It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Rationing Hitting US Stores?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I work in a grocery store (In Canada) , no one seems to really complain about the prices too much, though we do set limits on our specials, though there is one think that irks me, sometimes we get those independent inconvenience store owners who come in and buy all the specials.

Whats gonna happen when theres rationing going on here?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It makes you wonder how much of this is actual truth. How much is really happening, and how much of it is a set up?

I find it interesting that we are being hit from so many angles used to produce fear in the public. I wonder if we are really experiencing a psychological warfare rather than the real thing. Is it possible that at least on some level the powers that be - behind the scenes are trying to seduce us into panic so we turn our will and lives over to them, so as to become more dependent? To lose our clearheadedness?

The possible food shortage could be real, or could it be emotional manipulation?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A little off topic maybe,but our local food banks (at least in my area of Washington State) have started to ration how much bread they give you.

Normally in the past there were racks and racks of bread and you could help yourself to almost as much bread as you can carry.Now there is a 'two loaf' maximum on how much bread you can get.

They actually enforce this rule.I saw one of the workers almost yell from behind her desk 'only two loaves of bread please'.

Now I don't know if this is because there is a bigger demand for bread by the populace or if in fact the food banks are getting less amounts of bread.I will ask someone next time I go there.

Hey,I'm poor,I have to do what I can do to survive.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Wow city people relax hahahaha. Wow wow wow we make our farmers like my Grandfather not plant on his land. Why CAUSE WE WOULD HAVE TO MUCH FOOD. You people on here crack me up anything to bring down your way of life. First it's the war, then global warming then it's a house crisis.(thanks for that one though I just bought a foreclosed house dirt cheap.) Now it's a food shortage, next is oil prices. Then it will be Peak oil, then Iran will almost get nukes, then the scary scary year of 2012 ohh no.I would guess after that a water shortage ohh no I have a well so screw all of you on that one too. One thing is for certain though I will not be stocking up on shiat. You guys go ahead with out me on all that I will just keep on doing my thing and why you stock pile I will be going to the restraunt down the street and getting them to fix me a meal that we are aparently short on. Good luck yall on the super scary future.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This really happened, I swear, and it connects the Chinese aggression thread and the food shortage thread. A few years ago I was working at a now-defunct grocery store. Nearby we had a Chinese buffet. We had been recently running a special on dozen eggs (99 cents I believe!!!) and had imposed a limit. This Chinese buffet employed some actual recent immigrants from China, several petite and cute young Chinese women complete with inpenetrable Chinese accents. One of them came to me and just pounded a baskart with many packages of these dozen eggs and attempted to take them to the register for purchase. Of course I had to attempt to gently turn her away as she was obviously buying them for the business and we weren't in business to let cartfulls of loss leaders go to other businesses. Undeterred, she took the cartfull to checkout and tried to buy them! Thus it took two attempts to dissuade this little Chinese woman from hauling away all of our eggs.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioguy646

I have to agree.

It's the same speculation that has caused ever "crisis" in the past couple years.

Even if I couldn't get bread at the supermarket, I have tons of local markets that bake fresh bread, get fresh produce locally, and the same for meat and fish. it's actually a good tme to support local business and starve out the price gougers. All of this "crisis" crap is just that. It's all BS.

The world is not coming to an end, and it is indeed true that here in america, there is too much food rottin in silos and warehouses, while people allow themselves to be fooled by price gougers that we are running out of food. Whatever!

Besides, the supermarkets can keep their junk. I prefer getting all my food from local businesses who don't seem to be suffering from any crisis themselves.

This is indeed the same thing as the "credit crunch", "peak oil", and all the other latest scams. you are totally spot on.

Oh! And to the mod who edited my post that was "too short" and "off topic", I beg to differ. That post summed up the whole situation you are seeing now that has caused this mass stampede at the supermarket when there is indeed no shortage of anything.

I can't help that my ability to sum up situations easily result in short posts, or are construed by non-abstract thinkers as "off topic".

Just to clear that up...

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bootyac

No need to apologize, there are alot of people in the same situation or worse. Thankfully you're smart enough and resourceful enough to look out for yourself and your loved ones. That's what survivalism is all about.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
There is some truth to the psychology of the problem...

Look what the WSJ recently printed:

Load Up the Pantry

"Load up the pantry," says Manu Daftary, one of Wall Street's top investors and the manager of the Quaker Strategic Growth mutual fund. "I think prices are going higher. People are too complacent. They think it isn't going to happen here. But I don't know how the food companies can absorb higher costs."

