It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Law favouring male monarchs to be abolished

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Law favouring male monarchs to be abolished

news.scotsman.com

SWEEPING changes to the laws on succession to the throne will be pushed through by the Government, including ending the right of boys to take precedence over older sisters.
Vera Baird, the solicitor-general, who is to help steer a new equality law through the Commons, said last night the entrenched right of males to succeed to the throne ahead of their older sisters was "unfair" and "a load of rubbish".

She added: "I have always thought that what we have to do with the Royal Family is integrate them as far as possible into the human race."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Very interesting and about time the anti-Catholic law is removed from the British system.

But, the reform does not go far enough. Britain should be a republic. But, this will only happen if the Union ends because Scotland and England will not share the same Head of State in the 21st Century.

news.scotsman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I heard what you had to say on the Above Politics show, and I certainly agree with the changes on the male and female heirs to the throne.

I am not sure how changes can be made on a catholic being monarchy. The monarchy is head of the Church of England and is in direct competition with the Roman Catholic faith so how could a catholic be king or queen.

I am interested in the percentage of the UK people who favour a republic. 25% does seem very high.

And as Martin and you discussed, I will be long dead before the UK is a republic and I can not see any move to a republic that would not be without bloodshed.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Church of England might not be a problem..

Catholics set to pass Anglicans as leading UK church
Britain has become a "Catholic country"

Plus

Radical proposals to reunite Anglicans with the Roman Catholic Church under the leadership of the Pope are to be published this year, The Times has learnt.

The proposals have been agreed by senior bishops of both churches.

Church backs plan to unite under Pope

As I said, if the Union breaks up, you might see an increase support for a republic in England and Scotland, but we'll have to wait to see if the Union does indeed break up.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
There is zero chance of the Anglican church returning to rule by Rome. We still have a divided community here in the UK, with separate faith schools for Anglicans and Catholics.

I'd love it if the law could be changed so that Princess Anne could be the next Queen. She has done nothing to embarrass herself or the nation and would be a monarch in the style of her mother.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by labyrinth101

I have to agree with labyrinth101. There is no chance that the Church of England would return to be under the control of Rome. The Queen would have to agree to step down as head of the Church of England, and why would we she agree to that.

Now Princess Anne as queen. That I could see.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Apparently, this law will be discussed with all commonwealth realms, Where the British Crown is Head of State, and the succession laws changes in Britain will effect all realms.

The United Kingdom still has legal power in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, and Saint Kitts and Nevis when it comes to constitutional affairs relating to the Monarchy and succession rights.

For example, Australia will need an Act from the United Kingdom Parliament to confirm a republic if the crown is removed.

top topics

join