It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States move to ban hallucinogen salvia

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
here is a nice compiled time line for the plant in question

Unknown
Salvia divinorum may have a long history of use in divination and healing ceremonies in Central America, but how far back its history goes is unknown. [Details]

Jean B. Johnson reports learning of a Mazatec tea made from the beaten leaves of a "hierba Maria", and used for divination. 1

Blas Pablo Reko reports a "magic plant" called “hoja de adivinación” (leaf of prophecy), used by Cuicatecs and Mazatecs to produce visions. It was probably S. divinorum. 1

Roberto Weitlaner reports a "yerba de María" in Oaxaca. It is said to be used by curanderos (shamans or healers). 2

Mexican botanist A. Gómez Pompa collects specimens of a hallucinogenic Salvia plant he describes as "xka [sic] Pastora". His specimens cannot be identified at the species level. 3

R. Gordon Wasson collects samples of S. divinorum, but they are inadequate for botanical identification. 4 [Details]

Jul 12, 1961
Wasson ingests S. divinorum, and experiences effects. 4

Jun 1962
Sterling Bunnel brings the first live S. divinorum plants to the United States from Huautla de Jiménez. Cuttings from this sample are widely-propagated and are commonly available to this day. 5 [Details]

Oct 9, 1962
Wasson and Anita Hofmann, wife of Albert Hofmann, ingest juice of S. divinorum in a ceremony conducted by curandera Maria Sabina. 6

Dec 1962
Wasson and Hofmann collect flowering samples for identification. Carl Epling and colleagues identify it as a novel species and give it the name "Salvia divinorum". 7

Wasson tentatively proposes S. divinorum as a candidate for the unidentified Aztec plant sacrament "pipiltzintzinli". If correct, this widely-contested hypothesis would imply a long history of cultivation and use. 8

Ott and Diaz contemporaneously observe persons smoking dried S. divinorum leaves in Mexico City. There is no known report of S. divinorum being smoked prior to this time, and it appears to be a novel use of the plant. 6

Ortega et al. publish a paper describing their isolation of a novel compound from S. divinorum, which they call salvinorin. 9

Valdes et al. identify two S. divinorum derivatives which they call divinorin A and B. Divinorin A is found to be identical to the Ortega's salvinorin, so the compounds are re-named salvinorin A and B. 10

Siebert sponsors investigation into several possible mechanisms of action for salvinorin A, but finds no evidence that it interacts with any of a few dozen common neurotransmitters and peptides. Several possibilities are eliminated, but its mechanisms of action remain unknown. 11

Late 1990s
Salvia becomes available commercially online and its public visibility dramatically increases.

Roth et al. report that salvinorin A is a highly-selective kappa-opioid agonist, solving the long mystery of its site of action. 12 [Details]

Aug 2005
Louisiana becomes the first state in the US to ban human consumption of S. divinorum. Several other states follow suit.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I once purchased an entirely legal amount of x20 salvia...

I smoked it in a pipe and it did absolutely nothing.

Now some of you will consider that a call to smoke salvia, but i can honestly say it didn't work.

Don't bother...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

You said the same as someone earlier on in this thread, just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't for anyone else....

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
if you read the chunk of info i put in a few posts back, you will understand why some people have effects and outhers dont some mild some extreme. the information regarding this is waiting to be read and you will under stand why u may have not had any reactions the first time u used it. to say it is a waste of time is a little rash for only having tryed it once possibly not even in right way. iid recommend resurching then experimenting.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

you have to smoke it properly, I tried it the first time didn't work either because I smoked it in a pipe. You can't really smoke it in pipe, have to get a huge bong fill it all up and take it in one toke and keep it in for about 10 sec. then you'll start your journey!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

Actually my partner and I smoked it in a pipe with a regular bic lighter with spectacular results. It's just that you have to be more careful to keep the hottest part of the flame on the leaves while you inhale hard and try to hold it in as long as possible. It feels pretty harsh on the lungs but it does work quite well.

I agree bad smoking technique is a huge contributor to people not getting enough dosage to experience anything though.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
WoW

In those Youtube videos it looks like the "sitter" is having more fun than the user. I would never take something that made me completely retarded to the point where I need a "sitter" for 5 min.

If someone had done to me what was done to some of the people in the videos I would be stomping some asses.

