It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

March of Italy's 'BNP': Surely it couldn't happen here...could it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

For Mr Bitonci is a member of the Lega Nord, or Northern League, the far-Right political party originally set up to campaign for the secession of northern Italy from the rest of the country.

So Mr Bitonci's aim, quite simply, appears to be to prevent any immigrants from settling there.

Unsurprisingly his diktat created a stir across Italy with Left-leaning politicians accusing him of racism and of violating human rights.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Daily Mail - Italian Elections

I tend not to read the Daily Mail because I fear being turned into a ultra paranoid anti-EU social conservative, but this story is quite interesting and is much related to what could happen in the London Assembly.

BNP are expected to gain at least two seats due to the decline of the UKIP vote/split.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I expect BNP to have a small gain in the local elections as voters continue to rail against labours supposed "open door" policy on immigration.

I really can't see them getting anywhere in a general election, but the locals are a different matter as it's where people generally voice their disapproval.

I don't think the BNP could ever gain more than a small foothold in UK politics - but of course I could be completely wrong.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
I don't think the BNP could ever gain more than a small foothold in UK politics - but of course I could be completely wrong.

You're probably right, but any gain for them is a loss for decency. We don't want pseudo-Nazis in power in our country - we fought a war to keep them off our shores, thank you.

As for Lega Nord, I doubt they'll go far for two reasons:

1) The Italian political system makes it extremely difficult (almost impossible) for anyone to gain a majority... and the reason the system operates like this is to prevent precisely the kind of groups that Lega Nord is a part of (extremist groups... fascists or communists) from gaining power.

2) Italians have already had first-hand experience of fascism. It's not one they're likely to want to repeat.

It's sad that people are voting for parties like this, however. Mainstream parties need to stop being afraid of talking about immigration, because clearly people want to discuss it. If it's done in a sensible, rational way (no "Immigrants give my mortgage cancer!" nonsense, please) then where's the harm?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It comes back to the ridiculous PC notion that if you want to discuss anything which has any kind of racial connection or connotation, then you must be a racist.

PC has done more to stifle reasonable debate about important issues than anything I can think of - is it any wonder that people are making sure that they are heard by voting in a way that will garner some attention?

new topics

top topics

join