It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public pool bars father and son from its 'Muslim-only' swimming session

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Public pool bars father and son from its 'Muslim-only' swimming session

www.dailymail.co.uk

A father and his five-year-old son were turned away from their local swimming pool because they were the wrong religion.

David Toube, 39, and his son Harry were told that the Sunday morning session was reserved for Muslim men only.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It is good to see that society has come so far

Can we make Christians ride in the back of the bus now? Does this seem wrong to anyone else?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mr Toube joked: "I asked him whether Clissold Leisure Centre would institute Whites Only swimming for racists. His answer was that they would if there was sufficient demand."

At least they aren't particular about their segregation.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

i can just see how this will be used to bash us (Muslim bashing)
***** who run these comapnies go to Far and in the end they make things worse.

Muslim only swimming sessions what a joke

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I hope you don't take my post as bashing Muslims. I am only trying to bash segregation.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   

His explanation was that it was a requirement of the Muslim religion that Muslims could not swim with non-Muslims.

This of course has been proved wrong. There is no such requirement apparently.

However the intentions of the staff at the pool is blatantly clear. They sought to institute a muslims-only policy for some reason and are now attempting to cover it up by shifting blame endlessly until the public "forget".

As previous posters have said, I wonder how big an issue this would have been hyped up to be if this was a case of a muslim walking into the public, taxpayer funded swimming pool and being denied entry on account of a "BNP-only" swimming session.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This was a public pool that our tax dollars payed for. I think it's totally wrong and should never happen again. Can the public do anything about this? If they want to swim in a Muslim only session then they need to buy their own pool and set it up off public property, then they can swim all they want.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I can assure you that your "tax dollars" are not used to pay for public swimming pools in Hackney, London! Still, I agree that this was a wrong decision and I hope that sense will prevail.

I could almost have understood if it had been a session for Muslim ladies to swim without men present, but our local pool is not able to offer totally separate ladies swim sessions anymore as it is sexist.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Yep.... grand ole' religious biggotry.

We should all now agree that we are the crowning achievement of the GodHead.

I think this might just be an attempt to rouse hostility towards Muslims... but I'm not sure how groups of Muslims behave. Is it normal for Muslims to be so exclusive like that?

I haven't studied much about Islam.

Honestly, I know one thing about religion, and that's enough for me.... but seriously, I'd like to know if this is normal behaviour of those who follow Islam.

The media would sure want us to believe that Muslims are that way to an extreme... but hey what can I say to disagree? Religion builds fanaticism and biggotry in a feeble mind, and the majority of all religions are feeble minds.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
the muslims did not ask for the segregation.....the story says so (at the bottom, after the sensationalism, of course)

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

that wasnt aimed at you

it was more aimed in general to some crowds that will jump on this opertunity to vent some anger.

exactly soul. there is no such requirement. when i go down westmister lodge i dont ask everyone to get hell out so i can do a few laps even so it would be nice if i didnt have 6 year olds going in my way lol.

unless its a Womans only session where Muslim women can go to.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by labyrinth101
I can assure you that your "tax dollars" are not used to pay for public swimming pools in Hackney, London!

What lies...

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
44soulslayer posted on 20-4-2008 at 11:08 AM

I can assure you that your "tax dollars" are not used to pay for public swimming pools in Hackney, London!

What lies...

Huh? 44soulslayer - please explain to me how you think I am lying? Do you really think that your taxes are sent to England to pay for our local authorities spending? We pay taxes and a community charge here to cover these things.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by geek101
the muslims did not ask for the segregation.....the story says so (at the bottom, after the sensationalism, of course)

Sensationalism, as I suspected.

Rousing religious biggotry yet again.

Thank you for the clarification.

EDIT:

that's the problem with news in 30 second soundbytes. We're trained to hear or read the first few sentences, and then base our opinion on that.

If I were to base my opinion on a news soundbye, and I wasn't enlightened enough to question the source, I would certainly probably be like "Damn Muslims, plotting and schemeing in secret again!"

