It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Western rallies continue in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

China has been hit by fresh anti-Western protests in reaction to the alleged 'biased' coverage of the Tibetan movement by Western media.
Hundreds of Chinese demonstrated Sunday in cities including Xian, Harbin and Jinan - often outside stores of the French chain Carrefour.

The latest demonstrations came after thousands of Chinese rallied Saturday in Beijing, Wuhan, Hefei, Kunming, and Qingdao in support of their country and demanding a boycott of French products.

www.presstv.ir...

They also shouted "Support the Olympics," "Play up! China," and "Condemn CNN"

What does Play up! China means? Do they mean Pay Up China? Who knows. What do you expect from a "state approved" rally . Condemn CNN ? Give me a break. You got your damn apology. Get over it.

Did you mean Condemn your government for killing Tibetans? This was a weird article.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by Master_Wii]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
If the Chinese wish to continue their anti-western stance, then the west should resopnd in kind and move their manufacturing plants back to their native countries. The local population would appreciate the work, the local economy would do well, and the globalist pigs on wall street are the only ones who would suffer financialy (may they hang in October).

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Both countries need each other. China needs American consumers to purchase the products that they make. America needs China for the cheap goods that they make. So I don't think this is going to go further more then a protest.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 2stepsfromtop

if American companies pulled out of china the government would put up tarrifs and no one would buy Chinese products, the Chinese government wouldn't be able to support the public and china would collapse..

[edit on 20-4-2008 by purplemonkey]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Yet another anti-China thread is popping up in ATS.

These increasing anti-Western sentiments (and anti-China sentiments) are doing no good to anybody.

The Carrefour protests started off quite spontaneously when some Chinese netizens saw some people started protesting in front of the Carrefour in Hubei, and spread faster over the whole country when the people started noticing that. This was kinda an explosions and using Carrefour as a scapegoat for the recent intense anger among the ordinary Chinese people against biased Western MSM. The last time we have seen these protests were against the Japanese historic books.

"Play Up! China"? It is doubtful that any Chinese protestors used any English in their protests. And I wish people could have seen footages of Chinese Police forces convincing protestors to keep it calm and peaceful, and at least two guys were convinced and volunteerily put on a jacket to cover the Anti-Western/Carrefour T-Shirt.

[edit on 20/4/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 2stepsfromtop

Only white Europeans should be allowed to protest other nations, right? If it's okay for France to protest China - even beat up a crippled Chinese national while doing so - then it's okay for the Chinese to protest France and western media.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IchiNiSan

no offense to the Chinese (although it may seem that way) but it seems kind of pathetic that they are demand the French for an apology... do you really have to be that insecure about what people think of you? i mean so what what if they want independence for Tibet.. respect there decision and get over it! because in reality China is not going to give up Tibet. The more you make of the situation the worse it will get.

but thats just how i have seen the situation, maybe i am wrong... what are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey

no offense to the Chinese (although it may seem that way) but it seems kind of pathetic that they are demand the French for an apology... do you really have to be that insecure about what people think of you? i mean so what what if they want independence for Tibet.. respect there decision and get over it! because in reality China is not going to give up Tibet. The more you make of the situation the worse it will get.

but thats just how i have seen the situation, maybe i am wrong... what are your thoughts?

I do condemn the Chinese protests against Carrefour. Carrefour is being victimized and scapegoated by patriot sounds in China. LVMH even officially made a statement that they never donated or sponsored the Dalai Lama movements, my spider sense tell me that some malevolent opportunistic business people have taken this chance to take out one of their most succesfull competitor in China. But what can we say about these Chinese protests, except that people over the world do not usually resort to rational reasoning? And is easily blinded by negative news about something dear to themselves?