[edit on 23-4-2008 by loam]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
For those guys like critical mass and ohioguy, keep feeling smug and superior. You'll have plenty of company at the government relocation camps.

They'll feed you, house you, and provide you with plenty of manual labor to help you earn your keep. That is, if you're able-bodied enough to be of any use to them.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'm seriously thinking of stocking up on supermarket items, if not against the apocalypse then against simple increases in food costs. What kinds of things should I put away? I'm not big on rice and I have 20 pounds of that anyway. I'm thinking maybe of things that are calorie-dense yet inexpensive like dry beans and ramen noodles. Any recommendations?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by WhamBamTYM

instant, easy prep stuff, just add water maybe some butter and heat type of things... pancake mixes, stove top stuffing, rice mixes, noodle mixes, canned meats/fish, soups, spaghetti, beans, fruit, vegetables. Also the basics.. salt, sugar, spices, oils. You can make a myriad of dishes with those pantry staples, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

As for those who don't prepare, do I need to remind you that our government recommends that you try to have at least 2 week supply of goods. This isn't paranoia, this is realistic measures that should be taken by everyone regardless of where you live.

If you're financially challenged... take a honest look at your situation, cut out the extras... internet, hbo, phone features, excessive nail and hair appts... stick to free entertainment... and you'll have a few extra dollars to spend everytime you do your usual shopping. Ramen Noodles is one of the cheapest thing to stockpile as well as water for now...as long as you have the containers.

btw BJ's wholesale club is well stocked, but things are getting pricey

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It was delivery day last night at the local Safeway. Nothing much was on the shelf for Rice and Beans in the larger packages. I took down a couple hundred # first thing before anyone got there at sevral stores. Left about half on the shelf for some other early bird. Base stock is in and now its price shopping time.

There are a couple hundred people lined up in seattle this morning to get rice. Just in case a truck does come in.

I think people better wake up. When the rice eaters can't get it they will turn to beans and the others. Article from a month ago said we had 30-60 days before things start running out. Raising the prices sky high will not make them appear on the shelves.

Don't forget this was from the last year harvest. Prices this fall are going to starve the middle class, but strict armed guard rationing should be in place by then.

Best of luck.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhamBamTYM
I'm seriously thinking of stocking up on supermarket items, if not against the apocalypse then against simple increases in food costs. What kinds of things should I put away?

Stock up on items that you and your family will actually eat. Buying several hundred pounds of wheat or other grains that you don't know how to process or use is pointless. A big change in diet can cause nausea, diarrhea, and other types of abdominal distress.

Rice, beans, canned meats, canned vegetables, canned fruits, powdered milk, honey, peanut butter, crackers, canned juices, jerky, fats & oils, etc. You can buy these items fairly cheaply at most dollar stores and discount grocers. I wouldn't wait too long however to do so.

They key is to buy items that are simple to prepare, are dense in caloric value, and use a minimum of water and fuel to prepare. Don't forget to store some water ans a can opener as well. Check out the survival forum if you want more detailed information.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thanks for mentioning the spices. Without them a diet would be pretty bland. I bought a bunch of the bottled spices when they were on sale a few months ago for .33 cent a piece. I also have several of the multiple spice shakers that they sell at Wal Mart for about $5 each. They're great for camping and can be refilled!

A little spice can make even the most unappetizing foods palatable. hot sauce or tobasco sauce is another good idea to liven up an otherwise unappealing meal.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It's not that there's a lack of food ... quite the contrary ... most supermarkets are groaning under the weight of food and of a range and quality our Grandparents couldn't possibly imagine.

To that extent there's no rationing. Of any kind whatever.

But there are huge and inexplicable recent price rises. Not on the non-essentials, heck if you love chocolate or candies you've never had it so good. The price rises are all on the very basics. Top of my head I'd reckon a loaf of bread or a bag of pasta now costs twice the amount it did last year. And it's no less expensive making your own ... buy all the ingredients you need and it's way more expensive than buying shop made ... although your own home made is always more palatable.

I have yet to read a satisfactory explanation for the cost rises ... haven't read of any major crop failures ... can't imagine the Chinese & Indian populations have suddenly and overnight adopted a Western diet and have newly developed midnight cravings for cannelloni or french baguettes. The price of truckers fuel has gone up, sure, to a scandalous high ... but offset that against one bag of pasta in a 48 tonne truck and any increase in the cost of fuel can be measured in ha'pennies.

Something else is happening here. Don't know what. Either inflation is roaring ahead and they're cooking the books in the Central Banks or the purchasing power of our currencies is sinking like a stone.

Either way, I demand a pay rise.

