It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what was the greatest hoax ever?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
What do you think was the most enduring/greatest hoax perpetrated in history. One that caused the most damage, effected the most people etc....

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by drock905

I just spent the last half-hour composing a reply, drock. Best as I can tell, the palm of my hand hit the Ctrl key as I was wrapping up my post. It all disappeared.

As soon as the steam coming out of ears subsides, I'll concider re-typing my post.

Just didn't want you to feel all alone out there.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Religion has fooled more people and effected more lives than any other hoax.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
While the above poster is correct it technically isn't a hoax but a believe.

Billy Meyers still has people fooled and that SoB is getting away with it, he is making the UFOlogist look like fools and ofcourse he blaims it on MIB's.

If he can prove to us anything about his claims I will retract this statement.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
IMHO I beg to differ....Religion in all of it's glory, is the biggest hoax of all times, that has affected the MOST people on the planet, bar none.

GrOuNd_ZeRo - It may be a "belief" as you say, that, however doesn't negate the far reaching affects it's had on our people and planet. Religion is organized, a money-making business, separate from what you call a "belief."

More wars have been fought over this "belief", more countries taken over, more people murdered, more people enslaved literally and figuratively then any other hoax that we know of. Homicide, genocide, raping, pillaging, looting all in the name of "religion"....I vote for that as being the biggest hoax ever, by far
Great thread!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
More wars have been fought over this "belief", more countries taken over, more people murdered, more people enslaved literally and figuratively then any other hoax that we know of. Homicide, genocide, raping, pillaging, looting all in the name of "religion"....I vote for that as being the biggest hoax ever, by far
Great thread!

Really? I'd vote the belief that rocks (like gold or diamonds or coal) and sludge (like oil) have intrinsic value has caused more harm than "religion"

[edit on 21-4-2008 by _Del_]

[edit on 21-4-2008 by _Del_]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Moon Landing, hands down.

religion is technically not a hoax. If you want to call it a scam or a sham, that's fine. But religion is not a hoax.

[edit on 4/21/2008 by JPhish]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
hmmmm i dont know if i would consider religion technically a hoax either. IMHO i think a man who was killed, buried came back to life and ascended to heaven is a hoax, but the whole idea (a simplified one) of religion is basically a just a justificaion for people not to be jerks to each other

religion got me thinking of a good one though, how about the
visions and the Three secrets of Fatima?

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
That Shroud of Turin seems to still kick up a lot of fuss many centuries after it was created. It definitely demonstrates how desperately people want their foolish beliefs to be true.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I think it would have to be AL BELIK the "Survivor" of the PHILADELPHIA EXPERIMENT.

Listening to his video's on You Tube, he dose sound convincing at first, but when you actually listen to it, you can hear the hesitation in his voice on some topics almost like hes trying to think how to answer the question and keep up with the lie.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Us thinking we live in a physical reality, when its really just a bunch of electricity and ideas.

Its a hoax, because the ancients knew it, and we are just as of late remembering it.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Hey Op,
define Hoax for this thread so that we don't have to explain to every religion basher and bible thumper that religion is not a hoax.

We American's are living the greatest "hoax" in history. "America, land of the free." That my friends is a cruel hoax. uhh, "by the people for the people." I include that too, obviously.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
Hey Op,
define Hoax for this thread so that we don't have to explain to every religion basher and bible thumper that religion is not a hoax.

No, it's not technically a hoax. Generally, a hoax is something where evidence is purposely faked but purported to be real. Religion is just believing in a lot of stories because they sound good, with nothing to back up those stories but "faith." Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead isn't a hoax, it's just a story people believe is true because it sounds good.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Gots to be George W. Bush

He fool a whole Nation (and a bunch of countries)

Thats the ticket!!

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It's not really the biggest or best... But it really does deserve a mention.

The war of the worlds radio broadcast.

^^ part one ^^

part 2 part 3 part 4 part 5 part 6 part 7

Mind you calling it a hoax could be difficult - Orson was a famous for his radio plays - you could argue that the misunderstanding was unintentional - but then again if you missed the intro's then...

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It's the one that only a very few know about but will not speak of.

Everyone is part of it, but you do not realize it.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think the pharmaceutical companies are a big hoax and have most the world dependant on drugs to help them when all they need to do is help themselves. Here take these diet pills it will help you lose weight. Or here take these for your high blood pressure. You have way to much energy so here take this pill a chill. If you got problems we got the pill. People need to eat good foods, exercise and educate themselfs on how to live a healthly life style without popping those pills. My mother took so many pills a day that I couldn't count them and all because her Doctor told her to.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
no, seriously, I would like the Op to define hoax for purposes of this thread. For example---George Bush is not a hoax, he believes his smack, and if he doesn't then he is a fraud.....speaking of fraud, that is what the pharms are....they are frauds, there is no hoax there. these big corporations are real and they are in the business of convincing you that you are sick and need them...no hoax.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Don't know about the OP, this definitionworks for me...

n.
1. An act intended to deceive or trick.
2. Something that has been established or accepted by fraudulent means.
(American Heritage Dictionary)

there are other definitions on that page I linked.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
I think the pharmaceutical companies are a big hoax and have most the world dependant on drugs to help them when all they need to do is help themselves. Here take these diet pills it will help you lose weight. Or here take these for your high blood pressure. You have way to much energy so here take this pill a chill. If you got problems we got the pill. People need to eat good foods, exercise and educate themselfs on how to live a healthly life style without popping those pills. My mother took so many pills a day that I couldn't count them and all because her Doctor told her to.

I think that would fall more under the definition of "scam" than "hoax".
Hoax:
An act intended to deceive or trick.
Something that has been established or accepted by fraudulent means.

Scam:
A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.
tr.v., scammed, scam·ming, scams.
To defraud; swindle.

Perhaps one of the great urban legends woud qualify:
www.snopes.com...

[edit on 22-4-2008 by FosterVS]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join