Scapegoating a French originated retailer is one way to express the anger built up in the Chinese people about the French violent and chaotic torch relay in the Western cities, which many ordinary Chinese people all over the world feel they have been miss-treated by an unfair and unjustified biased Western MSM and politicians. I bet that if the Western reporting and journalism were not so obviously biased, then there would not have been much ammunition for many to stir up the anti-Western sentiments in the East.

After all it is not about the Tibet independence call by pro-Tibetan supporters anymore, to the ordinary Chinese people it is more about that the "evil" West is taking a prejudiced and unfair side against the Chinese people in general. Because let's face it, we all know that Tibet will never be seperated from China.

In my humble opinion the Western parties (media and politicians) should act more like the Australian Prime-Minister Rudd and the French senator Jean-Luc Mélenchon and step off the outcry hardline bandwagon against China to win popular votes in their backyarden. The Western media should simply be more objective and stop twisting facts and start reporting what is really going on like the Italian paper Corriera Della Sera did by having for the first time sketching the possibility that some divisions of the "holy free tibet" movements are nothing but a terrorist organization embracing violence and will resort to whatever means to achieve their goals. (archiviostorico.corriere.it... translation by google: 209.85.135.104...://archiviostorico.corriere.it/2008/marzo/27/non_violenza_Non_paga_Potremmo_co_9_080327 123.shtml.)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

The Western media should simply be more objective and stop twisting facts and start reporting what is really going on like the Italian paper Corriera Della Sera did by having for the first time sketching the possibility that some divisions of the "holy free tibet" movements are nothing but a terrorist organization embracing violence and will resort to whatever means to achieve their goals.

While personally i've stopped to participate in the ongoing Anti China debate in internet forums, i'd like to point out a simple fact here.

taken from www.shanghaidaily.com...

Adrian Geiges, a correspondent for the German weekly Stern, said in a recently published story titled ''Dalai Lama is no innocent angel" that he was ''outraged" by the one-sided perception of many Westerners regarding Tibet.
What happened in Tibet, including arson and assaults on innocent civilians, was ''racial violence," which can by no means be justified, said Geiges, who was among the few foreign journalists in Tibet during the violent unrest in March.
''However, many Westerners are under the impression that the Chinese attacked the Tibetans," he said. ''Where does this misunderstanding come from?"
One of the reasons, Geiges said, is the idealization of the Dalai Lama and Tibetans, who many Westerners believe are innocent and non-violent and should receive sympathy for the alleged human rights violations.
However, the violent and deadly attacks on civilians by the rioters have instead ''violated the human rights of the Han Chinese," said Geiges.

Unfortunately only available in german, here you can find the complete debunk on this article from Mr. Adrian Geiges himself. Just a few facts from the article

- Mr. Geiges was not in Tibet during the riots, he and his team, like all other western journalists didn't get any allowance to enter Tibet

- While saying, that the title of Dalai Lama doesn't automatically results in being a good person, the only thing he said about the current one, was that he is a very succesful diplomat.

- He did say quite the opposite of the things he's been quoted; example :

Shanghai Daily
"However, the violent and deadly attacks on civilians by the rioters have instead ''violated the human rights of the Han Chinese," said Geiges."

Mr. Geiges
"With good reason it is referred, that chinas leaders are violating the human rights of the tibetans. Sadly they are also violating the rights of their other citizens, especially the han chinese"

Sounds very objective and truthful if you hold it against the fact twisting western media, doesn't it ? And the Shanghai Daily article is written by a xinhua reporter, the official mouthpiece of the chinese government.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
this is a stark reminder to all the chinese in the world that the west will not stop at anything to bring down the motherland.

we chinese must work double hard to build up our finances, industrial base and exel in science and technology.

remember this biased and humiliating treatment, we must one day serve the west their own just dessert, 100 fold.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Actually, From what I gather it's not that simple.

Rumours has it that Louis Vuitton had acquired some decent amount of Carrefours shares last year, and The Chinese found out that Louis Vuitton had donated to the C ! A supported "Free Tibet" movement.

