It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States move to ban hallucinogen salvia

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Pharmaceuticals, tobacco, and alcohol are all far more dangerous than salvia, heroin, coc aine, and cannabis COMBINED.

Heroin and coc aine included? I'm speechless at the utter stupidity of this one, buddy.

Originally posted by freighttrain
I have been using Salvia and '___' for a while now ... A sense of love and peace, a unique perspective on life which I could have not even imagined before!

Your dependence on drugs for these feelings is pitiful at best.

Originally posted by deadline527
Have you ever seen someone die from taking too much TYLENOL?

With alcohol, it is sometimes used as a suicide method. However, we are not talking about a painkiller here.

Originally posted by DirtyPete
To tell me that I don't have the god given RIGHT to put whatever I want in my OWN body then you're the one who is wrong.

There are folks running around thinking they have a god given right to blow themselves and innocent people up too - is God really a valid justification for anything? No.

Originally posted by DirtyPete
I don't have children, but if I had a son or daughter who was 18 and wanted to use Salva responsibly I would definately encourage it

You expose alot here about yourself and your views. Anyone who would 'definitely encourage' their child to take drugs makes a pretty bad parent by any standards.

All in all, you druggies show a clear absense of common sense. Expectable, really.

[edit on 2008/4/20 by SteveR]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I just tried it........It was like being on a 3 minute mexican carnival ride! I laughed my A** Off! Diddnt see a shaman...

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
well i've never heard of this stuff before tonight and it was really interesting to see all of the posts. i've looked up salvia an it doesn't seem so bad at all. I would try this before a prescription to anything. The only drug i use unfortunately is "tobacco" and its a bitch to quit. i see nowhere that this is addictive in any web site i check out. its natural [unlike processed cigarettes] which is more like free based tobacco sprayed on some type of paper and shredded. i also found this on wikipedia that i found interesting.

Salvia divinorum has become increasingly well-known and more widely available in modern culture. The rise of the Internet since the 1990s has seen the growth of many businesses selling live salvia plants, dried leaves, extracts, and other preparations. During this time medical experts and accident and emergency rooms have not been reporting cases that suggest particular health concerns, and police have not been reporting it as a significant issue with regard to public order offences. Yet Salvia divinorum has attracted increasing attention from the media and some lawmakers.

en.wikipedia.org...

i also many years ago in high school did a comparison of tobacco and alcoholic drink vs. marijuana and by far the legal poison is far worse but socially exceptable there for seams better by folks who don't know. i chose not to do any other drugs and feel it is not my business to tell you what should go in yours be it alcohol or crack. But stay in your home and dont kill others while you attempt to leave reality for a while.

i love how it says that emergency rooms and cops aren't reporting any issues from this yet the LAW MAKERS are all over this... i guess in our best interest we should just except those suits know better.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by mrRviewer]

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Mungo is feeling like goose here.

I have never in my 40 odd years even heard about this erb.

Just goes to show you eh !!

Im an Aussie , and been around the traps but not ever once do I recall anyone speaking of this.
So....... off to the pub to do some research.

Cheers

Mungo

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR

Originally posted by freighttrain
I have been using Salvia and '___' for a while now ... A sense of love and peace, a unique perspective on life which I could have not even imagined before!

Your dependence on drugs for these feelings is pitiful at best.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your incapable of understand this and so your shallow judgment doesn't mean much to me. Here's a thought though, before you judge people and what they consider to be a gift from the gods that created you and I, you might want to do a little study/research on the subject matter and maybe you'll realize that it is closed minded perspective that creates your idealism of what is good/bad.

These plants are being used world wide and has been used for thousands of years by Shamans, spritual healers to widen their understand of what we consider reality. It's funny to hear you judge thousands of years of civilization because this has not been a part of your lifestyle. Some are fearful of the unknown, I and many like me embrace it.

We has human beings are being conditioned since birth to see the world in another man's perspective by being dictated by our culture, religious, educational, political systems to create the idea of what is right/wrong. Some like sheep's follow that order, some peak out and discover a "true" meaning of life by reforming their "own" perspective by their "own" exploration.

I'm not "dependent" on these plants, I "choose" to use them as a "tool" to be able to tap into another reality to educate myself on what this world has to offer. You can use a hammer to build a house, or you can use to destroy one, it is in the eyes of the beholder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower Hold infinity in the palms of your hand and eternity in an hour."

“I myself do nothing. The Holy Spirit accomplishes all through me.”

“I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's.”

“You never know what is enough unless you know more than enough.”

William Blake

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by freighttrain

Okay. I'll make it simpler for you. You didn't discover that sense of "love and peace" until you took the drug. You haven't experienced it outside of the drug, and you think you need the drug to attain it. That is what's sad my friend.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Again, before you "assume" what you think I am experiencing maybe "ask me first", hear me out, then "judge" if you may. I feel peace/love at all times, I feel very connected to my source. What I said earlier is that you feel a different feelings of peace/love which is beyond anything you can possibly experience with your five senses. It is an altered state of mind, not just an emotion. A sense of unity with the universe which you can only read about in books.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Banning Salvia is a waste of time. I have used it with my friends. It was alot of fun. stop banning things its unconstitutional. It is a harmless natural plant like weed. which btw every single human being in the world has brain receptors for pot. our founding fathers smoked it grew it and wore it. pot was money back then. The government only wants one drug legal that messes u up. and that drug is........Alcohol. Alcohol is dangerous,unhealthy, and kills. how many ppl die every year from pot...zero 00000 none. how many die from an herb...zero. there is nothing wrong with salvia. b4 u talk down on the plant maybe u should try it first.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I just did salvia last month, after seeing the RIDICULOUS videos on youtube. My 'experience' was NOTHING like theirs.

