" come here.

They were given a right to invade courtesy of their King or Queen, depending on what time period you talk about.

The French, English, Spanish, and Portuguese all invaded the Americas illegally (if you want to get into semantics, so did the Vikings and probably Irish before them- read the Saint Bernard (?) story of how he came over to the Americas) long before "illegal" immigration was a problem.

You could draw parallels between the European invasion of the Western hemisphere with the Israeli invasion of Palestine. In both cases there were peoples already living there. In both cases, many indigenous peoples have died as a result of the conquering nations.

I do not agree with this statement for the most part either. Although I am fine with freeing nonviolent drug offenders, I am not ok with murder:

Free the druggies, and apply the death penalty to capital offenders like rapist, kidnappers, and murders. Why do we continue to spend millions of dollars feeding and caring for these societal rejects?

The death penalty is not an effective tool of a "civilized" nation. If we're going to murder rapists, kidnappers, and murderers, we might as well start murdering petty theft.

"Society" is a man-made construct, no more relevant to reality than say a nation-state or corporation.

Free up the cells for more worthy candidates.

And after the murderers, rapists, and kidnappers are dead, who else would be fit to go to jail? Political dissenters? Ecoterrorists? Liberals? Conservatives? Who?

I'd say the people you mentioned above would deserve to rot in jail for their crimes (aside from kidnapping, I'm more lenient on that end for some reason unbeknownst to me) not get the easy way out of death.

Put up a real wall with armed guards that have authority to shoot. That will solve most of the problem, or better yet let the militias and Biker gangs deal with them and stop interfering. They'd be doing a public service.

Huh? Kill all the people who are attempting to live a better life in America? At some point in the past we welcomed immigrants, now we want them all dead. That's just great.

Now you're advocating for criminals to patrol our borders and murder innocent civilians?

Come on now. You're a smart guy.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Illegal immigrants pay taxes...

Illegal immigrants are paying taxes to Uncle Sam, experts agree. Just how much they pay is hard to determine because the federal government doesn't fully tally it.

But the latest figures available indicate it will amount to billions of dollars in federal income, Social Security and Medicare taxes this year. One rough estimate puts the amount of Social Security taxes alone at around $9 billion per year.

Paycheck withholding collects much of the federal tax from illegal workers, just as it does for legal workers.
They may in fact pay taxes, but how much do they drain away from social programs like AFDC, Medicaid, and WIC? They also cost American workers jobs by working for substandard wages and benefits. This doesn't even take into account the crimes they commit, or the financial drain they place on school systems to educate their children with bilingual teachers because they refuse to learn English.

Not only are businesses in compliance with the immigrants, but so are the banks.
I know you're kidding here, how can you be in compliance with the law when you knowingly hire illegal immigrants? Americans have to provide social security cards, fill out I-9 forms, provide birth certificates, ad nauseum. Why aren't these illegals required to do the same thing?

The original 13 states were colonies, living in stolen property. The settlers/colonists did not "legally" come here.
Technically speaking they did. The spoils belong to the victor, the indians lost. I don't agree with how the Native Americans have been treated, but there is little that can be done about it now. If anyone deserves reparations, they do. I doubt the US government is going to deed back the country to them anytime in the near future though.

I do not agree with this statement for the most part either. Although I am fine with freeing nonviolent drug offenders, I am not ok with murder:
Executions by the state for capital crimes doesn't constitute murder, it's justice. These individuals contribute nothing to our society other than chaos and mayhem.

The death penalty is not an effective tool of a "civilized" nation. If we're going to murder rapists, kidnappers, and murderers, we might as well start murdering petty theft.
How can eliminating violent, non-productive individuals from society not be an effective tool? People will once again be able to sleep soundly in their beds at night, and walk their streets without being afraid.

Petty theft is not in the same category as capital offenses, so I don't believe the punishment should be near as harsh.

"Society" is a man-made construct, no more relevant to reality than say a nation-state or corporation.
Unfortunately it's all we've got, so we must make the best of it.

And after the murderers, rapists, and kidnappers are dead, who else would be fit to go to jail? Political dissenters? Ecoterrorists? Liberals? Conservatives? Who?
People who commit lesser offenses like theft, unarmed robbery, assault & battery, child abuse, etc.

Huh? Kill all the people who are attempting to live a better life in America? At some point in the past we welcomed immigrants, now we want them all dead. That's just great.
They can live a better life in their own countries, it simply requires them to put forth some personal effort. They advocate their rights here pretty well, so they should do it in their own countries. All vacancies here are filled unless they're willing to go through the legal channels.

Now you're advocating for criminals to patrol our borders and murder innocent civilians?

Come on now. You're a smart guy.
Militiamen aren't criminals, they're patriots who are willing to protect their country at no cost to the taxpayer.

[edit on 4/22/08 by LLoyd45]

new topics

top topics

join