It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shame on you Stephen Hawking

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Maybe he didn't really say that, maybe his voice computer glitched!

Nah, all jokes aside i think Hawkings is just pissed because the E.T.'s never shown any interest in his ass, they don't want anything to do with his flawed genes

"They took a look at him and said NEXT!

[edit on 22-4-2008 by damdevildog]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The man's allowed to have an opinion, isn't he? Even though it's contrary to yours, that doesn't take away from his brilliance and the gifts he's given to the field of science through his amazing intellect.

It's difficult to deny what he said, that there are a lot of truly weird people involved in the UFO scene. Not to offend anybody, but a quick glance at this board alone would tell you as much.

It certainly shouldn't come as a shock to any of you that somebody as involved in so-called 'mainstream science' as Mr. Hawking would discredit UFO evidence, which is shaky at best. You're going to need a piece of smoking-gun evidence to convince these people, and frankly, it doesn't exist at this point.

Also, what a lot of you are leaving out are the fantastic ideas he gave at the conference - one being that PRIMITIVE life most likely does exist, and another that the the future of humanity may very well lie in space travel - IE, finding other planets outside our own system suitable for human life.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Monger]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
LOL. Glad to see ATS up in arms about this as well
Last night upon reading the news I sent him this email:

MOD EDIT

[edit on 23-4-2008 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierreletrek
reply to post by Alien Abduct

Are you that narrow minded! Send loads of email, whats that gonna prove, Not much i think. Why dont you concentrate on finding data to prove him wrong! Prove abductions or alien sightings. MMMMMM I dont think you can, but pick on an old man with MNS, dead easy, whey hey the big man investigator! Get over it lads he said the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Next investigation!

I'm not trying to PROVE anything, little girl. I was just suggesting that we have a conversation with him.

Whats so bad about that?

How is that picking on him?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
stephan hawking has A LOT of gall to call UFO witnesses cranks and weirdos.
but it's acceptable cause his legs don't work

i know it's mean. but it makes sense no?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
look at it this way, the man wants to go to space and it has to be done through the US government in order to do it successfully.

gvt: we need you to say that aliens dont exist and that the people that do believe in them are crack pots

SH: ok will do done when can i go?

gvt: as early as 2009 we can get you into space

SH: coolbeans done deal

hence the interview.

well i hope it was something like that. bc i do believe in one of the science shows i watched he did say that there is intelligent life in the universe and we are stupid to believe we are the only ones. or something like that

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Ok. I have not read every post from page 1 to the end of page 7. Sorry, no need. 'Simply too much repetition there saying nothing more than, "Wow, I'm pissed off at Hawking too.

Has anybody compared this similarity to other deniers of note that also should have known UFOs are ET craft? Anybody mention Asimov, Arther Clarke or, hold your breath, Sagan? (Do these people NEVER talk to any insiders?)

We can dwell on Sagan because while his biographer covers nicely for him, he also details how Sagan was totally obcessed with UFOs when he was an undergrad and even later as a grad student teacher. But someplace along the line he saw the light (about the time he worked on the so-called Condon Report) of what The Man wanted and what he must do to keep himself in good company. Sagan learned how to do a balancing act that favored the master plan. Perhaps he specifically was selected for the job or chose that path entirely on his own as a way to go. Regardless, it was a brilliant ploy, constanly talking up aliens and Martians, but denying UFOs all the while rising to preminence in the scientific priesthood and the eyes of the public . That is one reason why he was so popular. He knew what both sides wanted and he carefully metered out the proper progression of desired indoctination in his popular style.

It's all part of the game plan folks.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
As a purported man of science, if he claims to be that, he should be practicing skepticism. Skepticism means to refrain from making assertions without proof, including the assertion that something is not so, and to refrain from embracing the assertions of others without proof. Thus, he is perfectly entitled to say that he is unconvinced that extraterrestrials (or others) have visited Earth or have been sighted by members of humanity, however, if he is a genuine skeptic and pure scientist, he cannot make the assertion that they definitely have not, or that those who make such assertions are "cranks and weirdoes," without proof. (Evidence - especially inferred evidence - and proof are two different things.) At most, he can say that he is unconvinced and ask for proof. Without proof, he must still remain open minded and skeptical.

These statements on his part do nothing, in my opinion, to diminish his contributions to science and moreover the public awareness of science, however I do not personally feel that they are in keeping with genuine skepticism or pure science.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierreletrek
I would also like to know how some folk become moderators, as one or two of you dont understand moderation, reason or even intelligence, my god whats the story there. Do they do an IQ test! Present company accepted.

Would you care to give me specifics as to who you are referring to?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
You know, some of us would love to have Hawking as a research partner in this field. Too bad though, the man has seen everything in the universe and didn't tell the rest of us. Such ignorance from a man considered to have a spy glass into the mind of God.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I think I’ve misunderstood something somewhere because I just can’t comprehend why people care this much…..so he doesn’t believe, so? Stop your bitching people let him have his view

[edit on 23-4-2008 by andre18]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

We don't shut up because he is in the business of truth. Finding it and presenting it. He's a scientist. When a scientist of his caliber makes comments like this he should expect a backlash. It is blatant ignorance to label it crackpot theory when it is an observed phenomenon. UFO research is based on the same basic scientific tool as astronomy and geophysics, observation. This warrants by definition more scientific scrutiny, not ignorant statements of dismissal.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
I think I’ve misunderstood something somewhere because I just can’t comprehend why people care this much…..so he doesn’t believe, so? Stop your bitching people let him have his view

The point is he is a public figure and he called believers "cranks" and "weirdos".

