It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists think a bigger mid-west quake is possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Scientists think a bigger mid-west quake is possible

www.livescience.com

By Robin Lloyd, LiveScience Senior Editor

posted: 18 April 2008 ET

The magnitude 5.2 earthquake that rocked the Midwest on Friday was felt from Kansas to Georgia, and aftershocks could continue for months at this strange seismic zone at the nation's center and even trigger another big quake, a geophysicist said.

The quake occurred on a northern extension of the New Madrid fault, about 6 miles north of Mt. Carmel, Ill. The New Madrid fault was responsible for devastating quakes in the Mississippi Valley in 1811 and 1812. So the Friday quake and its aftershocks likely are raising the blood pressure of some residents and scientists.

For decades, scientists have debated whether and when the underlying fault could generate another temblor of similar and deadly strength.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-4-2008 by grover]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I started to post this earlier but whoever has WIFI on my block turns their modem off when they are done...DAMNIT. So there went my connection. Oh Well.

Anyway... I first learned about the New Madrid fault line in my teens from a Ripley's Believe it or Not and it has always interested me. Recently on, I think Discovery (or History) they did a series on disasters and they featured the New Madrid quake zone and and what might happen to the area (and its cities) if they had another quake in the region the size of the 1811/12 episodes and it was not pretty.

Simply put a 8 point or above quake on the New madrid fault line would be a major disaster for this country.

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Recently on, I think Discovery (or History) they did a series on disasters and they featured the New Madrid quake zone and and what might happen to the area (and its cities) if they had another quake in the region the size of the 1811/12 episodes and it was not pretty.

I think that was an episode of Mega Disasters on the History Channel. I think it is called "Earthquake in the Heartland" and they have it on every once in a while. During 1811/1812 event there were several major quakes and tremors for months. One thing I found strange were the sand blows that shot hundreds of feet into the air. Pretty wild.

Here is a wikipedia article, New Madrid earthquake

Let's hope these recent quakes are not leading up to another one like this.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Yeah!!! Thats the one.... really interesting if only because, no one ever equates the center of the country with earthquakes and because of that the results of a big one, 7 or 8 on the scale would have enormous consequences that would be felt throughout the country. Far more than California, I would think.

new topics

top topics

join