This.. and the half arsed altitude of French security protecting the Omlypic Torch relay... and American Pigeon Sarkozy speech about boycott of the Beijing games opening didn't help.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mobydog

hi!

i am adding some other points.

Paris municipal gov hung out the Free tibet flag and the mayor of Paris insulted all chinese women by saying dirty words.

as for the distorted and fabricated news by their medias, not worth wasting my time to mention the bark lie!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Phil J. Fry

Phil, I guess you will not find ANY Chinese sourced article from me in ATS as supportive evidence or suggested reference read,
This is also why when I was being told by a friend of a Xinhua article about the Italian Corriera interview about supposed Tibetan suicide bombing, I spend time to dig up the original source and used like several transloters to make sure I am not going to miss-quote or miss-understand the context or something before posting this as a reference. And between you and me, I could care less and never waste my time on most Chinese media regarding politics, at most using it for my business researches or daily entertainment stories

The German guy (wow, long time ago reading Germans) made a good point of that if criticism regarding the biased Western MSM is raised, then the criticism should also be pointed at the Chinese MSM, and for the alleged Xinhua reporter he most likely better start to take German courses before quoting the guy in a published paper. Retaliation should not be done by mimicing someone else style of twisting and lying *sigh* Who is actualy the mentor here? Ah too confusing

What I also agree with him that the ordinary common Chinese people normally have limited access to foreign media sources. But he lacked to elaborate his point. He conveniently forgets to mention how limited the Foreign language literacy is among over 95% of the Chinese populace. And most of them care less of accessing foreign websites. The Chinese will not even know what the Bild is, I doubt that even the French francois know. However, they do know what CNN and BBC are, even though when most of time never really watched it at all. Because CNN is to the Chinese people the spokesman of and representing America's voice and opinion, as Xnhua is to the world the spokesman of and respresenting the Chinese voice and opinion. Xinhua is never trusted anyhow by the Western world, but the miss-trust among the ordinary Chinese people for a channel like CNN only started maybe from last year on when the Mattel quality issues became big news in China, it was quite new to the Chinese people and many up untill today don;t understand why "some westerners needed to help pro-Tibetans movements in demonstrating against China.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Alan whats mentions that it was THE WEST that funded and created China, look up his web site cuttingthroughtthematrix.com.
He knows the facts.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Sorry ALAN WATT to give correct spelling

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobydog
Actually, From what I gather it's not that simple.

Rumours has it that Louis Vuitton had acquired some decent amount of Carrefours shares last year, and The Chinese found out that Louis Vuitton had donated to the C ! A supported "Free Tibet" movement.

This.. and the half arsed altitude of French security protecting the Omlypic Torch relay... and American Pigeon Sarkozy speech about boycott of the Beijing games opening didn't help.

We are talking about rumors regarding Louis Vuitton. LVMH is the major shareholder of Carrefour, no doubt about that. But if LV donated and sponsored the Free Tibet movements, I highly doubt so. Carrefour is now being used as an obvious and clear target to let out all the steam and anger among the Chinese protesters. Just hope that these protesters can come back to reason soon and don't resort themselves to even more actions. Simply don't buy from Carrefour if that makes them happier, but don't disturb the social order by doing that. For my part any violent Chinese protesters against Carrefour can be picked up by the police without a second warning.

I have to make clear that business wise I hate Carrefour as a customer, and made a strategic decision to not sell to these kinds of retailers which are exploting and squeezing their suppliers. Nonetheless, I do believe that Carrefour was the most succesfull Foreign retailer, maybe only Jusco can match their success. Unfortunately with success, you make also a lot of enemies. This is why you will not hear people crying out loud screaming for boycotting Metro, the German retailer whose Chancellor is the First world leader saying she will boycott the Olympic opening ceremony. Putting this same scenario on the geopolitical theather, then it becomes easier to understand why increasing anti-China sentiments is observed and experienced.

top topics

join