It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shame on you Stephen Hawking

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
What a load of crap.

"We don't appear to have been visited by aliens," Hawking said, adding that he discounts reports of UFOs. "Why would they only appear to cranks and weirdoes?"

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 21-4-2008 by solarstorm]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
No comments... I'll not take seriously this guy anymore...

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I am so ashamed of him.
I THOUGHT he was a smart guy, at least smarter that to say THAT.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
My blood is boiling about this, there's another thread however that I just posted in about this article...I don't know who made their's first but...

I feel like expressing my outrage in both lol...

Thanks for posting!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
It is sad he said this, as even a cursory glance at the stacks of UFO reports show a huge amount of them not coming from red-necks and drunks, but rather Pilots, Police and Military personnel.

Hardly cranks and weirdo's!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Well that in terms is hawking's claim and belief, we are all titled to our own so he is entitled to his just as well. I can look at pictures of UFOs and say Advanced Civilization made this, while hawking will say Government testing. Perhaps we should just STOP completely trying to keep predicting the likelihood of an advanced civilization or even just a primitive one and go about building devices that will allow us to perceive/look a lot closer into the universe for those signs.

Won't deny the guy is smart though.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think he simply made the common mistake amongst people not familiar with field in that UFO automatically means alien. He's right that there is no proof we've been visited by aliens. While the "cracks and weirdoes" comment may have been unnecessary, I think he just made a common mistake.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I think its safe to say he doesnt get out much, not to be mean, but seriously, he probably takes that position out of spite that he cant watch for UFO's or hasn't been abducted and fixed by them or something.

Otherwise, the man is brilliant.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I believe this is a perfect demonstration of how man can be so intelligent in one area of his life and so ignorant in another. He comments regarding cranks and weirdos only showcases his lack of knowledge on the subject. I would have expected more from Mr. Hawking. I guess this just goes to prove that book smarts and common sense are do not always go hand in hand. My 2 pennies

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I am not buying that one Xcalibur...

He most certainly of ALL people should know that UFO's are seen by astronauts, air force personnel, commercial pilots, astronomers etc...

There's no way I am buying that he can be that ignorant given the field he's in and the people he has access to and comes in contact with, what a load of hog wash.

Sorry I am getting heated hee hee not at you though, but at that outrageous statement, he was giving a SPEECH for pete sakes it was a totally calculated line.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
What a load of crap.

"We don't appear to have been visited by aliens," Hawking said, adding that he discounts reports of UFOs. "Why would they only appear to cranks and weirdoes?"

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 21-4-2008 by solarstorm]
Thanks for posting this my link on my post isnt working.I wonder what his quote will be once the truth comes out.I hope hes still alive once it happens.I think guys like him are so afraid.Once the truth is revealed those dudes will have to rethink everthing and finally admit that they dont know it all.You mean to tell me these guys can tell the size of a expanding universe(which I find that hard to swallow) and not except that there is intelligent life out there?

[edit on 21-4-2008 by Tricky63]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
For such a brilliant mind you would think it would be a little more open than this...

Truly sad, the individuals who choose to go through life denying everything that doesn't make sense to them.

If you really think about it.....Its quite impossible and strongly naive to believe that us APES are not sharing this universe with other "intelligent" (said extremely loosely) lifeforms.

As for the comment "cranks and weirdoes"

I was struck by this, and I cannot fully understand why a person like this would say such a thing.

For one, THE MAN IS IN A FRIGGEN MOTORIZED WHEELCHAIR!!!!

Second, he communicates using a computer that talks for him.

You would think a man such as this, with so many handicaps, wouldn't be labeling ANYONE!!

Boggles the mind!

Deeply ashamed Mr. Hawking....

Would have expected better from this great mind.....

Now I know he is just as brainwashed as the rest!

[edit on 21-4-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

[edit on 21-4-2008 by IMAdamnALIEN]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
I believe this is a perfect demonstration of how man can be so intelligent in one area of his life and so ignorant in another.

Exactly.

He may be intelligent, but he sure lacks wisdom to use a general claim, by labelling witnesses as cranks, etc.

It proves how dumb some intelligent people can be.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by tezzajw]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
fame and money can mess with someone's ego so much to the extend that he starts to think he is the most brilliant and smartest and even "stand" on the center of the universe

too often everything beyond the theories of a scientist will be dismissed and ridiculed by the "scientist" because it is not in line with "his ideas and opinion" and will touch his authority in his field, totally forgetting that new theories and breakthrough are often only achieved with open-minded out-of-the-box thinking

seems like we are now dealing with a once-brilliant guy, who will not bring much more new breakthrough for humanity...or as a good conspiracist would say, was it Hawking himself who made up all those claimed brilliant theories?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Well nobody's perfect. We hold high standards to our best and brightest, but often times geniuses lack basic common sense in areas not of their expertise. Had he devoted as much time to researching the UFO phenomenon as theoretical physics he no doubt would have a different outlook.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I gotta tell yah... its very difficult to hate a crippled man in a wheel chair that can't talk... but he makes it easy.

Thats a joke in poor taste, if anyone gets offended.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Sigh. I really like/liked Stephen Hawking. To pigeon hole millions of people who claim to have seen extraordinary aerial phenomenon as cranks and weirdos is seriously depressing. Guess he doesn't get outside much.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
real beliefs will surface no matter how one hides, whether it be behind scientific theories, religion, or philosophy. knowledge does not equal wisdom or even belief.

i almost feel violated. it's kinda like george lucas being on a late-night talk show and blabbing about how he loathes all star wars fans and their stupid immature socially-awkward lives [not not as important but would be as shocking]

you serious, hawking? cranks and weirdos? way to isolate and drown yourself away from the very people that nearly worship your intellect. maybe you do not want to be worshiped anymore...maybe you found a religion that takes away your mightiness and credits it to a god?

i sure hope it wasn't peer-pressure that made you condemn us. that's quite silly.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Violated. What a good analogy. His disease process may be making him bitter. I forgive him spot on. I personally don't understand the blazing cynicism. A person of his high intellect should know by sheer volume the amount of sightings we are not all straw chewing pumpkin seed spitting cranks. sigh.

[edit on 4/22/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I bet he researched the subject on youtube. Imo, that would explain the "cranks and weirdoes" comment. Lets face it, there's plenty of them around. However, to pigeon hole all-of-us that have experienced UFO sightings is just ignorant.
As for the rest, I largely agree with him...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join