It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth Is Flat, Proof In Model - [FARCE]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I've seen many misconceptions from people who say the Earth is actually somehow a round ball in space. It is beyond absurd and preposterous. So, to try and clarify it for them, I've made a quick diagram showing just exactly how the Earth is flat and why it appears to be round from space. The reason that the earth appears round from higher up is because gravity bends light, so the father you get away from the light, you become aware of just how powerful an influence gravity and refraction have on it. It's not that the Earth is actually curved, it's just that the light is curving away from your eyes. The first picture here merely looks like a round object, but it is obviously fake because it only shows part of the landmass - an obvious hint that there is a conspiracy cover up.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I understand where your going, but how would you prove it. Our eyes tell us what we see. What ever the true shape of the earth is, does not really matter, just like how any object your looking at means to you.

Interesting though, it would be interesting if you were to find, any material on this.

Did you make that collection of pictures, or was it elsewhere. Have you found anyone else, that have looked at this.

You see the problem is, we grow up believing the image we see. So shifting our imagination to see the earth differently will be hard.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by andy1033]

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Have you ever been in an airplane before, or seen video from the spacewalks? You can see the curvature, if only very slightly.

The Earth is very round. How can you get to China from LAX without falling off into space? unless you mean to say that it's like an old videogame where if you run off one side, you appear on the other side magically...

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Sorry about that.

Seriously though, you expect me to believe that the Earth is flat? So, when you are in an aeroplane above 35,000, do you not see something that resembles a 'curviture' on the horizon? What are we then, a flat disc with every satelite (including commercial) projecting images of a 'circular' world - is there a point to this opinion / conspiracy?

Just trying to answer this makes me feel like the town fool.

Magician, yes, you'd have to be: Logician - no.

Good thread though.

Huh hum, Brei.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by indierockalien
Have you ever been in an airplane before, or seen video from the spacewalks? You can see the curvature, if only very slightly.

The Earth is very round. How can you get to China from LAX without falling off into space? unless you mean to say that it's like an old videogame where if you run off one side, you appear on the other side magically...

No, you would travel on the disc to China. You're being silly. The earth isn't a square. Not I'm not an advocate of this theory, I'm just saying you're not addressing a real concern of Flat Earth Theory.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
That model is quite silly. The flat earth looks like this

i42.photobucket.com...

As you can see there is no problem flying from LA to China.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by _Del_]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Oh my! I guess somebody had to say it

It really was all that was left to be said. We have officially gone off the deep end.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

Now you know where he is going with this, he is not saying, it is square or flat, he is saying light might be being distroted by gravity. Although i am not sure, how that effects the crust, of the earth.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

The Earth is very round. How can you get to China from LAX without falling off into space?

What we think of as "going around" the world is done so, but merely on a circular disk. Gravity stops us from "falling off into space" so we can't walk off the side.

Did you make that collection of pictures, or was it elsewhere.

Yes, I created it.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS magician.

So in your model its possible to walk of the face of the earth! Or are you sugessting that when we get to one side of the earth we "magically" reappear on the other side .....

Which appears more logical:-
1. the earth is flat and some "magical" thing happens that allows us to move off of one side of the earth and reappear on the other
2. the earth is actually a sphere meaning that no "magical" thing would have to happen to allow you to navigate all the way around it !

I vote for the second option. The only way that gravity would be able to bend light in such a way was if the earth had a mass equal to that of a black hole, but that would also mean that we could not co-exist on a planet with such gravitational effects.

Being able to ORBIT the planet is another nail in the coffin for the flat earth.

Ever heard of Line of sight. Global communications sort of depend on this !

Sorry dude, your argument just doesnt hold up.

just my 2 cents

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsRus
Welcome to ATS magician.

So in your model its possible to walk of the face of the earth! Or are you sugessting that when we get to one side of the earth we "magically" reappear on the other side .....

Which appears more logical:-
1. the earth is flat and some "magical" thing happens that allows us to move off of one side of the earth and reappear on the other
2. the earth is actually a sphere meaning that no "magical" thing would have to happen to allow you to navigate all the way around it !

I vote for the second option. The only way that gravity would be able to bend light in such a way was if the earth had a mass equal to that of a black hole, but that would also mean that we could not co-exist on a planet with such gravitational effects.

Being able to ORBIT the planet is another nail in the coffin for the flat earth.

Ever heard of Line of sight. Global communications sort of depend on this !

Sorry dude, your argument just doesnt hold up.

just my 2 cents

i42.photobucket.com...

A flat earth doesn't neccessarily mean a east west axis. If the middle of the disc was at the north pole, you would not fall off the earth getting to anywhere on the planet.
How do you know things orbit the planet? Have you actually orbited the planet?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_
That model is quite silly. The flat earth looks like this

i42.photobucket.com...

As you can see there is no problem flying from LA to China.

Well, that is a good model; however the point of mine is to show that the perceived roundess is merely a gravitational illusion whereas light is bent by the gravity well of the circular world which makes it appear to actually be round.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

What would be on the other side?

Is the moon and the sun and all the other planets in our solar sytem flat too?

I thought that all the heavenly bodies and other natural things like atoms, etc. were spheres because that is the easiest shape for matter to form into.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It's possible, but how do you know it appears round? You're not going to trust NASA satellite images, are you?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toy_soldier

I thought that all the heavenly bodies and other natural things like atoms, etc. were spheres because that is the easiest shape for matter to form into.

Noone knows what's on the other side. Noone has been there. The sun and moon are probably discs that orbit the center of the earth map: the north pole. I don't know if other stars are discs or spheres, it's really too hard to say.

link   
Oh....

Well I stopped subscribing to that theory shortly .... it's been so long.... can't remember if it was before or after bloodletting went out of style. So I'm rusty on the specifics.

Thanks for the reminder. It's been a while!

Welcome to ATS, though. In the famous words of Han Solo, "Don't get too cocky!"

link   

Originally posted by scepticsRus

just my 2 cents

Orbiting the earth is just moving around the disc at a higher altitude, the perception that it is round comes from the fact that the force of gravity decreases with altitude, so the higher you are, the light in your frame of reference is not being bent to the degree of that nearer the surface. A place flying around the disc is essentially doing the same thing that spacecraft do, but spacecraft do it at a higher altitude.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
OR NASA is simply feeding you images it wants you to see. Perhaps they never put a satellite in orbit but have mastered the art of bouncing signals off high altitude blimps.

link   

Originally posted by Toy_soldier
reply to post by _Del_

The sun and the moon is are just different sides of the same light disc, and we can see the moon during the day (the back of the sun) precisely because the world is a disc. If it was not a disc, it would not be possible.

Atomic particles aren't actualyl spheres. There are some point particles that take up no space at all, like a photon, and the rest are wave functions of energy that only collapse when measured.

link   
Now thats really pushing logical thinking _Del_ well done....thats quite a fantasy trip your taking there.

No i have not orbited the planet, but i have been on a plane and i have also seen the curvature o the earth over the horizon.

k, I will stay where i am ... you walk off to the horizon and if i see you disappear from sight then the earth must have a curvature. If you get a reference point in the sky ... say the north star... when you move across the face of the earth it will either be directly over head of it will move closer to the horizon.... if you are on the south pole the north start simply will not be visible ...... basic logic. Some simple math will tell you the angle of curvature from your location and the location of the north star.
Some simply geometry will allow you to mesure the cirfumfrence of the earth as well ....

The earth is not a perfect sphere either, it is flattened at the poles this means that the strength of gravity is affacted at those areas.

.... please proove me wronge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join