It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Rationing Hitting US Stores?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hammerhead

I have to say that i agree with you on the concept that our goverment should take care of the hungry and starving people in it's own country before sending aid elsewhere. Don't get me wrong anybody, i am NOT saying that i don't care about starving people around the world, just that we should take care of our own first.I don't think that there is a person out there that would feed someone elses starving child before feeding thier own, our goverment should take the same stance. Sorry for going off topic, just wanted to reply to hammerhead's statement.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I am going to the grocery store later, I will let you all know if the crisis has decimated the supply of my local "Albertsons" chain store.

I just rode across town on my crotch rocket(not worried about gas prices), and saw at least 30 cop cars, they are looking for someone. Other than that a pretty normal Tuesday.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

off topic but the flyers better win tonight.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 22-4-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by erniemink1

lol food is food is food ? Excuse me but food just happens to be a main ingredient for our survival. Live and let go? How long do you think that you could live without food? I think you're misunderstanding what you are reading, i'm not sensing fear here what i'm sensing is people trying to be aware of what is going on with something that is neccessary for thier survival. We have to care about the cost of food rising so high that the ordinary, everyday man won't be able to afford to buy it. I mean sure we can grow some of our own, but lets face it there are those of us that live in places like the midwest with harsh winters and limited growing time. Even those that live in good growing climates can't grow everything that is needed. Do you suggest that we sit back and wait until there is no food to buy, or food so expensive that only the rich can afford to eat before we start worrying about it? Don't you think that that would be too little too late? Excuse me if i sound like a conspiracy theorist with this one, but what better way to start rationing food without making it so easy to notice than to raise the prices so high that people start rationing what they buy on thier own due to finances? We have to worry about, and care about it as it pertains to our survival. How can you not worry about what you and your family need to survive?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by thelibra

Please tell us how you really feel dont hold back
Yeah you will get these type once in awhile in here and you summed it up well its these same people begging for help when the #e hits the fan. Live in southern Florida but I am moving to Iowa getting a house with lots of land in the middle of no where and buting guns and a ton of food...This may be a once in a lifetime event but I will never be on the wrong side again....

Its funny because I used to give my grandman crap once in awhile because she used to keep everything she had crap all over the place but she also was in the great depression. Even though she was very young she still remembers it and now I kinda wish I listened.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I own a natural food store in NC. I recently made and order out for the basics: organic wheat berries, rice, oats, etc. from the time I made out the order to the time I actually got it ordered (a couple of weeks) the cost of the items I ordered had increased by 67%. This is wholesale (not Sam's wholesale pricing but retailer's wholesale pricing). It is a normal operating procedure for stores to trickle out a cost increase so that customers aren't shocked and upset but large jumps merchandise cost. Unfortunately, a 67% increase isn't "trickled out" very easily and I can't stay in business if I try to bite the extra costs for long.

Whether or not the stores are showing a cost increase at the moment, be assured that retailers are painfully aware that costs have skyrocketed and there is no end in sight.

As far as rationing goes... It isn't government rationing your seeing at the moment. It is the retailer trying to make sure they don't sell out everything they can get at the present price since many people are going in to stock up, but the merchant is holding some back so they can continue to try and "trickle out" the cost they have been hiding. Merchants have to think about keeping the doors open...the price increases are going to kill smaller businesses leaving the people to the whims of the Big Box stores that can power buy and control the market.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
No rationing going on along the front range in Colorado, rice is still abundance on the shelves, however there is more water for sale as of lately than before, not only at the water section, but can also be found at just about ever isle end. But will keep a closer eye.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Oh GOD you summed it up beautifully...I own a retail store who's prices to me have skyrocketed and Ive been trying to eat a lot of it myself so it is still somewhat affordable to people so I can stay in business....but its killing me. Good post.

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 22-4-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

One more thought about any "Staple Watch" thread that you might be starting. It should also keep tabs on what the regulators (national governments, etc.) are doing to rein in the commodity speculators, or not. For example, here is a story from a few days ago about a U.S. government commission that is finally starting to discourage speculation in commodity prices:

deltafarmpress.com...