AceWombat04
"As a purported man of science, if he claims to be that, he should be practicing skepticism. Skepticism means to refrain from making assertions without proof, including the assertion that something is not so, and to refrain from embracing the assertions of others without proof. Thus, he is perfectly entitled to say that he is unconvinced that extraterrestrials (or others) have visited Earth or have been sighted by members of humanity, however, if he is a genuine skeptic and pure scientist, he cannot make the assertion that they definitely have not, or that those who make such assertions are "cranks and weirdoes," without proof. (Evidence - especially inferred evidence - and proof are two different things.) At most, he can say that he is unconvinced and ask for proof. Without proof, he must still remain open minded and skeptical.

These statements on his part do nothing, in my opinion, to diminish his contributions to science and moreover the public awareness of science, however I do not personally feel that they are in keeping with genuine skepticism or pure science. "

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I very much doubt he’s made his view without researching it first – with all the Billy Meyers out there, idiots claiming lizards are controlling the world and countless videos of faked UFO footage I wouldn’t blame him for believing what he does

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I wouldn't get too upset, he contradicts himself here ...

"Of course it is possible that UFO's really do contain aliens as many people believe, and the Government is hushing it up."

Professor Stephen Hawking

Sagan contradicted himself too.

It is sometimes noted that Carl Sagan's generally skeptical attitude to UFOs conflicted sharply with his views in a 1966 book he wrote with Russian astronomer and astrophysicist I.S. Shklovskii, Intelligent Life in the Universe. Here Sagan instead argued that technologically advanced alien civilizations were common and he considered it very probable that Earth had been visited many times in the past.

Dr. J Allen Hynek - Director of US Air Force's Project Blue Book contradicted himself too.

He denied the existence of UFO's for years, but the truth eventually slips out.

"When the long awaited solution to the UFO problem comes, I believe that it will prove to be not merely the next small step in the march of science, but a mighty and totally unexpected quantum leap. We had a job to do, whether right or wrong, to keep the public from getting excited."

Dr. J Allen Hynek
Director US Air Force's Project Blue Book as a scientific consultant, astronomer, investigator and analysis.

www.netscientia.com...

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Markshark4]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Markshark4,
You know, anyone can post webpages on the net -- and by this I mean anyone!
And they can also put what they want on their webpages too!

And sometimes, they even change the wording of "quotes" so they are in agreement with their point of views on things. We see this all the time on websites on the net.

In the quotes cited in your post that are on that webpage you gave us a link to, there are no links to the sources where those "quotes" were found.

Nor are there any footnotes anywhere either. The author of that webpage is definitely a "Nuts and Bolt" UFO/Alien believer and who's to say that he didn't alter or even make up some of those quotes on this page to reflect his viewpoint on UFOs?

And how many times have we heard those who are "quoted" on something, retort back "I never said that!".

It goes without saying that the most reliable source on what any given well known person in the UFO field believes in is from those books that they themselves author or where they are recorded via video or audio where we can watch or hear them stating their opinions on things -- other than these, any other source of information on what someone in this field is saying about this or that remains suspect.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Palasheea]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I am astonished at the disrespect Shown to this man IMHO.

If any of you posted a view and was #canned as the majority of you have done here , there would be an uproar.

My points....

1. I deeply respect Hawkings vision, and unseeing understanding of that which most of us will never begin to comprehend.

2. I have had and an experience that cannot be understood or explained by me or the very few I have related that night to. ( never published even here)

Give the man a break.
We all disagree about things here on ATS... but just because its your ( and mine even) fervent belief that there are other things going on.......

PLEASE ! Dont criticise the man because he HAS an opinion.

He may know more than we think

Cheers

Mungo

[edit on 23/4/2008 by mungodave]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
i think this is a typical view of ufology from the science field in general. After all, most serious scientist recieve most of their info from journals, research reports etc. How many respected scientist put out decent studies into this phenomena and subject, and how many get published in respected science journals, how many want to fund these studies, how many educational and private establishments want this topic at all.......that is why we get the weirdo-crackpot tag. I can't believe his comment though.....after all it was his attempt to explain elements of the universe that has given this guy his life......why attempt to shot down anothers attempt at an explanation for other elements of it. Poor form Stevo( i am calling him this from now on, it is one of the guys in JACKA$$), i'm throwing my copy of "A brief history of time" in the bin.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by atlasastro]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I have been impressed with Stephen Hawking
as much as most but frankly, I would never have trusted him with the lives of my family and have always taken anything he has put forth with reservations; just like I would with anyone.

However, would trust these people and consequently, Stephen Hawking
is now beyond being trusted:

www.netro.ca...

Google Video Link

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I have a slightly different slant on this, having read this interview some time ago. I believe that it is Stephen Hawking's duty to not cause panic. For him to confirm the existence of ET would legitimise the entire field, it would lead to free energy alternatives implemented and the world as we know it to transform into an economy free from the drudgery of the ruling cartels. If Stephen Hawking says aliens are real, then the people of the world will listen. It's his responsibility to shut up and ensure the status quo remains until every last drop of fossil fuel is squeezed from the earth.

He is in exactly the same position as Carl Sagan. A man who subsequently flip-flopped his position, probably under duress. Hawking probably knows the truth but can't come out and say it, aside from his terribly debilitating physical prowess, he probably realises that the implications of legitimising ET would bring disastrous consequences for the power base he largely represents (science / cosmology / current scientific thinking / way of the world).

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join