It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shame on you Stephen Hawking

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
He might even be brainwashed himself, he doesnt seem to be all there upstairs anymore...

Maybe hes being paid to say so? I mean why would they print out a whole report on just a few things he said? Even if he is Hawkings why would they throw it everywhere in everybodies faces?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
He most certainly of ALL people should know that UFO's are seen by astronauts, air force personnel, commercial pilots, astronomers etc...

He also is not assuming that all or any of the UFO's are aliens. You are. He doesn't say in the quote, "no one but quacks see things unidentified." He says only quacks are saying aliens are appearing to or communicating with them. It may or may not be true, but you're assigning him a statement that he did not make. It's a strawman. And worse, you're worked up about it. Maybe if you look at what he actually said, you'll be less offended?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

"We don't appear to have been visited by aliens," Hawking said, adding that he discounts reports of UFOs. "Why would they only appear to cranks and weirdoes?"

Original Source
This is exactly what he did say, or what the article interpreted.
For an intelligent man, that is one giant leap of stupidity.

He also is not assuming that all or any of the UFO's are aliens. You are. He doesn't say in the quote, "no one but quacks see things unidentified." He says only quacks are saying aliens are appearing to or communicating with them. It may or may not be true, but you're assigning him a statement that he did not make. It's a strawman. And worse, you're worked up about it. Maybe if you look at what he actually said, you'll be less offended?

I'm not offended though, but i know alot of people will be cause of this statement of his.
And no where in this article, does he show any kind of differential between those who claim to have contact with aliens, or those who are ufologist or believers in this area.

However, i believe this to be part of an ongoing disinformation campaign due to the increase of sightings worldwide.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Balez

"We don't appear to have been visited by aliens," Hawking said, adding that he discounts reports of UFOs. "Why would they only appear to cranks and weirdoes?"

Original Source
This is exactly what he did say, or what the article interpreted.
For an intelligent man, that is one giant leap of stupidity.

I think he was probably asked about aliens and Close Encounters or flying saucers, ET, etc.. He answers, "we don't appear to have been visited by aliens...."
Couldn't the writer have added the UFO word, using it interchangibly with Flying Saucer, ET, etc. as it is commonly but incorrectly used?
I don't think he was asked "Do you discount reports of unidentified flying objects?" For one, even an disbeliever wouldn't disbelieve reports exist. Or state that only cranks and weirdoes have seen something unidentified. Notice he does not discount UFO's in the quoted statement. He only addresses aliens visiting us. The UFO word is added by the author. I'm not going to get into whether he's right or not about whether aliens are or are not visiting. I'm just saying that he didn't pan all witnesses to unidentified flying objects. Only the alien visitation witnesses. Maybe that's unfair too, but that's a more accurate
description of what he said. Atleast hang him on what he did say.

EDIT: After reading the article in its entirety (it's not very long; I suggest it), it is even more clear to me that he is addressing the issue of UFO's as alien craft from other worlds.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by _Del_]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

I think he was probably asked about aliens and Close Encounters or flying saucers, ET, etc.. He answers, "we don't appear to have been visited by aliens...."
Couldn't the writer have added the UFO word, using it interchangibly with Flying Saucer, ET, etc. as it is commonly but incorrectly used?

Yes many times it is incorrect usage of a word that cause the problem.

Hawking said, adding that he discounts reports of UFOs

This is the problem however, he discounts reports of ufo's, after he says that "we dont appear to have been visited by aliens", no matter what the ufo's are, whom they belong to, they are of no matter to him (ofcourse this is his viewpoint only of this, but as him being quite well known as a scientist it will have impact one way or another).

Alot of people will generalise this statement, however innocent it was supposed to be, they will take it as if there are ufo's they are alien, but as he himself do not believe we have been visited, those reports and sightings means nothing.
That will be the interpretation by many.

"Why would they only appear to cranks and weirdoes?"

Police, millitary, presidents, government officials, are now "cranks and weirdoes" as what the generalisation that will come of this statement.