Its not cool to give someone something like that and then film them while they are retarded and laugh. It looked as if most of them had no clue of what was about to be dropped on them.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well, i'm gettin on in years
and at this stage of the game, shoot, what with all the good news everyday, lies, etc, i could probably be pursuaded into ordering something totally crazy.

Dont do drugs
Drugs fry your brains
The Government wants a clean brain so their stuff they send will penetrate and you will absorb orders better.

Remember: there's a war on drugs.

Do not do drugs. Drugs (alcohol not included) mess ya up real bad so do the right thing and just drink "responsibly"

Bring a designated driver who will not get as drunk as you at the party.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

Originally posted by DirtyPete
To tell me that I don't have the god given RIGHT to put whatever I want in my OWN body then you're the one who is wrong.

There are folks running around thinking they have a god given right to blow themselves and innocent people up too - is God really a valid justification for anything? No.

Expanding my consciousness and view of reality by experimenting with psychoactive chemicals does not hurt anyone. To compare using a substance on myself and mass murder is pretty silly and shows how close minded you truly are.

The funny thing is people like you who claim to be a "Spiritual Conservative" most likely have no grasp on the meaning of true spirituality, and trust me your ignorance emits heavily through your ridiculous posts.

Originally posted by DirtyPete
I don't have children, but if I had a son or daughter who was 18 and wanted to use Salva responsibly I would definately encourage it

You expose alot here about yourself and your views. Anyone who would 'definitely encourage' their child to take drugs makes a pretty bad parent by any standards.

All in all, you druggies show a clear absense of common sense. Expectable, really.

Educating about responsible use of substances like Salvinorin A is important. Why would I condemn it? Just so they can go out and use it irresponsibly like the schmucks in those youtube videos?

Salvia is one of those things that shouldn't be viewed as something to get "wasted" with. It should be respected and viewed as a spiritual journey, a way to view reality outside the box if you will. It is clear that as much as you may claim to be spiritual, you really have no idea.

People like you make me sick. I feel bad for you really, I suppose it's not your fault you're so brainwashed and ignorant. Go have another beer

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
wow - just wow , judging by certain responses - i guess ` states rights ` is only meaningful when the state is doing something you agree with

absolutly priceless

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Salvia is the most remarkable natural substances I've ever encountered on Earth. It opens up an unimaginable perception that simply can't be explained. It's a red pill experience. And, it is not a recreational substance, and you can't even use it as such. I have considerable experience with this plant, and have even written and posted detailed instructions on how to properly use it. (i.e. you must use it in a sensory deprived like environment, little or no light, no noise, absolutely no distractions, etc). It's nothing you will derive any benefit from by trying if you do it sitting in a chair with the television and lights on with all your friends watching. In any case, doesn't matter if it becomes illegal or not, as I have no respect for MANS law anyhow and I'll continue to do as I freaking please. No other freaking human is the dictator boss of me. I chop off dictator heads. I am not a sheople.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by Divinorumus]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I think we should ban nutmeg too...if you take enough you can trip severely and look stupid to others....serious threats were talking about to society...lol.

Why don't we stop selling dust off, because some people huff it...and it makes them stupid looking for 5 mins....lol

And throw in that law, glue, paint, adhesives and anything else with a label reading do not inhale (use in a well ventilated area)

I think that the government has lost track of what freedom stands for, ever read the book "The Brave New World"...This is exactly what were headed for people...weather its martial law or just a totally controlled and regulated society our freedoms are taken away daily..

If people are going to do things there going to do it...no matter if you regulate it or not....

QUESTION:
How many Americans use alcohol??? How many people a year are killed from drunk driving accidents? (Alcohol, LEGAL but regulated lightly)

ANSWER:
-"There are approximately 79,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year in the United States (1). This makes excessive alcohol use the 3rd leading lifestyle-related cause of death for the nation (2). In the single year 2005, there were over 1.6 million hospitalizations (3) and over 4 million emergency room visits (4) for alcohol-related conditions."

www.cdc.gov...

QUESTION:
How many Pounds of Weed are smoked per day in the US??? How many people have ever died from Marijuana usage??? (ILLEGAL in most states)

ANSWER:
-"During 2006, 1,115,710 kilograms of marijuana were seized along the Southwest Border"
-"Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program (DCE/SP) data indicate that a total of 5,231,658 marijuana plants were seized in the U.S. during 2006"
www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov...