Financial journals such as The Economist sometimes also include "for free" articles on their websites on these topics.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I'm in, i'd have no problem taking a walk to the local grocery store once a week to keep an eye on the prices of basic staples. I see that LLoyd45 is up for it too (sorry i think i may have mispelled your name, LLoyd? but i'm new here and didn't know how to go back and check the spelling and still keep on this page.) He's right though we need to make a list and pick a day to check prices and post them. We also need a couple more people to participate. Maybe while we're trying to set this up we should u2u each other so we don't have to scroll through endless pages of posts. By the way im in Chicago. So if you guys are serious about this feel free to u2u me about it. By the way can somebody tell me how you know when somebody has sent you a u2u ?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
We are not doing this to those people.
I believe that I can even make a strong argument that, normal changes in the world economy is not doing this.

Here is my argument:
In a free market the price of food suddenly becomes equated with a higher price of fuel, since it now is cost effective to convert the food to fuel and generate the higher profit.
The people cannot afford to by the food. The food begins to gather and the price comes down. A free market is self regulating.

My point is that this is no longer a free market, no longer self regulating.
Someone is orchestrating this. There will be lots of food in warehouses, while the people of the world starve. All it takes is money, or the ability to will money into existence on a global scale. As long as it is all on paper, you can cut off the supply of any commodity, by pricing it out of reach.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
i'm in. i live in Dallas, TX. let me know how and when we are going to post prices and i'll add from here. great topic...interesting thoughts. good job!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Listen, I'm sorry if I came across like I couldn't care less about anybody else in this world, but I'm just tired of people blaming the U.S. for all of the worlds problems. Yes, I feel bad that the world is as messed up as it is and I know if all the major powers united, we could end starvation, famine, disease and poverty...btw which has been happening long before we became a superpower. But you know what, I'm a realest. It's not going to happen any time soon unless something major happens to make it all change. Trust me, I'd prefer our troops be in Africa making sure the food We Do Send gets to the people who need it instead of fighting for oil which is leading us nowhere. So, right now I have to worry about feeding and taking care of my own family and our families here so we don't wind up like that.
Sorry for the Off-Topic rant.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by hammerhead]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I saw in the local paper that this is also being noticed by the maid err main media.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I am going to buy all of the prunes on earth, this way I can skyrocket the price and prey on the rich, old and constipated to ensure I don't have any problems getting other food.

If I can't eat, then they can't ****.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 22-4-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
If we all panic and go out and buy up food all at once, that will insure the panic and insure a "food run". We don't want to do that.

Stay in your homes, go back to sleep, and don't worry. Be happy!

Meanwhile, I have some shopping to do.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by conxposer]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I am in the Memphis area. I would be happy to report prices here. I can already tell you they have gone up. Just cheese by itself has jumped from $6 to $9.

Let me know about that post/thread.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I heard about this on CNBC this morning, it seems that Costco is limiting how much rice and flour you can buy per customer. Costco said it wasn't because of an actual shortage but because people were starting to hoard and buy insane amounts of them which caused a shortage. I can only guess people started hoarding because of reports about inflation and shortages...it maybe a good idea in the long run, but as it stands right now the U.S. doesn't have a true shortage, but rather one created by hoarding.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
One CASCO has a guy complain about no bags of rice and you deduce food rationing?

Holy Cow.

Maybe theye are out of rice and are waiting to restock the shelf?

Or maybe you are reaching.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit

Oh GOD you summed it up beautifully...I own a retail store who's prices to me have skyrocketed and Ive been trying to eat a lot of it myself so it is still somewhat affordable to people so I can stay in business....but its killing me. Good post.

Same with my restaurant. Prices keep going up
& I'm taking the loss on most of it, but I'll have to raise my prices again soon. I just don't know how much people will be willing to pay for a meal.

[edit on 22-4-2008 by corusso]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join