I do understand what he mean, and the context of this statement, but many will not understand it, they will react to it in a bad way.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Hi solarstorm, strrd and flggd.
That is strange indeed.

Given the size of the universe, it is unlikely that Earth is the only planet to develop some sort of life, Hawking told an audience at George Washington University in Washington,

So he admits in a way that logical there must be live on other planets.

The probability of primitive life developing on a suitable planet may be extremely low, or it may be high,

So he doesn’t exclude the possibility that it good be high also. [this is nothing more then guessing in my opinion]

but aliens intelligent enough to beam signals into space may also be smart enough to build civilization-destroying weapons like nuclear bombs, he said.

Seems very logic, even to me.

More likely, he added, is that primitive life is likely to develop, but intelligent life as we know it is exceedingly rare.

How in heavens name good he know that for shore? [again, nothing more then guessing in my opinion]

In this case I find him a crank or weirdo himself, and it is really amazing that a man with such intelligence say illogical things like that.
I always, and still do, respected that man highly for his magnificent work, despite the very difficult physically circumstances where under he must do it.
But in this case it is very obvious to me that he knows “almost” everything of the Universe, but has know idea what is going on here on Earth.

[edit on 22/4/08 by spacevisitor]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   

"The discovery of the New World made a profound difference on the old. Just think, we wouldn't have had a Big Mac or KFC," Hawking said.

How can you say the man is not intelligent when he throws a pearl of wisdom like that at you?

What he has said is correct in one version of the truth, there is no evidence that alien life has visited us. We have speculation and theories without physical evidence (much like his own work). In all this time from the moment they have apparently visited us, they never once left a trace of evidence. In all the abduction cases, no one has grabbed a butt probe and ran for it. You have to admit that he has a point

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Sadly, he was probably also 'playing to his audience'. I'm sure it got a good old laugh there at George Washington University. People make fun of others to point out that they are the 'norm' in that respect. It would, however, be nice if they matured a little out of high school

Didn't Hawking also make some comment about how if aliens visited earth they would first talk to it's best scientists...? Now, why would they do that if there was clearly nothing to gain from such an interaction

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I am actually not surprised by this statement at all. It's perfectly in keeping with the overall personality traits of the scientific community. Unless something has proof, then it fails the test of reliability that science demands.

And while his "cranks and weirdos" statement is offensive, it's still only an opinion. He may consider everyone except scientist as cranks and weirdos. He is as entitled to his own opinion.

Perhaps we need to realize that in this age of specialization, few people know diddly about anything outside their own area of expertise. When the Hollywood bimbo talks about the economy, I don't hang my hat on it, even though she may be a fine actress. It's not a subject she has any qualifications for. (Usually.)

We here in the subculture of CT and all things odd and wrong, tend to be more the "renascence types", embracing knowledge from a wide variety of sources and schools of thought. This is not the norm. Most accountants can't repair a transmission or build a fence. Most heart surgeons can't program a computer, or hold forth on ancient civilizations. Most politicians can't... well, do anything.

I for one admire Mr. Hawking's work in his area of expertise. If he gives me advice on trailing wounded game, I nod, and then go look for a Native American guide familiar with the subject animal and the terrain.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mark Roazhar
What he has said is correct in one version of the truth, there is no evidence that alien life has visited us.

This is incorrect. There is evidence, just none that is sufficient enough for the mainstream.

Anyway, just because someone is extremely talented in something(in this case science), does not mean he's the Wizard in the magical forest with all the wisdom in the world.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hmmm, a rather pompous and ignorant comment by Stephen Hawkings!

Last person I would expect a comment like that to come from. Micio Kaku has a much better mindset on the subject, saying 'UFO's should be researched scientifically, and taken seriously' or something to that extent.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeeGee

What he has said is correct in one version of the truth, there is no evidence that alien life has visited us.

This is incorrect. There is evidence, just none that is sufficient enough for the mainstream.

Exactly, no evidence.