Marijuana Induced Deaths by Year (1979 - 2002)
Year Cannabis Deaths All Deaths Past Year Users % of Users % of All Deaths
1992 2 2,175,613 16,322,000 0.0000123 0.0000919
1993 1 2,268,553 17,510,000 0.0000057 0.0000441
1994 2 2,278,994 17,813,000 0.0000112 0.0000877
1995 0 2,312,132 17,755,000 0 0
1996 3 2,314,690 18,398,000 0.0000163 0.0001296
1997 1 2,314,245 19,446,000 0.0000051 0.0000432
1998 6 2,337,256 18,710,000 0.0000321 0.0002567
1999 5 2,391,399 19,102,000 0.0000262 0.0002091
2000 3 2,403,351 18,589,000 0.0000161 0.0001248
2001 3 2,416,425 21,086,000 0.0000143 0.0001241
2002 1 2,447,864 25,755,000 0.0000039 0.0000408

:from: www.briancbennett.com...

QUESTION:
How many stores you walk it per day sell cigarettes? How many people die per day from Cigarette side effects??? (LEGAL)

ANSWER:
-"Smoking is the number one cause of preventable death in the U.S., with 430,000 deaths per year attributed to smoking"
www.epa.gov/radiation/sources/tobacco.html

THE TWO HIGHEST KILLERS OUT OF THIS LIST ARE LEGAL.....

OH YEAH....HEARS ANOTHER THAT TOPS THE CHARTS...

"Fried learned that well over 100,000 Americans die every year from adverse reactions to prescription drugs and that drug side effects are a leading cause of death in the U.S. (See “The FDA’s Skewed Policies,” this issue, pp 104 - 105.) "
www.lightparty.com...

(LEGAL if PERSCRIBED)

and about salvia
-"Although the Chidester story has been given continued exposure by US media, there has not been anywhere else, either before or since this controversial incident, any other reported cases involving or alleging Salvia divinorum as a serious factor in suicide, overdose, accidental, or any other kind of death. The extent and significance of Brett’s use of alcohol is a matter of debate, but for his demographic, more than 1,700 college students in the U.S. are killed each year as a result of alcohol-related injuries.[67]

en.wikipedia.org...

Whats really going on here???

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

its best to use it in "water pipe" with a butane lighter. and you have to hold the smoke in for 30 seconds.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Like i said. Dont waste your time banning Salvia. there is nothing wrong with it. just like there is 100% nothing wrong with Cannabis!!

[edit on 1-5-2008 by anti us gov]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Certain states have legislated responsibly and enacted laws that merely prohibit the sale to, or possession of this plant by, minors --an

understandable precaution given the potential for extraneous stimuli of such magnitude to further exacerbate and complicate the

difficulties of adolescent development, and given the susceptibility of the body and mind during this period. Some states however,like

Illinois, have arrogantly decided that the legislature, apparently wielding some sort of transcendent authority, can toss even fully

developed adults into prison for choosing to experiment with a naturally occuring substance in privacy.

Does due process exist at all in these proceedings? Any methodical and/or scientific research exploring the possible negative

physiological or behavioral effects of Salvia? There is no substantive basis for deciding to make possession of this plant an outright

felony, besides blunt zealotry. Heresay and ambiguity seem to be more than enough for these beady-eyed small-minded mucoids to

preemptively render such a profoundly oppressive judgement. Apparently just hearing rumors that a substance can make people see dancing

bears or talking mushrooms is enough to spook the poltical drones into crusading against it as though it were irrevocably a devious

mechanism of satan. Political majorities --particularly those affiliate in some way with the church-- continue a relentless harmful

assault on not only divergent beliefs, but seemingly upon the very right to be a minority in any sense.

The U.S.A. is gradually, and steadily subsiding into existance as yet another indistinguishable adolescent regime whereby personal

liberties and freedoms are taken and given arbitrarily to a mostly aquiescent populace by governing bodies composed of unpleasantly

ambitious short-sighted sycophants and corporate-political concubines acting not only as though they know what's best for everyone, but

as if they are charged with the divine duty of eradicating every minute trace of unpredictability, inconsistency and irregularity in

society --are we to become a land of mentally homogenized people?