And am on strike tomorrow, funnily enough, as are many other workers in the British public service. My employers have offered me a grand total of 0% increase for this financial year. 0%. Their generosity is just too overwhelming for words.

Here we are a week before payday and I've got £20 in the bank. By the weekend I'm into my overdraft for the first time in 3 years. No especially large or unexpected bills this month either. Haven't been living the high life, heavens my presence here testifies to that haha.

Anyhows. Mustn't grumble. Really mustn't. Our Grandparents really did have it way worse than we ever have. Although I suspect we're about to taste real poverty in the months ahead.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
People bring up about buying rice in bulk. I had done this awhile back with brown rice. It wasn't too long before I noticed moths flying around my apartment. I believe I have read that white rice usually doesn't have this problem? I now keep my brown rice in the freezer.

I've debated buying a better water filtering sytem rather than bottled water but typically buy distilled by the gallon at walmart. Won't these heavier and bulkier items most likely go up faster? And how long before they stop shipping gallons of bottled water also?

It would seem that we're in for some pretty bad times at some point, especially, if we have fuel shortages due to a middle east war and blockade in the near future. Imagine if then we have our worst huricane season then also. People who hoard food and then have to stay home and protect it? The nightmare scenerio just gets worse.

Rationing and changing buying habits makes sense for now. Martial law may not be that far off. I now buy food items closer to home at local stores but have seen some high prices such as bananas at $.69 lb.

Out of curiosity, don't retailers just raise the price of everything at a percentage? How long before they just tack on a shipping surcharge tax at the register instead, based on weight, bulk etc.?

[edit on 23-4-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Charity

Your right, something is happening and this is it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

And until there is transparency as to just who is doing this and accountability, such as regulation, it is only going to get worse.

The Capitalist system, in a completely unfettered form, has become parasitic - an elite few are feeding off of the buying habits of the rest of us in order to line their already bulging pockets.

[edit on 23/4/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
After reading the posts on this string and thinking about all the different perspectives people have on this subject, I would like to give you the perspective of a long time food merchant and preparedness proponent (that would be me
)...

There are world wide reasons for the shortages and price increases; wheat rust destroyed the wheat in some parts South Africa and spread wheat rust via a cyclone off of Oman to the middle east. It spread to Pakistan and is traveling to India. The wheat rust is virulent and most strains of wheat grown world wide are susceptible.

There has been a major shortfall of rice due to pestilence in Viet Nam and Thailand (Basmati, Jasmine and several other rices come from these areas). What rice we have already in the USA (or grow in the USA) is all we will have until their problems are resolved.These countries are not exporting so that they can feed thier own and keep up their reserves. Australia has had a severe drought- they aren't even trying to grow rice or much else for that matter...

Corn is being used as biofuel instead of food. This impacts not only corn products but also beef, chicken, goat which are fed corn. Anyone seen the price of milk or eggs recently?

These are real problems, not ploys to drum up panic. They are not isolated incidents, the USA isn't immune... as a food merchant I have a back stage view of the industry and it isn't good.

It is much better to be prudent and put by a supply of your most used food items so that you can weather whatever is ahead, whether it is an inconvenience or a crisis. Store what you eat, eat what you store, and preserve your long term food investment in a moisture proof, oxygen free environment. It is easy to do and I will be glad to tell you how, if that is permissible on this forum. I am new to the forum and don't know all the ins and outs yet.

Is anyone interested in knowing how to keep their food bug free and good for years ? If so maybe I can post the info somewhere so everyone can have it.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by elle.mentl

Is anyone interested in knowing how to keep their food bug free and good for years ? If so maybe I can post the info somewhere so everyone can have it.
I'm sure a post about storage procedures for food would go over well in the survival forum.

They're always looking for good, informative post there. By the way, Welcome.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Here is today's story from a Southern California newspaper about the lack of availability of matzo crackers. Matzo crackers come in two types, kosher, and "kosher for passover". It's not clear from the article, however, which type is in shortest supply, or if both types are equally affected:

www.dailynews.com...

Matzo crackers, like most crackers, have wheat as their primary ingredient. So maybe the greatly increased cost of wheat is driving this shortage, or maybe not. Let me see what further info I can find on availability of these crackers when I'm shopping later today.

PS on storing any whole grains, or whole grain flour: These are a rich source of nutrients for us humans, so bugs love them too. If you have bought a new type of whole grain and are uncertain whether any live bugs or eggs are in the grain, place the bag in your freezer overnight. That will kill off any bugs. Then store the grain in an air-tight container, preferably in a cool location away from light.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join