It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Primitive Alien Life May Exist, Stephen Hawking Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Primitive Alien Life May Exist, Stephen Hawking Says

news.yahoo.com

Alien life may well exist in a primitive form somewhere in our corner of the galaxy, famed astrophysicist Stephen Hawking said Monday....
...."We don't appear to have been visited by aliens," Hawking said, adding that he discounts reports of UFOs. "Why would they only appear to cranks and weirdoes?"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.space.com

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Alright all those non-believers. Stephen Hawking believes that alien life may exist. But he seems to believe that it may be primitive life forms. So where does his belief stand among those that believe aliens are far superior to us?
He believes UFOs only appear to weirdos. How does that make those that claim to have an experience feel?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
He has right to call anyone weirdos?
I respect his accomplishments but maybe he should re-evaluate what he says, EGO can be a bad thing.

Hawkings isn't the end all say all so his statements hold basically the same weight as would anyone elses regarding the matter.

I don't believe, neither do I disbelieve... I simply don't know, just like everyone of you, unless you can provide tangible evidence to prove otherwise.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
That makes me exceedingly angry!

Thanks for making this thread.

Given the fact of who he is, how much he knows, and all the knowledge at his fingertips that the rest of us don't have concerning his whole area of concentration and his sheer brain power, he is either horribly misinformed and ignorant of all the UFO evidence out there now, or completely closed minded or he has another agenda. And from him giving the speech "celebrating NASA's 50th anniversary" I choose the agenda answer.

Either way, what an ignorant and ridiculous statement to make.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
His statement here is definitely not one that I would expect from a man of his caliber. Seems sort of childish in a way. You would think he would definitely be more open minded to the whole possibility.

[edit on 4/21/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If an advanced species were to come by and check us out, they sure as heck wouldn't want to make contact with us, and would likely conceal their approach.

I mean... I wouldn't want to make contact with us... and I'm one of us.

Just because we haven't made contact doesn't mean they're not there. Any assumption to the contrary is a form of ignorance that belongs back in the medieval times.

Yes, there may also be primitive alien life out there... but considering how young we are compared to the age of our planet... there simply has to be more intelligent life out there... and quite easily within our own galaxy.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Exactly right palehorse, very childish...that's like a line out of a speech from back in the 50's when everyone who saw a "flying saucer" was labeled a "crackpot."

It's completely outrageous and unacceptable coming from someone like him. I wish I knew where to send an e-mail in protest! I am sooo fired up.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It does seem strange for somebody as ‘smart’ as him to make a statement like that. If our scientists locate ‘possible evidence’ of primitive life in a far off star system, the data is more than likely thousands or even millions of years old. Allowing for evolution whichever way you look at it is highly likely the life has become intelligent by now.
Did we not come from primitive microscopic cells ourselves?

Maybe he can’t bear the thought of another creature showing him up in the ways of quantum physics? Or disproving current theories of interstaller and/or SoL travel?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

WOW!!!! Stephen Hawking made quite the bold statement. I agree with him on the possibility of primitive life on other planets. I have never seen a UFO myself but there sure do seem to be a lot of people I know who I would call neither a freak nor a wierdo who have claimed to see what they thought was a UFO. And While Mr. Hawking may possess a rather large amount of intellect he should not be alluding to freaks and weirdo's seeing as how strange he may appear to some. I am disappointed in his view of those who have claimed to have seen UFO's I can put it no other way for a man who just got a little less of my respect.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Hawking is a brilliant man, but I find his statement to be a bit arrogant. How can any human dwelve so deeply into physics, be so aware of the immensity of the universe, yet claim any other life is probably less intelligent?

And that is assuming his newest black hole theory is correct and we discount parrallel worlds. Even without invoking higher dimensions or the multiverse, let's not forget the universe is crazy huge!

**I take that back he did say "our region of the galaxy." Still, considering the state of modern physics, I don't find him very imaginative.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Scramjet76]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
While not a smoking gun of evidence that Hawking has dramatically changed his opinion (at least publically) on this topic, this is interesting. In 10 years time apparently the door of possibillity has closed for Dr. Hawking.
www.timstouse.com...

"Of course it is possible that UFO's really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the government is hushing it up" Comment by Stephen Hawking on C Span Television.

Of course if Worf had just walked in on that damn poker game while Hawking was paying attention, he'd now be one of those "wierdos" talking about advanced alien life forms.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
See, the problem with scientists / physicists and alien life is...if all of what a lot of us believe to be true is in fact true, then most of what Hawkings and other Propeller-Heads beilieve and have been devoting their whole lives to all of a sudden not only becomes first grade science, but a lot of their theories get flushed down the toilet as well.
They say if / when disclosure finally happens, the suicide rate will soar...mostly in the science and religious sectors.

top topics

join