It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shame on you Stephen Hawking

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MachXX
His IQ isn't stratospheric like 170-200 - the way Isaac Newton, Leibnitz, John Stuart Mill, or Thomas Jefferson had. It's probably not much higher than 140-150, which is a level you can find many students possess at any university.

Not a single one of those whom you've listed were even alive when the first IQ test was administered.

How can you ascribe an IQ score to them?

Obviously, these were intelligent men, but one can only guess at what their IQs might have been.

How do you know Hawking's IQ score?

You should consider that an IQ score is just a score on a test on any given day and many factors can influence those scores.

IQ scores have meaning, but they are not perfect indicatord of intelligence.

There is not even a consensus of what intelligence is or how to measure it.

[edit on 2008/4/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
IQ tests dont prove anything in my book ... someone can be highly intelligent but have no common sense....

to be truly intelligent i think that you need to have the whole package .....

Sorry bout the short post mods ...

just my 2 cents

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Woah, slow down with all the flaming! I read a different source about this earlier (will try and find out where).

BUT.. Stephen Hawking named so-called abductees weirdos and cranks not people who claim to have seen them. He mentioned a lot of the people coming forward with claims they had been probed etc were usually living in cloud cukoo land.

Secondly, something he said caught my attention:

The probability of primitive life developing on a suitable planet may be extremely low, or it may be high, but aliens intelligent enough to beam signals into space may also be smart enough to build civilization-destroying weapons like nuclear bombs.

Now he was lecturing at a NASA conference? It seems strange he picked up on the fact that an advanced race may have the technology to build nuclear weapons or something similar, wouldn't this sole fact be reason enough for NASA to hide alien life forms away? To prevent public panic?

[edit on 22-4-2008 by Knights]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Just wow.This coming from a man that people say is one of the smartest in the world?And on top of that labelling people as cranks and weirdos,while hes in a wheelchair with a computer that talks for him?Yes shame on you Mr. Hawking.You of all people should know better.He just lost credibility, with me anyways.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking is a physical enigma. How has this guy lived so long with Lou Gherig's disease???? Physically fit athletes have succombed to this disease very quickly, yet this guy just goes on and on. Something's not right with this guy. His life is being prolonged covertly by some secret medicine not available to the majority of ALS patients.

That being said, Hawking is a scientist and scientists rely on scientific method. Most are by nature incapable of publicly making risky statements for fear of professional ridicule by their colleagues, and surely a man with Hawking's credentials has a hell of a lot more to lose. His opinion on aliens and UFOs matters not to me.

Peace

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsRus
IQ tests dont prove anything in my book ... someone can be highly intelligent but have no common sense....

to be truly intelligent i think that you need to have the whole package .....

Sorry bout the short post mods ...

just my 2 cents

Indeed.after all Mr.Bush is a Yale graduate isnt he?Yet when he speaks he sounds dumb as an ox.No offense to the ox of course.Common sense is currently lacking with the Bush admin.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justice11
Indeed.after all Mr.Bush is a Yale graduate isnt he?Yet when he speaks he sounds dumb as an ox.No offense to the ox of course.Common sense is currently lacking with the Bush admin.

Just shows how much that represents in the scheme of things.

Also, that's quite an insult to Ox's.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ian990003100
If you wish to send an email to Professor Hawking you may do so by mailing:
S.W.Hawking@damtp.cam.ac.uk

I just sent this email to him...

Hello, Mr Hawking.

Your recent comments about aliens have caused a stir on the Above Top Secret (ATS) forum. Many members are particularly upset that you chose to use the words 'cranks' and 'weirdos' to describe people who have witnessed extraterrestrial aliens. Note that ATS itself has no opinion on your comments, as the content is all member generated.

Please visit the following link and read the thread for yourself...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As a member of ATS, I invite you to join the forum, should you wish to explain the reasoning behind your choice of words. I'm sure that your presence on the forum would be welcomed by all, including the three owners of ATS.

If you wish to register using your real name, then the owners would be more than happy to verify your identity. ATS is probably the number one conspiracy website on the internet. I think that you might be surprised with some of the topics and discussions that take place there, in a well moderated environment.

If you have the time and the desire to do so, then please help us understand your point of view on the topic of UFOs and indeed, your opinion on the fringe areas of theoretical research that interests you.

Thanks for your time to read my email.

I received an auto-reply that read like this...

Thank you for your email to Professor Hawking. As you can imagine, Prof. Hawking receives many such every day. He very much regrets that due to the severe limitations he works under, and the enormous number of requests he receives, he is unable to compose a reply to every message, and we do not have the resources to deal with many of the specific scientific enquiries and theories we receive.
Etc...

