It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog crosses desert, mountains and somehow gets back home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Dog crosses desert, mountains and somehow gets back home

news.mywebpal.com

ELY, Nev.— A dog that ran off during a road-trip rest stop apparently made her way nearly 80 miles across Nevada’s high desert and two mountain ranges to return home a week later
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
We had a dog in the 70's , German Shepard named Lobo and we were moving across town, just about 15 miles, during one of the last trips loading up Lobo was going nuts barking at us, my Dad looked back and said 'don't worry ole boy , were coming back to get you', and we pulled off. Upon returning Lobo was gone, we called animal control and asked neighbors, one told us they saw Lobo, chain and all, running up the road but couldn't stop him. A few hours later we get back to the new house, which Lobo had never been to, and there he was. Good Boy!

news.mywebpal.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Pretty cool story wasn't that SC? I think we underestimate the intelligence of animals in general.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

It was a cool story!
I agree with you, no one really knows just how smart our pets are! My dogs amaze me all the time, each one of them have a trick they learned out of the blue, and when I am home alone the only time they 'alert' me is when they hear my husband coming home, only they hear him blocks before he ever gets near our house! Of course if someone were messing around the place they would alert, but it is a different sounding bark. Dogs man, gotta love em!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
The different bark thing. Amazing you should bring that up. I can decipher another dog walk intrusion, from a baddy up to no good. To the howls they whole heartedly delve into from sirens. They have their own dogspeak.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Mine make this sound, kind of like a human saying the letter 'h' , I guess all dogs do it, but I learned that I can make the sound and they just go nuts! Whatever it means to them they wanna lick my face and jump up and down, it excites them more than getting to go for a ride! My male, Bizkit, follows me where ever I go, he is right at my side, or feet, I didn't teach him this, but he does it, he won't even go outside unless I am out there with him.

Our nieghbor's dog hates the sirens, I get tickled at him, he has a deep voiced howl and bark, every time he hears a siren he's howling for 10 minutes!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Nice to read a 'happy' story for a change around here. Thanks, sc!
As far as the 'gotta love dogs'... well... I do, as long as they aren't mine. I have the same philosophy about kids
They just stink too much (the dogs, not the kids... but I'm sure some of you would disagree).

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   
If only humans could be humble enough to admit that animals might be just as smart as we are, but in different ways.

I always wondered how human behaviour looks to other animals.

We complain about dogs barking once in a while, but just look at it from a different animal's perspective. We're this hyper animal that will never shut up. Get us into groups, and it's deafening! Our language is just another animal noise to other animals! I often think that maybe we annoy the crap out of other animals, and that's why they attack us.

Yet, they are able to show unconditional love and loyalty, especially dogs.

Dogs for president 2008. Our world would be at peace, happily sniffing each other's butts.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RabbitChaser
Nice to read a 'happy' story for a change around here. Thanks, sc!
As far as the 'gotta love dogs'... well... I do, as long as they aren't mine. I have the same philosophy about kids
They just stink too much (the dogs, not the kids... but I'm sure some of you would disagree).

maybe you stink to dogs!?!?!

They still love you anyway.

Are dogs the second coming of Christ?

To put up with smelly people with such compassion.

Just kidding. I don't want to smell you either way. Not my thing.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

WoooHooo IndieRock you said it all! Dogs for President 2008!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Thanks RabbitChaser! I am hoping to get my first Star or Flag out of this thread, LOL!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

C'mon now... if I stunk, then all these damn dogs wouldn't keep trying to lick me! My friends' dog loves me 'cause I play with him and take him for walks when his owner is out of town... but when he jumps on the couch with me, after he's rolled in 2 piles of dung, some rotting wood and a deer carcass, I'm not a real big fan

So, come to think of it... maybe I do stink

I mean, if he likes rolling in all that stuff, maybe there is a similar reason why he likes to lick me

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RabbitChaser

Rabbit, the reason they love you is all in your name, Rabbit, Lol!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Humans and dogs have a connection dating back to the agricultural revolution. When we started producing trash, we created an easy food source for canine ancestors. Over time we have both impacted each other in many ways. It is encoded our (canines AND humans) DNA to interact with each other. Dogs, not wolves remember. A wolf will not look to a human for help, where a dog will. Some anthropologists devote all of their studies to the human/canine relationship.

Fascinating stuff. With stories like these, one has no trouble seeing that there is a deeper connection between us than a simple master/pet relationship. There is no question that my buddy Baxter would follow me to the gates of hell.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by annelidhunter

Our dna is encoded to interact with each other? You got my attention with that line. I just thought it was a symbiotic relationship, you know you scratch my back I scratch yours, or ear in this case. Can you provide some info or source on that, I'd like to know more if there is evidence of that.

Thanks SC great post! I'm a pooch lover myself.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
When I used that phrase, I didn't mean to say that there is a gene somewhere in our DNA that is telling us to go play fetch or anything like that. Not in that sense. I apologize if my words seemed to
impy something other scientific fact, like a spiritual connection to dogs.

It is pretty much accepted in the scientific community that nearly all breeds of dogs found today, are descended from wolves. That being said, it is interesting to compare results of simple tests between dogs and wolves. Not just wolves either. Domesticated wolves. Its probably important to know why they are compared with wolves. It is because of the fact that modern dogs descended from wolves BECAUSE of the interaction with humans. Essentially, because of the presence of humans, the dog is born.

Wolves cannot seem to grasp the "point" concept, where nearly every dog that I have known, understands it with almost no complication. Dogs know what it means when your eyes are closed, where wolves never figure it out. They know what it means when your eyes look at something else, where wolves do not. They watch our every move. They memorize us; our voice, the sound of our footsteps, body language, and it even seems sometimes our moods and emotions. It is probably safe to say that we have affected their DNA quite a bit more than ours, but that does not mean that in general, humans don't at least recognize some kind of connection to them. Most people don't think about the relationship being anymore than owner/pet. So many people have dogs as pets. This cannot be just a type of cultural fad or conformative move, even subconsciously. There is evidence to support the claims that the canine has been present in human past far longer than Westminster has been putting on dog shows.

Here you go.

This report is pretty interesting.

Just do a little digging about the relationship between dogs and humans and see what you can come up with.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Dogs are quite intelligent. My black lab/german shephard can open the fridge, pull meat out of a lunchmeat container, and not drag the container out of the fridge. she does this when left alone. We have to lock her in the bedroom when we leave to go to work.

I also have to agree with the "Different barks" statement. The lab, baby, you can definately tell her different barks and what they mean. Fily my shephard/[it bull on the other hand, she doesn't bark when someone is near or trying to get in. Had a guy decide that trying to get into my old apartment was a good idea. She let him in, then took him down and held him there. Anyone with any expirience with pits knows how their jaws are. Basically we don't give dogs enough credit. Cats either, cats have their owners trained.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You are right about the cat statement. That is a whole other thread.

[edit on 4/21/2008 by annelidhunter]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is the kind of story that needs to be presented on ATS, if for no other reason, just to serve to connect us to ourselves, and the rest of Nature that surrounds us.

Thanks for posting this, OP.

WW

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
For what it's worth, I had a cat that would attack people it did not know, the second they walked in the door. I don't mean a swat with its paw. I mean a full on attack. It was great!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join