How irresponsible of me not to want to impulsively surrender every last particle of personal freedom, privacy and individuality simply

because some heavily-panting confused idiot in a position of authority cries "For the children", or "September Eleventh".

In a sickeningly ironic sense, the concept of freedom in this country is perhaps the most psychologically and sociologically pervasive

influence simply because of how demoralizing it is when one finally realizes that all the starry-striped banners and rippling

red-white-and-blue flags sail over a hollow heavily-eroded promise. What America purports itself to be --the slogans this country uses to

sell its brand of nationhood-- is little more than a time-honored scam, and heavily at odds with reality. It would perhaps be more humane

if children were raised to believe at an early age that an American concept of life is that of branded cattle steadily chewing cud,

blissfully unaware of fate --happily plodding through any narrow gap in the fence. Now that would truly be a practical education!

Salvia Divinorum has become yet another symbol of the fear those who have, and seek to maintain control over others, feel towards the

prospect of losing that dominion. It has become a casualty of frivolous unfocused political kinesis.

Unfortunately, the stark truth is that the U.S. is no different than any other place in the world where people gather and live together

in large groups for a significant length of time. This nation may have been founded by upstarts, but evidently that does not provide a

spec of immunity to the vices that permeate every pocket of humanity known to exist. Even after a revolution, or some kind of

tumultuousness, has ended and a new, or altered civil structure has become cemented, the consciousness of the community still eventually

relapses into a latent bare state...subject to all the same old human tendencies, motives, and influences so dependably and predictably

to the point that any byproduct of temporary change eventually comes to uncannily resemble a synthesis of that which it sprang forth

from, or was a result of. Universally, For example: The selfish will always seek to dominate the selfless, Greed and inequality both

inherent and produced, breeds envy and frustration, Those who value and accumulate material wealth are commonly so consumed and

singularly motivated by the need to shield and preserve their hoards, that any power they wield becomes blindly aimed at self-interest.

This country is only a periodically varying degree measurement on a scale of human commonality. Ignorance and intolerance propagate just

as easily in the U.S. as it does in any place in the world.

When I look, and see yet another impunitive legislative beauracracy trying to sever plausible avenues to conscious and unconscious

awareness by spitefully demonizing an innocent product of nature, and cutting off access to things that by birth we all have the right to

explore and experience, it sure makes it difficult to cough up the words: "land of the free, home of the brave"

I am thoroughly appalled and disgusted by how difficult these morons have made it for the average person to experience such incredible

things, such as Salvia, repeatedly throughout history due plainly to their own ignorance and the absence of any significant desire to

accept or understand anything foreign to their own monotonous life experiences. While the preceeding paragraphs have been generally

gloomy, contrary to my overall nature, how can I react positively in any way to some irresponsible misinformed scheming politician or

monolithic marauding political entity that adheres tightly to the goal of continuously aspiring to blindly seal off access to nature's

treasures in an effort to suit their own narrow-minded interests?

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
i am going to go back and read all replys after i make this one...i knew it was only a matter of time before the law got involved. i guess i better run out and get some extract while it is still legal.
salvia is one hell of a trip thats for sure and i think it should remain totally legal

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
So many people paint things with a broad brush. Few people choose to go beyond they surface. I see so much assumption.

One view which I see as uninformed:
"Ban it all! Drugs are dangerous!" Yet they drink alcohol and then take an ambien to get to sleep when they cannot.

So many people don't do the math and believe everything they are told by the "authorities."

I would suggest that if you are one of the people who is afraid of drugs and think that they are for weak minded individuals, then perhaps you should take a good long look in the mirror and ask yourself how drugs are involved in your every day life.

Think. it is one of the few things they cannot take from you...yet.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Can't say I didn't see this one coming. Salvia's some pretty potent stuff.

It is terribly distressing how irresponsible youg people can be, though.
Clever enough to find trouble, but stupid enough to get into it.

I should trust that an open and honest debate took place to come to the conclusion that the devine plant should be legally controlled.
The way I see it, it's not so much that the plant needs to be controlled, but the user.

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Well first off i would like to say that i personally do not think salvia should be banned. Your friend may have made a fool of himself, but i have seen drunk people do some stupid things. So why don't we ban alcohol? We just need to put limitations on it like we did alcohol. No driving, no public intoxication, ect.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join