Hopefully, he may read the thread - who knows?

I doubt he will sign-up here, but it was worth a try. I know we would all be pleased to see him sign up here and contribute his opinion.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Excellent work my friend .....

I hope he does come to this thread ........ imagine if he became a regular ... we could ask him some really really interesting questions about black holes .... the universe etc .... it would really help debunk some stuff...IMHO

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Yeah Stephen Hawking is smart.

But, so is Michio Kaku and Hawking's good friend Roger Penrose and countless other scientists. As a matter of fact the other two I just named both have won more awards then Hawking.

I think the only reason why he gets more attention is because people feel sorry for him because of his disease.

"cranks and weirdos"? I'll be sure NOT to buy anymore of his books.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by scepticsRus

it would really help debunk some stuff...IMHO

How would what he says help you debunk stuff?
I thought facts debunked, not theoretical thinking did..

But it would be interesting if he signed up, perhaps a new CM?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by ian990003100
If you wish to send an email to Professor Hawking you may do so by mailing:
S.W.Hawking@damtp.cam.ac.uk

I just sent this email to him...

Hello, Mr Hawking.

Your recent comments about aliens have caused a stir on the Above Top Secret (ATS) forum. Many members are particularly upset that you chose to use the words 'cranks' and 'weirdos' to describe people who have witnessed extraterrestrial aliens. Note that ATS itself has no opinion on your comments, as the content is all member generated.

Please visit the following link and read the thread for yourself...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

As a member of ATS, I invite you to join the forum, should you wish to explain the reasoning behind your choice of words. I'm sure that your presence on the forum would be welcomed by all, including the three owners of ATS.

If you wish to register using your real name, then the owners would be more than happy to verify your identity. ATS is probably the number one conspiracy website on the internet. I think that you might be surprised with some of the topics and discussions that take place there, in a well moderated environment.

If you have the time and the desire to do so, then please help us understand your point of view on the topic of UFOs and indeed, your opinion on the fringe areas of theoretical research that interests you.

Thanks for your time to read my email.

I received an auto-reply that read like this...

Thank you for your email to Professor Hawking. As you can imagine, Prof. Hawking receives many such every day. He very much regrets that due to the severe limitations he works under, and the enormous number of requests he receives, he is unable to compose a reply to every message, and we do not have the resources to deal with many of the specific scientific enquiries and theories we receive.
Etc...

Hopefully, he may read the thread - who knows?

I doubt he will sign-up here, but it was worth a try. I know we would all be pleased to see him sign up here and contribute his opinion.

Maybe if everyone that reads this thread copied and pasted this letter and sent one of their own we would get a reply.

I'm doing it now.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
His knowledge isnt just theoretical though.... he would be an invaluble source for general physics questions .... lets face it ... who better to talk to about relativity time travel etc......

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
FYI, since I've spoken with him before, Steven has a staff that works for him at the University. There is a chance someone there will read this thread, if not Stephen himself.

-WFA

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

I wouldn't recommend flooding the professor's email box. There could be some undesirable consequences, especially if ATS becomes involved because it was first suggested here.

[edit on 2008/4/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by scepticsRus

sounds great but i for one would have to lurk and listen and learn

think we need some real brains here

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
reply to post by Alien Abduct

I wouldn't recommend flooding the professors email box. There could be some undesirable consequences, especially if ATS becomes involved because it was first suggested here.

I second...third...fourth...fith...and sixth that Idea. Please Do not flood his mailbox.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wow ... they are talking about the Prof on sky.com/news ..... i'm watching the interactive TV thingy and they have just gone over what hes supposed to have said ! .... no mention of ATS though !! ... shame !

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I don't see how this guy can just so bluntly say that there are no UFO's or Aliens visiting earth, with all of the sightings and so forth. Maybe he's on a payroll that we are no aware of.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

hi kleverone, i think hawking made a statement which im sure he regrets the words he used. the replies on ATS, i think, express the mentality recent members seem to be showing.. we have lost some great contributors due to this trend! to me Hawkins statement is irrelevant as it is only one man's statement, even though it comes from Mr H!

No dis - respect but it seems we have a new wave of members who are not interested in talking about important things, and yes I have ranted too, but only in recent months.....Why? Cos ATS is changing for the worst I think.

I would also like to know how some folk become moderators, as one or two of you dont understand moderation, reason or even intelligence, my god whats the story there. Do they do an IQ test! Present company accepted.

PLT

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join