It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth Is Flat, Proof In Model - [FARCE]

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
reply to post by _Del_

Light doesn't travel in a straight line, and therefore you can no longer measure this by size, it's by the brightness of an object. Light travels in every single direction there is.

You wouldn't see a 40 watt lightbulb from space, but you could see the lights from a city from space, the Sun is apparently millions of times brighter than that, it is capable of lighting one entire "side of the planet" for up to 12 hours. Must be pretty bright, huh?

So now that you've explained this (HA!, I can't say that with a straight face), please explain the curvature in the eclipses.

[edit on 21.4.2008 by Shugo]

Light is bent by gravity (or diffracted and refracted by the atmosphere or other mediums, Snell's law, et al). You can't see the sun at all times because it isn't always over your portion of the earth. The same reason I can't see a flashlight from 20 miles away. The sun is like a 32 mile wide flash light in the sky. Except it round. Maybe like the ghost orbs you see in photos then. In anycase, you can't see it if it isn't near enough to you.
Lunar eclipses have already been explained. The moon is "lit" by sunlight, and also by sun light reflected from earth's surface. On rare occasions the troughs of light from one source meet the crest of another this results in destructive interference, causing the moon to dim.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
That doesn't provide a valid scientific or mathmatical explanation for why eclipses have curvature. Sorry. Please go back and re-equate your response.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_

Originally posted by Shugo
reply to post by _Del_

Light doesn't travel in a straight line, and therefore you can no longer measure this by size, it's by the brightness of an object. Light travels in every single direction there is.

You wouldn't see a 40 watt lightbulb from space, but you could see the lights from a city from space, the Sun is apparently millions of times brighter than that, it is capable of lighting one entire "side of the planet" for up to 12 hours. Must be pretty bright, huh?

So now that you've explained this (HA!, I can't say that with a straight face), please explain the curvature in the eclipses.

[edit on 21.4.2008 by Shugo]

Light is bent by gravity (or diffracted and refracted by the atmosphere or other mediums, Snell's law, et al). You can't see the sun at all times because it isn't always over your portion of the earth. The same reason I can't see a flashlight from 20 miles away. The sun is like a 32 mile wide flash light in the sky. Except it round. Maybe like the ghost orbs you see in photos then. In anycase, you can't see it if it isn't near enough to you.
Lunar eclipses have already been explained. The moon is "lit" by sunlight, and also by sun light reflected from earth's surface. On rare occasions the troughs of light from one source meet the crest of another this results in destructive interference, causing the moon to dim.

How can the light in your "no gravity flat earth" be bent? This has yet to be answered.
Also, why does the sun always seem round? If its a disk, it would look eliptical as it got further away towards the horizon.
You have contradicted yourself. At one point early on you said the moon was the back side of the sun.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by coop039]

[edit on 21-4-2008 by coop039]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm wondering how he'll explain White Nights.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Eratosthenes was actually basing his measurements on the belief that the sun's light was hitting the earth in paralell rays. As the sun is actually smaller than the earth this is not the case. Eratosthenes was actually measuring the angle of the sun's rays which helps to determine the position of the sun above the earth. You see the size and distance from the earth are not arbitrary in FET.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple
Did you really say the Earth would have no atmosphere if it stopped spinning? Oh dear. You have lost all cred as a reasonable poster in my book.

Actually, if you read the train of responses a round earth theory advocate proposed that. Not me. I said it would not lose its atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

If you had actually read my posts instead of trying to prove to the world you were smarter than me you would see I never said earth's gravity curves light. Because earth has no gravity in the FET I'm proposing. I've also never said the moon was the flipside to the sun. That's why I never went out of my way to answer your question. I was hoping you might actually read a few of my posts. That and you were hopping up and down with your hand up like there were no other questions to be answered in the thread but your "smoking gun", and that irritated me (rightly or wrongly).

[edit on 21-4-2008 by _Del_]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I guess Steve Fossett just flew to the edge and back and lied to every one and anyone who tracked him?

www.popularmechanics.com...

In March, GlobalFlyer became the first single-pilot plane to fly around the Earth without stopping or refueling.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Fosset circumnavigated the world by air which is far from impossible on a flat earth. I expected better from a mod

Also, he later disappeared inexplicably. He may have been the first brave pioneer to cross the icewall. Is it a coincidence that his good friend was the genious Burt Rutan? Probably not.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

OK, can you address what I posted above then?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

The sun's circular orbit around the north pole accounts for this theory. In the northern part of the world the circle shortens during summer. Thus the northern section is lit some or most of the time (depending on proximity to the pole) while the outside of the disc (south) receives less.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

Are you doubting that interference occurs in waves or that it occurs in light? I'm not sure what I'm rebutting.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_
The sun's circular orbit around the north pole accounts for this theory. In the northern part of the world the circle shortens during summer. Thus the northern section is lit some or most of the time (depending on proximity to the pole) while the outside of the disc (south) receives less.

Um, no. It's light ALL OF THE TIME. That would mean that Antarctica would receive no light then, right?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

In YOUR post at the top of this page you say that light is bent by gravity.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Honestly, this thread has truly developed into a farce, nothing but wild fights of fantasy and inaccurate views on actual provable physical laws.

No provable facts have been displayed by the OP or other proponents of this theory and they constantly dodge questions which need answering, To deny ignorance is also to admit when you are either wrong or mis-informed.

I'm going to deny ignorance right now ..... this thread seeks to spread ignorance and i dont want to be a part of it......

so see ya guys ..... i've had enough reading this thread

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

It is not daylight all the time in St.Petersburg. The sun sets, but the sky still appears bright. It is a distinction, but one with a difference. If it were more northerly only slightly an IN the artic circle the sun would not set below the horizon for atleast one full cycle. The sun would not set. The FET accounts for this in the way the orbit contracts. Staying nearer to the pole. At the solstice this is most pronounced. Antartica during the Winter(or June) solstice receives atleast one day when the sun does not actually rise.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
to say the earth is the only PLANEt has implications that are true; but what about PLANEankhs.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I try to be extremely open minded when it comes to most things but there is no way the earth is flat because theres hundreds of logical reasons why the earth must be round to ignore if one wants to even begin to entertain the idea. you would have to ignore so many facts and focus so much on a few small possibilities as to why it may be flat that it would border far too close on the side of insanity to even attempt.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ok, so you dont like the whole light bends with gravity and no gravity flat earth question. What about the whole sun is a disk and would not appear round all the time? I see it as round now. My friend in Las Vegas sees it as round right now. Explain.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

You know, if you're going to BS people you really should do some research:

From late May to early July the nights are bright in St Petersburg, with the brightest period, the White Nights, normally lasting from June 11th to July 2nd. The White Nights (Beliye Nochi) are a curious phenomenon caused by St. Petersburg’s very northerly geographical location - at 59 degrees 57' North (roughly on the same latitude as Oslo, Norway, the southern tip of Greenland and Seward, Alaska). St. Petersburg is the world's most northern city with a population over 1 million, and its stands at such a high latitude that the sun does not descend below the horizon enough for the sky to grow dark. In fact night becomes curiously indistinguishable from day, so much so that the authorities never need to turn the city’s streetlights on!

www.saint-petersburg.com...

Antarctica:

Most of the Antarctic winter (June, July) is spent in total darkness (yes, that is 24 hours), with howling winds and storms.

www.biosbcc.net...

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join