It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why hasn't main stream media hacking become as commonplace as with computers?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Firstly may i say i write this post with no knowledge of computer or any other type of hacking, so forgive me if anything i say is a bit "out there and not possible".

We hear about websites being hacked/cracked/whatever they call it, all the time. Yet time and time again, and for year after year without change, we see the MSM spewing such rubbish to fit a specific agenda.

Unfortunately as we are all aware here on ATS, most of the public rely heavily and truly believe what they hear on tv.

So why in this day and age, and with the skills some techy people have, do we not see tv channels being taken over and messages or programmes being played to show the public the truth?

I know it sounds like the stuff of movies, but you could see how it could happen.

I know there are other channels set up to tell more of the thruth, but often they are still viewed less than the main channels.

Just curious thats all.

CX.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I assume you would need alot more than just a computer to hack over bbc1 or abc, or something.

I would not say it would be impossible, but look at how sky tv in england is. The hackers still have not hacked it, even though digital has been out for at least 9-10 years. The hackers cannot even break the encrytion on encrytion channels.

When they put there channels on the transponders on the satelittes, there must be alot of high tech equipment being used. Sky seems to have found ways to combat people stealing there channels, and i would assume, that if people cannot do that they cannot overide the system.

But saying that, maybe the military have ways of doing it, as they may own the satelittes.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
It happens from time to time. the most famous one I can remember is "Captain Midnight":

en.wikipedia.org...

More here:

en.wikipedia.org...

Highly illegal, though - and from the sounds of it, it's a lot easier to get caught.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

If he did that in 1986, that signal probably was analog, while today most are digital.

Alos if you have a point to make, there is youtube for any videos you want out. So the public has plenty of video channels they can use.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Umm...

They do and did to great amusement i'll admit.

Check this out...

'Nuclear' TV hackers face trial

The thing to bear in mind is that hackers play with things, crackers break thing, and both groups live in their own worlds on the internet.

T.V. is a secondary concern that most cant be bothered with.
The link you see above you is an example of what happens when they do.

Absence.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by Absence of Self]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Absence of Self

Sky has not been hacked, in the uk. Tell me how sky, has not been hacked since it went digtal. No one, has yet hacked sky tv in the uk. If you have show me a link to the box, or news that it has.

I know other sat tv company boxes have, but not sky.

lol, at that nuclear tv thing, that may of made alot of people afraid. I suppose that could be the only way. But how many really would be watching a view of the mountains or whatever.

[edit on 4/20/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
lol.

Damn, Oops. Oh Hell.
I appear to have got myself into something of a pickle.

Original post eddited for typos.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Absence.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
That would be great. Someone should hack all the TV channels at the same time and show that video of Lesly Williams telling the truth about how the World bank is ruining our world.

CX

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Highly illegal, though - and from the sounds of it, it's a lot easier to get caught.

Isn't it ironic that whilst this is highly illegal, networks like Fox distribute false info and do it blatently.

Thanks for the replies guys.

CX.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I read an article once about a European new station (Swiss, possibly) having their video clips unknowingly edited by some rather brilliant artists. What the hacker-artists did was slide in a picture of an atomic explosion in the countryside when the station was showing the clip for the weather or something.

Of course a bunch of people called in asking what the hell was going on. The artists gave their reason something like, "We wanted to show how easy it is to fool people with the media by simple editing"

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Simply, theres no target... plus its not as easy as it used to be.

The networks I handle are for a Tier 2 telecom/isp company up here in Canada so the hardware being used is easily something like "nasa-level". With measures like rotating synchronized keys, secure vpn tunneling on top of multiple personal keys that are changed every week or two you can't just brute force your way in, the days of that kind of hacking is long over.

If you say organized a group of 100+ skilled network administrators (at least current CCIE level) and setup an attack on the DoD or NASA or the Pentagon, etc. You would require either inside help or you'd have to be damn good at phishing on a real world level. If you had someone inside, you could at least get yourself into the network on some level and from there I'm sure 100+ people could find a way to exploit their way up the chain of user rights. If you had no help you'd want to go phishing, and not in the email sense where you get redirected to a fake Paypal address scam. You'd call someone at NASA, pretend to be an administrator in the building and phish information from them over the phone with you people skills (biggest concern in the corporate world in terms of hacking attempts).

Or if you have balls walk in the front door with a fake tag and look for post-it notes on people PC's that have login info (also legit concern that does take place). Since passwords on secure networks are often letters, numbers and symbols, most everyone will write it down somewhere near by.

If you organize it, they will come... but no one has.

top topics

join