It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Rationing Hitting US Stores?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Is not any food shortage in the US, the hype came after the Asia and China problems with rice.

America produces enough rice for th use of the American people, but the problem started in California where is a big group of immigrants from Asia and they are buying so much rice to send back to their families that they are creating a crisis in some major stores like Cosco and Sam's club.

BTW I apologize if this was already posted before me.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I think the main problem that the world is starting to see already is the large use of grain products to produce ethanol fuels. The amount of grain producers who have been convinced via the almighty dollar to send their grain to ethanol production is only going to get worse, and the extra land needed to produce grain for humans as well as cars is not there without tearing down more forest land.

[edit on 23/4/08 by Rayzor51]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
It's no secret food prices have gone up and will continue to do so. There are many factors causing this from failed crops due to disease to increased fuel costs and lets not forget increased demand. Just to put some perspective on this when I was stationed in Hawaii there was a rumor that there was going to be a toilet paper shortage so everybody went out and bought bunches of toilet paper. There was no shortage; there wasn't going to be a shortage until every one panicked.

I agree we should prepare and have a supply of staples on hand in case of emergency. I also believe that there are many ways to save money on food costs.

I'm planting veggies and herbs and have in fact converted most of my front and side yard to garden space. Companion planting works wonders and if you mix flowers into the veggies the space is not only productive but pretty thereby feeding not only your tummy but your soul. I also intend to buy a side of beef and a side of pork to put in my freezer. The local farm outlet sells 10 pound bags of asparagus for 7.50 each. Freezing two gives me lots of cheap veggies for the winter. The only thing "wrong" with it is it's not the perfect size for the grocery stores. Tastes just fine however. If you have excess tomatoes dehydrate them for use in soups and sauces or you can also use them in sandwiches. Herbs are really easy to grow and preserve. I also plan on canning fruits and making pickles, jams and relishes; all of which can make a meal taste great; even beans.
I'm trading fresh veggies and herbs with my friend for fresh eggs. She lives too high on the mountain to have a good growing season but I'm in the valley so it works for both of us. If you look around you can find ways to help lessen the price crunch.

If you decide to buy meat by the side consider buying from a 4-Her or FFA student it may cost more per pound but the animal has been taken care of and is always healthy. Meat purchased in this fashion averages about 2.50 a pound in this area. Pretty darn cheap. If you can't afford to buy a side of beef or pork on your own consider buying with a friend and splitting the meat. A quarter will last a long time.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There is a new Reuters link on Drudgereport

Food costs have soared worldwide, spurred by increased demand in emerging markets like China and India; competition with biofuels; high oil prices and market speculation.

www.reuters.com...

As more of this news hits mainstream you know there will be the usual panic, speculation, and price increases whether or not an actual shortage exists. Personally, I do not think and American shortage exists as of yet but with worldwide problems, one never will know.

BTW this same trend happened with oil. At this point, some Iranian guy just has to fart and oil prices increase. I wonder if the same will happen to food.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

The hype was caused by the speculators the same people that are causing the oil prices to soar when in the US gas usage has gone down.

Now they are after the rice shortage trying to get the prices higher, but US have more than enough rice production.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
8 pages of fluff addressing 'shortages'.......................................

Rice or other food staples are not in short supply

they are in adequate abundance --- the 'problem' with their skyrocketing
cost is (gasp)... the devalued Dollar ! there is no scarcity of rice..or wheat

but... there may well be less acreage devoted to comsumption corn versus Ethanol corn,
but that isn't causing all this extreme reaction that is being CT'ed into some dire intrinstic basic food shortage---requiring rationing !

ya'll are being played by ....(whomever)

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Your probably on the right track here Marg.

Increase the value of the commodity..Growers, and brokers make a ton of Money. Do you know what state produces the most Rice in the US?
Arkansas..yep. home of the Clintonista's, and of Mike Huckabee..hmm..

I don't know if any of you noticed this, but lat last week Drudge featured an article singing the praises of the potato.

"Starch wars?"

The big different between Rice and potatoes from a trade standpoint, is that Potatoes are not considered a commodity. They're difficult to transport, and often rot during shipping.

Potatoes are much easier to grow as a garden plant. There are 5000 types, and can be harvested at any point during development.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Is called the specualtors the undeground Markets mafia.

reply to post by spacedoubt

Yes and California also, I just learned that US produces the fanciest and finest rice, I wonder why our markets are full of Chinese, Japanese and korean rice, I forgot also India.

