It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Tech Massacre Reimaged Asians in the Eyes of Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Ever since Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 students at Virginia Tech Asian students have been treated like killers at schools, espicially the quiet ones.
This is happening all around me nowadays, there's always got to be some non-Asian saying "Oh that kid's gonna be a killer when he grows up, let's stay away from her/him". Apparently those people don't care if one is Korean, Chinese, Japanese or whatever, they hate the crap out of them for no reason other than the massacre.

Heck, I'm Asian, I heard the statement said behind my back 3 times already in a week. What pisses me off even more is that Koreans are saying it too trying to cover up their poor reputation by making people think that the killer is Chinese. Insolence I'd say, plain stupidity. It's the same as Westerners viewing all Muslims as radical and unstable in temper.

I want this
to stop because it's interfering friendship and views between Asians and non-Asians. It's unbelievable how much discrimination one can face in America after an incident that is unrelated to race.

By going around stereotyping and degrading people doesn't help, heck this might be the reason why Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people. I am sick and tired of this, if anyone here can give me some advice to change the dumbasses' views then tell me.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I understand how you feel. I wore a trench coat in high school during winter. The Columbine school shooting happened only a few years ago at the time. And I'm here in Colorado.

Theres not much advise I can think of at this time, I just shrugged it off when ever I heard rude biased comments from others. You see, theres this stupid thing know as "Guilty by association". It happened to black people, it happened to Jewish people, it's been happening since the dawn of human kind. It's sick, I know, makes my view on life darker. I honestly don't know what you tell you man, but if you ever need to talk, I got an ear to lend ya.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Hell, i've had an Asian kid call me a school shooter. I don't think it really matters what race you are, they're going to discriminate because of you're actions and or appearance.

I guess it doesn't hurt to be paranoid. Not in todays society anyway. Hell, I can't walk in a mall without peering over my shoulder.

I guess I fit the stereotypical "perp", in a sense that I listen to the supposed "perp" music, and wear "obscure" clothing. Not many people stroll around with combat boots nowadays.

The whole situation is BS though.

Most Asian kids from my area are Jacka***s. So I guess I can't really stereotype them. And they think it was funny. Idiots!

When it comes to quiet people, they're the ones I find the most interesting, and in most cases, intelligent. I'd rather chill hang out talking about the way things are, than talk about basketball and parties!

Virginia Tech...hmmn.. Y'know, I don't really know what to make of that whole situation. It's obvious the guy had his issues, and took it out in the most frowned upon manner! Maybe it was the only thing he could give back to the world?

Ah yes, 4/20. Today is the 9th year after the Columbine incident. Notice I don't say "MASSACRE"! It just sounds too........... you know what I mean. Disrespectful... yeah!

You know what I hate?! How the media hypes these things up! It's only going to give some disturbed persons(s) tge idea to carry out such a horiffic thing.

Last month was the 3rd year since the RedLake HighSchool incident.
Weise! I believe he was an active user on ATS.

Hmmn..
Perhaps these people are trying to send a message, which we fail to see! It seems, the only one who get these sort of things are the ones who have carried these acts out, considered them, and the ones who have survived.

Parents never get the wake-up call. Nor do the authorities! The only thing that changes in the system after an event, is the fact that everyone is scared pissless for a few months. And everything shifts back.

BALH!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

you have 2 options:

1)

Just tell the american morons that big pharma kills 20000 students every year from side effects of prescription drugs.

knowing americans students they will not understand what 20000 means as it is too complex for their simple doped out brains.

or

2)

or be smart and play up their fears even more and get a good laugh out of them.

walk around with a wide eyed stare and behaviour that you are about flip any moment.

say things like "i want to die under your breath".."tonight is the night"....

tonight yes..yes.. night....yes.

..yes tonight is the night..i will meet god tonight....

...spook the dimwits even more.

or suddenly shout!!...back off ! back off !!

baack off!! for no reason....

get a good laugh out of them.

revenge is sweet.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by esecallum]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
yeah well you're not alone pal, look at the stereotypes of black people, and muslims

why do old women clutch their purses when they see a black man on the sidewalk, why do people stare down arabs at airports as they are going through security

you and every other asian are going to have to deal with the fact that many many asians are quiet, are nerds with no friends, and have money to go and buy a whole school shooting kit

in todays day and age anyone can be a mass murderer, but the tag gets put on whoever has been on tv recently doing the most killing and in the most brutal ways

it will pass once a black kid shoots up a school or some more white kids or an illegal immigrant shoot up a school

for now you are just gonna have to brush the comments you hear off and just do what you do

the worst part is i can say it will pass once w/e race goes and shoots up a school and we all know eventually its going to happen so you just have to sadly play the waiting game if you want this to stop

:bnghd:

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Some people do stereotype based upon appearance, 'tis true. I'll not deny that. However...

...have you noticed all the many who don't? Don't become guilty of the very thing you are a victim of.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Instead of whining about it he should get some fun out of it....he should buy a trench coat and some candy sticks....

go about in the corridor with a wide eyed stare....as if he is about to pop any moment....make them run....terrify them...

he should spook them out.

this guy has no sense of fun.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
well i would say dont toy with them because that will make it worse. although it would be fun.

i would just say hang with other people who have a brainstem and will look through races and know you wont shoot up a school. racism is just stupid nothing good comes from it. mainly just dont care what other people say.

if they really get on your nerves go on a huge rant of why they are losers...why you wont shoot up school...race stuff...etc. be sure to make a huge scene so they get really embarrassed. hopefully you arent really shy or else the last part probably will scare the crap out of you.

from a fellow asian
~
Asian Sensation

yes bow down to my awesomeness!
lol(my ego usually isnt this big its just the things are alot of fun)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
it's the worst while you're in school because these jerks have had years to build up a "coolness" factor that few would challenge, even when that person is being an asshat. when you're in the real world, the playing field levels and it comes down to who has the most to offer society coming out on top. typically the ones that are prone to racism or bullying aren't the intellectual types that you would see running companies. =)

it will get better. not everyone is an ignorant a-hole. if some white dude gives you crap about being a murderer because you're asian, just makes some reference about him being white and therefore MUST have had something to do with the nazi death camps and genocide, witch burnings a few hundred years ago, slavery, etc. i'm a white dude. i give you permission. =) maybe that will at least get them wondering what you're talking about. if you're lucky it will *click* and he'll leave you alone.

other than that i would say just trudge through it and try not to let it get to you. you'll never get all of them off your back. they're only picking on you because it makes them feel like they're better than you. i got picked on a bit in school because i was a little socially awkward, short, geeky, etc.. i managed to get through it by finding some friends that i got along great with. it was easy to ignore everyone else. because of my "geekiness" i now have a great IT job in a place that i consider to be a bit prestigious. i'm willing to bet half the guys that picked on me are working at convenience stores or gas stations. i actually ran into a few of them after high school and they seemed like completely different people. almost as if they had to change their attitudes to fit in to the real world.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by an0maly33]

join