Look, you either have evidence or you dont have evidence. Its not a grey area. What you have are blurry photos and witness statements.
Other evidence like crop circles can be attriubuted to other sorces as no alien has ever been caught creating crop circles either
Would you be comfortable taking your best alien evidence and presenting it to a judge? ofcourse not!
Even when officials admit to points about UFOs, they never use the words aliens or ships, always UFO, which means they havent identified it.
Belief is not evidence

In summary, no evidence.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hmmm - So has Mr. Hawkins been hacked himself.. Did "THEY" get into his system and pre-program answers for him to seem to answer??
IS he really talking through the CPU or is he a front man for "THEM"

I know call me a crank or weirdo.. now let me go put on my aluminum helmet and hop on the short bus.. terrible I know but all in jest.... Brilliant mind he is.....

I can't really see a man soo Intelligent to make a bold statement as such knowing what info is out there...But then again I am a "must see it for myself" kind of person - Pics and vids are great but CGI can do some cool stuff too as we have seen...

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
i think alot of eager belivers live in their own world and only visit ufo websites.

there is a massive worlwide scientific community including hundreds of thoudsands of amatuer astrnomers who study the skies for hours on end evry week and report nothing. Not to mention the millions of commercial airline flights day & night who dont report a thing.

of course they all must be on the "secret gvt" payroll or disinfo agents...

i get the impression alot of people never question or challenge their own beliefs in alien visitation or just dont want to. Take a look at the new phoenix lights thread and you can see how eager some are to believe ANYTHING is of ET origin.

Theres not many critical thinkers in the field of ufology thats for sure.

i expect alot of those poeple to appear in future "darwin award" stories.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Exactly, no evidence.

You are confusing evidence with proof. Just like evolutionary theory has evidence to support it, but not proof(besides microevolution). We cannot prove that UFO's are piloted by aliens since we'd have to capture one, but there is evidence to suggest it.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
*magically changes history so that Hawking studies UFOLOGY and is a weekly guest on the Alex Jones*

Damn, I just turned him into a steaming pile of....
Doh!

Hawking is doing a much better job where he is. There is no absolute evidence that Aliens have visited Earth, so as it stands, they only visit cranks and weirdos - and hey, if you are a crank or a weirdo, embrace it! Humanity is a melthing pot and Hawking is much better served as a logician mathematician scientician

There is no reason to PROJECT YOUR BELIEFS upon him and JUDGE HIM BY IT.

Anyway, if you assume that he is using the least offensive connotation of those words, you'll find that he means:

Crank: somebody regarded as having unusual ideas and opinions

Weirdo: somebody who behaves in a way regarded as strange or unconventional

If the shoe fits, wear it. So why even get upset over it? I recall reading (maybe in another thread about this) that someone actually said that they will never listen to the man again. WTF? "Dang" is really all you can say.

Hawking has brass. He doesn't teeter on the fence like so many others - He takes a position and sticks with it even if it upsets the cranks and the weirdos - who for some reason aren't happy with themselves?

Mr. Hawking, I salute you!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
GeeGee did you just compare the theory of evolution with the theory alien visitation? WOW just WOW

evolution has thousands of facts to support the theory. ufology has people telling stories. Can you see the diffirence?

[edit on 22-4-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Exactly, no evidence.

You are confusing evidence with proof. Just like evolutionary theory has evidence to support it, but not proof(besides microevolution). We cannot prove that UFO's are piloted by aliens since we'd have to capture one, but there is evidence to suggest it.

What are you on about?
Im not on about evolution.

There is no evidence or proof to support alien life visiting Earth

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
there is a massive worlwide scientific community including hundreds of thoudsands of amatuer astrnomers who study the skies for hours on end evry week and report nothing. Not to mention the millions of commercial airline flights day & night who dont report a thing.

of course they all must be on the "secret gvt" payroll or disinfo agents..

There is a flaw in your reasoning. Hundreds of UFO sightings are reported every month, yet not even 1% of them get shown on television or reported on news stations. Does this mean they don't happen?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

There is a flaw in your reasoning. Hundreds of UFO sightings are reported every month, yet not even 1% of them get shown on television or reported on news stations. Does this mean they don't happen?

No it means that they've been identified or dismissed as hoaxes

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join