It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animal Activists Offer a Million Dollars For Test-Tube Meat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Animal Activists Offer a Million Dollars For Test-Tube Meat

rawstory.com

Steaks out of a test-tube? The animal rights group PETA is putting up a million dollar reward for anyone who by 2012 can grow in-vitro meat that looks and tastes like the real thing.

"In-vitro meat production would use animal stem cells that would be placed in a medium to grow and reproduce. The result would mimic flesh and could be cooked and eaten," People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said in a statement.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Heh-PETA is up to their shenanigans again...With all of the cloning going on, I'm sure someone will be able to pull this off. Hell, I'm not sure somebody ALREADY hasn't---Those McNuggets from Mickey D's look like they were made from anything BUT A real chicken. lol

"In-vitro meat would spare animals from this suffering. In addition, in vitro meat would dramatically reduce the devastating effects the meat industry has on the environment."

And it added that while "humans don't need to eat meat at all" since many people continued "to refuse to kick their meat addictions, PETA is willing to help them gain access to flesh that doesn't cause suffering and death."

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
A flag for the content and a star for the joke

It does seem to make me a little queezy thinking about it
Like you noted though, no different, and probably better for you, than the McNuggets. Hell... you know damn well practically any part of the chix gets squeezed into those things, except maybe the beak

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I'm confused, surely this test tube meat (if created) would replace the need for animals and thus farm yard animals would be worse off because there wouldn't be a use for them, what would be the point in farmers buying feed for them if he won't earn from them?

Unless i'm wrong, if this invention does take off when created then I can see mass farm yard culls.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Knights

Possibly. I think there would still be enough demand for actual meat, that it would never fully replace it. However, according to kleverone, maybe we shouldn't be eating it anyway.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Yeah I agree. I think that there is going to be a large group of people who will refuse to eat test tube meat. There are religious people who might think we are playing god, or whatever....then the hardcore meat lovers who will hate the idea of test tube meat because its not the real thing.

I dont find any issues with it at all. i think it could get me eating red meat agian. i love it so much, but I think there are health concerns regarding it so i dont eat it. Its possible that this could be a healthy alternative.

top topics

join