Hehe like Muslims are totally known for, and our own government is totally not known for.... or maybe it's the opposite... nah, I like my 30 second soundbyte plus lack of critical thinking a lot better.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by indierockalien]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Its PC gone mad, whilst we make laws that we have to obey the EM do what they like in many cases, take employment, the law says that you have to offer work to any person suitable for the job but how many white people do you see working in asian restaurants or take away's or any asian business come to that.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

Who'd want too, seriously?

Where I work, there is one black guy, one Chinese guy and an Indian chap. The rest (some 20 odd) are White, albeit a couple are Europeans. A nice balance of the racial make up, if you ask me.

As for this story, not sure what to make of it. It's typical Local Authority pandering to a problem that doesn't exist, such as the whole Christmas decorations thing we get every year in some areas.

I would assume that this White father and son could sue the council under racial/religious discrimination Laws? I think he should.

The only reason why councils feel the need to do these things is because they fear reprisal or complaint from ethnics, but don't fear the White majority.

If every time they did something stupid like this an British person sued them, then we would hear alot less.

Typical English attitude though, we will complain till the cows come home, but we don't do bugger all about it until we're pushed too far, by then it's too late.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This story doesn't make sense to me...

This is a public pool. I do understand some public services like this in the USA also rent out their facilities, and I'm not oo keen on that idea either. It doesn't make sense for a public asset to go to the highest bidder. But that aside, the area at least should have been partitioned off with a thorough explanation as to why well posted.

I have no knowledge of the Koran or of Muslim faith, so I will have to bow to the reports cited (or to our own expert, bodrul
Glad you're here for this) for any info on that, but all reports seem to be that there is no religious prohibition to religious intermingling in this case. This is at odds with what the man was told by the staff.

By all indicators I see, the staff members are at fault here, and should be very thankful I am not in charge of them. I would fire them in an instant, if nothing else, for attempting to abuse the usage of a public area. I have seen similar attitudes many times; a caretaker deems the public facility he is charged with as his own property. Such a cancer must be eradicated when found. These people are servants of the public, and servants do not lead.

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

What lies...

Huh? 44soulslayer - please explain to me how you think I am lying? Do you really think that your taxes are sent to England to pay for our local authorities spending? We pay taxes and a community charge here to cover these things.

Income tax is taken in by the government, then redistributed amongst the nations by the Barnett formula. The governmental authorities of each nation (England doesnt have one), send "federally" directed funds to local councils to fund such things as pools, play centres etc etc.

Otherwise the rich areas would get all the good amenities and the inner cities would get diddly squat because their taxation revenues from council tax are close to nothing.

You are under the illusion that council tax pays for swimming pools, I presume? Council tax pays for only the bare minimum such as garbage collection, town hall financing etc.

Anything that is deemed a public building has been paid for in part by me, as a taxpayer (albeit forced into it). I should never be denied entry into a public institution that I have paid for on account of another person (who may or may not have contributed to the funding) not wanting me there.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

What lies...

Income tax is taken in by the government, then redistributed amongst the nations by the Barnett formula. The governmental authorities of each nation (England doesnt have one), send "federally" directed funds to local councils to fund such things as pools, play centres etc etc.

Otherwise the rich areas would get all the good amenities and the inner cities would get diddly squat because their taxation revenues from council tax are close to nothing.

You are under the illusion that council tax pays for swimming pools, I presume? Council tax pays for only the bare minimum such as garbage collection, town hall financing etc.

Anything that is deemed a public building has been paid for in part by me, as a taxpayer (albeit forced into it). I should never be denied entry into a public institution that I have paid for on account of another person (who may or may not have contributed to the funding) not wanting me there.

I believe I can clear this up for you 44. The guy thqt Labrynth was responding too by stating that his tax dollars did not pay for the pool is from the USA. Therefore his tax dollars would not be paying for a public pool in England.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It would have been a good day to break out the video cam.

"Tell me again why we can't swim."

We had a Muslim day at the local Great America, and everyone else was allowed to go as well. In general everyone was nice and friendly.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Edit:

In retrospect, it seems like Labyrinth was talking to SolarSkye instead of me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

[edit on 20-4-2008 by 44soulslayer]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join