It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children's Hospital Boston Launches Sex Change Program For Kids

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
First, this is only delaying puberty to make it easier for children to have a choice in their lives. Yes, we can make choices, and yes, we can decide what gender fits us best.

Choices? But at what age? If children are old enough to decide such things at 10, why aren't they given the right to vote, marry and join the military. It's because adults realize that pre-teens don't have the knowledge and experience to make such life changing decisions at that age.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Children should not be allowed to make these decisions at such a young age. Norman Spack

"He said such treatments not only change the physical characteristics of the growing children, but also could leave them sterile for life."

Hmmm, seems if a child makes a mistake want wants to change back to being a male then what? Why do you guys thinks minors do not have the capacity to enter contracts?

Because they can make mistakes and they do not understand what they want. Would you let your 12-14 year old boy go out and buy a cellphone on their own?

"You have to explain to the patients that if they go ahead, they may not be able to have children. … But if you don't start treatment, they will always have trouble fitting in," he said.

Source

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Great job with selective quoting.

This decision isn't made by the child alone. It's a decision that involves the caregiver, and child psychiatrist. The procedure couldn't be allowed with only the child's consent.

Will someone please actually read the article?!

apc

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

And anyone who's taken high school biology knows it's true. Just as a fetus is female until testosterone causes the clitoris to become a penis, children are largely asexual until the hormone surge of puberty. You're trying to say that's bunk? Wow...

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The bigger concern, and what this procedure is attempting to remedy is the extremely high suicide rate amongst children with confused gender roles, and not being accepted in society. I suppose there are many who would say 'good riddance' to young trans-gendered and gay people offing themselves, but I'm not one of them.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
It seems these days that religious intolerance is seeping into every view, every thread, and every discussion. I at times feel deeply ashamed for my fellow Christians.

Naturally there are people that suffer.... there are developing teens whom have a tough road ahead of them concerning gender development.

What the people ranting and raving here will not admit is that this scares the living crud out of them. Just thinking about it probably makes their skin crawl and "Bad bad bad!" to start repeating in their head.

The idea of anyone choosing their gender is deeply disturbing to people who are indoctrinated into the American brand of Evangelism.

Such people are not for helping others, they are for limiting the choices of all human beings to a strict code of God-given rules as defined by whichever flavor of kool aid they happen to be imbibing.

If they feel it is offensive and a sin, it should be abolished for all time.

I dream of an age, one day, when People will choose at will their gender.... race.... species...

And in that dream, I hear my EXtian brethren regurgitating the same tired bile and hatred that's been dusted off and passed down for countless centuries and millenia.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc

And anyone who's taken high school biology knows it's true. Just as a fetus is female until testosterone causes the clitoris to become a penis, children are largely asexual until the hormone surge of puberty. You're trying to say that's bunk? Wow...

It's absolutely "bunk". What you are talking about happens before they are born..

Try watching how they act. For most kids there is a clear difference. Have to ask, but do you have children?

[edit on 4/21/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheColdDragon
It seems these days that religious intolerance is seeping into every view, every thread, and every discussion. I at times feel deeply ashamed for my fellow Christians.

Another incorrect assumption - at least in my case. I'm not against this due to religious beliefs, I'm against this because from experience raising and being around children, I know children of that age are not developed enough physically (in their brains) to know the ramifications of such a choice. As far as parents and care givers also being involved, so what? A child will very often view these adults as authority figures and do whatever they say. Also, these adults will have their own agendas.

Keep in mind that if your state embraces this this, someone else will be choosing for your child. Like that thought?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Sounds like it's just the market satisfying a legitimate demand.

I don't think there is anything legitimate about unnecessary major surgery being performed on children who aren't old enough to make those kinds of decisions.

The money would be better spent elsewhere in the hospital.
Children's Cancer treatments comes to mind.

Originally posted by apc
children are largely asexual until the hormone surge of puberty.

I dunno about that. I work in a preschool. Even 3 year old boys and girls behave VERY differently.

[edit on 4/21/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I don't think there is anything legitimate about unnecessary major surgery being performed on children who aren't old enough to make those kinds of decisions.

That's nice.

If you had actually read the article you'd know there was no surgery being performed.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

You are a victim of a duel set of infectious memes, as well as the Conspiracy against Self-Determinism.

That you advocate teenagers as being children is example of the first meme, and your advocating that free will be curtailed based off of personal experience is prime example of the Conspiracy. I've been around a lot of children, my Mother ran several day cares for almost a decade.

Culture has beaten into your head, and everyone else's, that free will takes a back seat to protectionism. Free will is unappealing if it means offending your senses of moral correctness.

Admit it straight out. You find this morally reprehensible and want to make them stop, you don't believe they should be allowed to do what they intend to.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheColdDragon

And your "label maker" must be working on overtime. Admit that you like to throw out big words to make yourself sound pretentious, but otherwise know little about the subject you're speaking on. Admit that your mother probably just fixed you lunch.