But yes the fanciest and tastiest rice in the world is produced by US growers.

I am big rice consumer as my background is spanish, but we do not consume long rice that is the one in shortage but the medium and short grain.

Harder to fine here in the states.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by marg6043]

[edit on 23-4-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by wutone

The hype was caused by the speculators the same people that are causing the oil prices to soar when in the US gas usage has gone down.

Now they are after the rice shortage trying to get the prices higher, but US have more than enough rice production.

I wouldn't be surprised if the speculators that drove up oil are the exact same ones that are trying to drive up food.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Yes they are after the commodities and the alternative fuel options, but this was predicted by many in the markets, the same way that the housing bubble was created so the next bubble will be in the alternative fuel sector.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i seen on the news last night that at a store in my area they are rationing rice, one bag per week, Its because of a rice shortage, and its only one store.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
There are a lot of folks with alternative energy designs holding them off the market to see how high it will go. As soon as a workable design is released OPEC won't be able to give the remains of their toxic oil away.

Its a waiting game, unless of course one of these designers gets pissed off and does a free give away, in that case everyone connected with oil is screwed and loses their money.

When oil was our friend we looked the other way on smog and the toxic effects. Now that it is a burden, its just a matter of time.......

Electric tractors....Organic fertilizer.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by Illahee]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I haven't noticed any rationing at our local markets but have noticed higher prices on some items I normally buy. The big thing that our town has noticed is the empty shelves that seem to be a regular thing as of late. There are three grocery stores in my town and two of them have been having trouble keeping the shelves stocked with merchandise. The third is of course Wal-Mart and their shelves are always stocked. I refuse to give Wal-mart my business after what they did to this town by coming here.The manager at the store I do shop at came under fire from the townfolk saying he wasn't doing his job. Later we found out from him and the owner of the other market that they are doing their jobs they are just having trouble getting the stock from the suppliers. If I remember to take my camera with me I'll snap some photos of the bare shelves next time I go. It's usually the same items that run out. Things like pasta,flour,cooking oils,canned veggies. The only thing they seem to never have a problem of getting is meat and produce and that's because it's from local farms.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
CONFIRMED:

Wal-Mart unit limits rice purchases

Top retailer Wal-Mart's Sam's Club unit said Wednesday it is limiting the amount of rice individual shoppers could buy at one time, as rice prices hit new records around the world.

Sam's Club said it had temporarily placed limits of four 20-pound (nine-kilogram) bags a person for jasmine, basmati, and other long-grain white rice types.

More...

See also, Rice in short supply at Costco, Sam's Club

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

You have to understand that people are the ones making the shortage at the retail stores, but the rice is plenty in our nation.

This mass hysteria is cause by people not the growers.

American only consume about 10 percent of the rice grown in the US, but Asia, Chinese, Korean etc are targeting the big bulk store to buy in quantities to send back home where consumption is about 150 percent.

Then the media is helping boost the prices with the hype of shortage.

This is how prices get higher when is actually no need for it.

Now commodities are been hit in the markets, another bubble in the making out of people's fear of shortages.

Deceiving actually.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yesterday, The Minister for Agriculture in Brazil, Reinhold Stephanes, has temporarily halted rice exports from Brazil.

Source: g1.globo.com...
It's in portuguese, but I believe anyone can find this news in english anytime.

So, I guess the matter IS global.

Peace

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sator

Any country that imports rice will be waiting for the prices to skyrocket before exporting.

All this shortage hype will increase the domestic prices and still the countries that are having problems with their food due to their consumption will not be able to afford imported goods, this is what the problem has been all alone, they can not afford the prices.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

As much as I'm not a fan of these neocon channels, here's a wake up call to America through CNN.

youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
One of these has a map showing India and China being affected......

They are close but each a little different. The lowest food stocks in 30 years.

youtube.com...

youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Next will be videos of Americans with mosquitos flying all around their heads and their bellys extended...and a foundation for FEED AMERICA will be in place.

Give me a break. This is happening here, to us, because we are going downhill so rapidly, the oil, unemployment, homelesness, etc, that we (the government and the media) speaks about it in GLOBAL TERMS. BS.

This isnt global- this is our baby, our chaos, and we need to make it seem like its all over the world!!!

Shoot! Ask a Japanese if they're short on rice- They dont want to export because we are going to be cut off of everything very very soon.

That's what happens when the world shuts you off. Other countries have always had their problems while we prospered and managed to remain intact, this bozo is here to completely rip apart the American way, all friends, and resources.

I want a brown horse.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join