It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sign of the Pit (can earth make another ocean floor?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Oceans forms are a Sign that anywhere at any time land can give in as in sink. The moon and sun have been tugging at the earth's lava lakes and the core, so who is to say that that has not created an imbalance within the earth to where some time a whole massive area of land could just give in and be sunken because of the lack of lava underneath to keep up that area?

What would the name of such an massive event be called if it doesnt yet have a name already because of being overlooked by man?

I'd like to call it an "Earth Descender".

Depending on where the earth sinks in it could also pull water in or maybe not even. If it occurs where mountians are they would surely flee.

The sunken area can be the size of a city, state, or even country if we just think of how wide an ocean's floor is. You can imagine what it would feel like for persons being dropped, no telling how fast, by the very land underneath their feet. That elevator descending feeling would be felt maybe, where in this case certain may live and certain near the edges may pass away. Persons surviving would have to go on living far below sea level (would that cause the bends?).

What do you all think? Could the earth, because of the gravitational pull of the sun and moon, try to make us another ocean floor somewhere where land livers have been carrying on life as they know it?

How exaclty were ocean floors formed by the way? I know for a fact there may be a difference since there are valcanos which have formed differently.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
As larva leaves the core to surface, what goes in it's place? If nothing, then an Earth Descender can occur, right? And no telling if the part that sinks becomes then molten, right? Will a lake of lava ever be exposed that will abstain from cooling if it's deep enough though left seeable from the skies or edge parts that have not sunken in?

[edit on 21-4-2008 by Mabus]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mabus

Earthquakes cause similar effects.They are called sink holes.Less than 20 miles west of my home is a place called Reelfoot lake.It is a huge sink hole cause by an earthquake on the New Madrid fault in 1811 and 1812.This series of quakes caused the Mississippi river to run backwards for several days.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I can imagine something close to this.

A magma chamber gets its lava flown back to the core for some reason(super volcano meteor strike to name a few posibillites) causing the ground above to collapse. I however think that something like this would be very rare compared to sinkholes caused by earthquakes.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Metamorphic rock can be formed by rock at the bottom of earths crust melting into the lava then reforming or somthing... im not sure though im no scientist haha, but what if less rock reformed than melted? then surely areas of land sinking surely could be possible.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mrimmense

Thats called a volcano

Such things are impossible to occur without catastrophic events, as mentioned earlier, a meteor strike for example.

The crust is massively thick (compared to humans I mean, on an earth scale, its thin). However, the supporting mantle is many times thicker. It is impossible for enough mantle to be displaced by normal means to allow for large regions to fall in that far. It is possible however, to have supporting caves, hollowed out regions, and the stress of an event to cause regional sink-holes on a large scale. However for it to be, say, even city-sized sink hole, special circumstances need to exist.

As for how ocean floors are formed... those plates on the ocean floor are somewhat newer (not in all regions) and thinner. Theres two directions for crust. Up or Down. The subduction zones, the ocean crust is slowly pushed under the continental crust, and turned back into magma. Elsewhere, crust is pushed upwards, forming new lands and mountain ranges. Ocean floors are simply a lower-area of Earth, not where sink holes have occurred to create said oceans..

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I wouldn't be too worried about this subject. As stated above, the lithosphere is THICK. If this were to occur, it would have to happen around convergent/divergent zones where 2 or more tectonic plates meet. Sure Earthquakes can make land sink but only to a degree. Plate tectonics are huge. Plus, Continental plates are 'lighter' and less dense than Oceanic ones so it 'floats' above it. I honestly can't imagine anything powerful enough to break apart both layers of continental and oceanic plates.

top topics

join