It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim call to adopt "Mecca time"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Muslim call to adopt "Mecca time"

news.bbc.co.uk

Muslim scientists and clerics have called for the adoption of Mecca time to replace GMT, arguing that the Saudi city is the true centre of the Earth.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I feel strangely adverse to consider anything about a city that I was not even allowed to enter, let alone changing world time.

Opinions?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

Opinion? Obviously a dumb idea. But, hey, ask the Archbishop of Cantebury. No doubt, he thinks it's a great idea, and another good way to appease the muslims.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It's good to see the Muslim world has it's fair share of headcases, just like the Christian world. In fact, can't we just put all the religious scholars of ALL faiths on an island somewhere and leave them to debate until they kill each other. That would sure save a lot of lives in the outside world

I wonder why these stories even get airtime. Maybe it's to get the slack-jawed dribbling masses all worked up at the "Muzlum terrrrrrists", trying to impose their crazy ways upon us all.
In the real world, it just aint gonna happen. No Sharia Law, no replacing GMT or any other silly ideas so why keep bombarding us with them?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
My question is... what's the point? What's wrong with the system we use now, and how would using Mecca change it for the better? All we'll get is confusion and cost, and nothing will change.

A daft suggestion.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

This reminds me of a Tom Clancy book where he was prattling on about GMT.
He said the only reason it's set at that time is because britain ruled the sea's and had a huge empire - and that because america now filled that role (debatable) then america should be in charge of the time.

It was silly when Clancy said it.

It's just as silly when this cleric says it.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Screw 'em. Make Milwaukee the prime meridian.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Screw 'em. Make Milwaukee the prime meridian.

As long as we don't have to drink the Beer! I'd rather drink my own wee which, let's be honest, wouldn't be so very different from drinking Miller Light (note proper spelling of the word you illiterate colonial)

Rool Britanya

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

That gets a star! lol

But seriously . . . the idea of Mecca time is pretty darn stupid, if you ask me.

Plus it reminds me of the Mexican slang for semen. Yech!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
What's the difference between this and following a Christian calendar starting at the birth of Jesus?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
You have to hand it to them don't you

They have a brilliant sense of humour

how many people can spell MINORITY ?

oh this is the best laugh i have had all day....

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I have to admit that I was a bit confused when I read the title of the thread.

I'm not sure how such a change would benefit the rest of the world.
If it works for Muslims to operate under Muslim time then I see no problem with them keeping time or placement of Mecca with it. And I also have to admit that the concept behind the "Muslim watch" confuses me.

The watch is said to rotate anti-clockwise and is supposed to help Muslims determine the direction of Mecca from any point on Earth. [color=786cd2]BBC News

Is it like a compass, or is it an actual time-piece? Reading that again, it sounds like both.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
What's the difference between this and following a Christian calendar starting at the birth of Jesus?

That would even things out; we'd have both a Mean Time and a Calendar based upon mythical humans who may or may have not existed. Sounds like a good call to me.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexi Humi

Holy crap that's funny! How about instead of praying 5 times a day, we all get down like that guy? This could transcend religion and turn into a movement for world peace.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I can just see Muslims around the world raging at their monitor screens at that picture. Hilarious.

But hey, if you don't have sex and booze, what else are you gonna do? Exactly, you get the # down!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The system in place works. There is no need to change it.
It would be costly and confusing and unnecessary.

But considering how the UN operates .. don't be surprised to see some
whackadoo decide to adopt this cause ... :shk:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by C.C.Benjamin

Oh dear me-this is from the country that lock women up for 3 days when menstruating,pour derision and scorn onto the idea of translating foreign works of literature,stage public executions for crimes such as witchcraft and blasphemy(plus lots more medeival,sociopathic,superstitous nonsense).
The day they take over GMT is the day they do something as equally unlikely like say......produce an astronaut.

[edit on 01/12/01 by karl 12]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Originally posted by Alexi Humi

Now that´s funny

new topics

top topics

join