I've told you why I don't like this idea several times. Sorry if that doesn't fit your prejudicial view.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Hmm. You have claimed an Appeal to Authority (You know about kids). You have also decided to attack my superior vocabulary, as if being well spoken should be considered a NEGATIVE thing.

I'd wager a month's wage my SAT's are higher. Being intelligent isn't a sin, acting intelligent shouldn't be either, and using the english language as it is intended to be used is far preferable to displaying ones self as no better than rabble and half as noticeable. I prefer the erudite method.

I imagine you criticize my words because you feel that "Talking big" makes people feel small or inferior, and that must necessarily be the reason I use such voluble modalities.

I just hope you realize that attacking a person's speech is an ad hominem, that you didn't answer my question, and that the conversation is not about ME.

I'll have to assume you DON'T want to stop what they are doing, that you DO agree that they should be allowed to do it,and that it DOES NOT anger or frighten you (Which is a redundancy in statement).

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

What about attacking another person's views in such a prejudicial way as you continue to do? If you truly understood the language, you'd (rightfully, it seems) understand that I was questioning your age and experience, not your intelligence. Last, it has been so many years since SAT scores mattered to anyone I was trying to have conversation with. Don't worry, you'll probably get there too some day. Once you're out in the real world and on your own, no doubt you will also find that experience and common sense often counts for way more than test scores. You might get hired for your first job based on your SAT score, but after that it will the things that I just mentioned that get you the rest of the jobs you have in life.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I have known some people in this situation in my life, and it's not fun for them.

I can't side with the traditionalists here at all - the old way of dealing with kids like this left a lot of them permanently mentally damaged.

This is a much more sensible way of dealing with what is basically a medical problem, despite all the cultural baggage.

A quick history lesson: the "old" ways of dealing with children with sexual development disorders that you mention, such as assigning an ambiguously formed child whatever sex seems to be most evident in its genitals, were at one time the new ways of dealing with it. Decades ago, cutting off a girl's clitoris because it was too large to be a clitoris but too small to be a penis (basically FGM whether it's called that or not) was the "more sensible way of dealing with a medical problem" than simply letting her develop with a large clitoris.

The point is that this "new" treatment will be the "old" treatment in another fifty years when it will be derided as useless, quackery, torturous, and all the other things you might want to say about things that are currently the "old" treatments. So while it doesn't use a scalpel to "fix" a child with ambiguous sex, it's no more civilized or sensible than its predecessors.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I think you've grossly misjudged my age based off of your words, as well as my "Worldly experience", but hey, if you want to marginalize people you're talking to I won't bother trying to rebut anything you say.

If you want to be an adult and actually have a conversation, I'd be much obliged to see if you're honest enough to state what you feel about it without couching it within protectionism (As if you're looking out for the world's children).

There's a reason you respond the way you do, and it has nothing to do with other people, other people's children, children you don't know and have never met or wanting to protect children.

The same is true for all the others present who are voicing their moral outrage.

I dislike disingenuous responses, particularly when people don't even realize that is what they are doing.

apc

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm not talking about behavior. Behavior is kids slicing their arms open or hanging themselves. I'm talking about physical attributes which is primarily what hormone modification impacts. Mental gender and sexual orientation are mainly determined in the womb. It's when those mental variables conflict with the physical, made prominent when hormones surge during puberty, that you start seeing such dramatic problems as this treatment seeks to correct.

Little Jimmy can dress up in his sisters clothes and feel perfectly normal and natural but when he starts to become Big Jim societal pressures and cultural conflicts arise which invoke feelings of resent, depression, and anger. They take it out on themselves thinking something's wrong with them and it's their fault. What kind of sick freak would decree "That's too bad. That's how God made them," and actually be able to sleep at night?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

No you cannot. God made you male or female. It's not like a car you don't like or a television for you to exchange for a different one. Gender reassignment is the most absurd idea ever. If an adult wants to make a stupid decision like that, that's their business, but it's not a decision a child should be allowed to make. What does a teenager know about what they want? What they want one minute they don't the next.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This all started back in the "90's" when the main stream media started to make it seem sheik to be gay. People leave children to be raised by the maniac box (TV) and the children get all kinds of confusion. Go to the damn mall people the boys are becoming girls, one day there will be no "real men" to fight the elite when the time finally comes.

Our children are being conditioned by the media to become some non-thinking passive consumers that only think about feeding there own desires. Why cant people see this? Why are we letting all this happen to us?

This is disgusting.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Oh come off of this crap. When my grandmother was a teenager, there was a very low suicide rate. Even when my mother was young. There was also a very low homosexual and other sexually deviant percentage. When sex was kept mainly between a man and his wife and the family unit was still in tact there were so fewer problems. There weren't freaks running around whining about being a woman trapped in a man's body or vice versa. There weren't homosexuals running rampant and destroying the moral fiber of this country either. It all comes down to responsibility. People seriously need to start taking responsibility for their own lifes and living the life God gave them. When life throws lemons at you what do you do? Turn the lemons into apples? No, make lemonade. It looks like in America today it's If at first you don't succeed, change your standards.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join