This is a lot of nonsense. It did not make me go crazy or laugh uncontrollably. It was a very boring drug and way too expensive for the experience.

Lawmakers will jump on nonsense legislation like this to trick their constituents into not focusing on what they ARENT doing for yall.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I've found a web site with information showing several major causes of death in the United States, and how many people died from them. I went looking for this to see if there was any truth to the claim that alcohol and tobacco cause more deaths than all the illegal drugs combined.

Tobacco: 435,000
Alcohol: 85,000
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs: 32,000
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin: 7,600

All illicit drug use: 17,000

Source

The major problem with this site is that the numbers are taken from different years, however, the gap between illegal drugs and legal drugs is still so VAST that the point still stands.

For the record, are we going to pass laws requiring people to eat healthy and exercise?

Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity: 365,000

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

its cost alot of money. when i bought it, it cost me $60 for 1/2 of gram of it. 132 extracted.. it made me laugh uncontrollably and then i saw my friend turn into a race car and started racing on the race track under my bed. in reality she was for some reason crawling under my bed. i have this blacklight poster with an alien with some mushrooms and she told me that alien was talking to her and showed her a spaceship. hahahahaha. this is no reason to ban it. its fun. and to buy salvia you have to be 18 will at least where i live. they sell them in head shops which u have to be 18 to go into.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm starting to wonder how many of the 9/11 was an inside job, humans are driving global warming, and Bush is a reptillian theories were inspired while the theorist was tripping on Salvia...

Anyway, I'm always amused when people use probabillity and odds as a defense for their illicit drug use. "You're 24 times more likely to die from smoking tobacco than from all narcotic use, maaaaan!" Whoopy! Consider that there are more than 100 times the number of people who are tobacco users vs heroin, crack, or any other drug sans pot you can come up with and suddenly that "24X as likely" figure, when adjusted for inflation, becomes "You're actually 4+ times more likely to die from illicit drug use compared to tobacco use." Pretty dramatic shift, huh?

Why do I rejoice when this crap is banned? I have two reasons and both of them are at home right now (hopefully behaving for their mother!) My son is almost 2 and my daughter is 4 months old. You can say "but you have to be 18 to purchse it" all you want and it will have no impact on me whatsoever in this argument. Look at how well the age limit on tobacco and alcohol has kept children from drinking and smoking. They had the age limit 17 years ago when I started high school and it sure had an effect on me. I was 14 when I started chewing tobacco and smoking, and I never once went without because it was extremely easy to have a friend's older brother, sister, or even parent run in and buy me a can of snuff or a pack of reds. Times haven't changed. Illegalizing drugs doesn't lead to more drug users. Drug laws may not be perfect and enforcement may not be as effective as it should be, but the fact remains it DOES reduce the number of users. It makes drugs more expensive and more risky to purchase and thanks to that it means parents do have a fighting chance of keeping their kids away from drugs. I believe 100% in my childrens' futures, but I also know about peer pressure and how when you're a teenager you feel 10 foot tall and bulletproof. Maybe if crap like this Salvia are more difficult for them to obtain it will give them a chance to actually weigh the benefits (following the crowd and "looking cool") vs the costs of it (keeping their head out of the clouds and maybe having to find some friends who aren't losers at life.)

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

kids still drink and smoke cigs. parents dont care anymore and are letting their kids drink. dont ban salvia. its a waste of time and money.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by anti us gov
reply to post by burdman30ott6

kids still drink and smoke cigs. parents dont care anymore and are letting their kids drink. dont ban salvia. its a waste of time and money.

Thank you for making my point for me! Kids do still drink and smoke because it is perfectly legal for someone over the age of 18 or 21 to purchase tobacco and alcohol, which then finds its way into kid's hands all too easily. The same will be true for salvia unless it is made totally illegal. Will some kids still gain access to it after it is banned? Of course... just like some kids get ahold of pot and other illegal drugs. But considering far, far more kids drink and smoke than shoot heroin or drop acid, I think it's clear that drug laws do some good where preventing kids from getting the drugs is concerned.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
100 times more people smoke and drink than use all other illegal drugs combined huh?

Care to prove it?

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
100 times more people smoke and drink than use all other illegal drugs combined huh?

Care to prove it?

I'm not exactly sure that I can prove that figure in any reliable manner, to be honest. I can try, however. I'm not including marijuanna in this argument because it isn't a drug that can kill you with one usage (unless it's laced with something) and it really can't be compared with tobacco as far as cancer goes. A smoker may smoke a couple packs a day, I'm not even sure a human being could operate, let alone keep pace day after day, if they were smoking 20-40 joints a day. So keeping it with narcotics vs tobacco...

bbsnews.net...

There are between 45,000,000 and 62,000,000 tobacco users in the US by CDC estimates(1) and 104,000,000 Americans use alcohol(2). The Institute of Medicine report, the one that shot down the gateway theory you are trying to revive, reported in March 1999, "In the sense that marijuana use typically precedes rather than follows initiation of other illicit drug use, it is indeed a "gateway" drug. But because underage smoking and alcohol use typically precede marijuana use, marijuana is not the most common, and is rarely the first, "gateway" to illicit drug use. There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs(3)."

There are about 14,000,000 users of currently illicit drugs in the US. About 6 out of ten of them use marijuana only; for a total of about 8,400,000 American marijuana consumers(4).

14,000,000-8,400,000 = 5.6 million illicit narcotic users in America who use something other than just pot.

5.6 million x 100 = 560 million.

OK, I was wrong, change my original statement to 10 times, which falls into the 46-62 million tobacco users range. If you want to add alcohol into the equation, then you can change it to roughly 30 times. I do not know if this all includes casual smokers or not. I do know, however, that there are plenty of drugs out there that can cause you to have a heart attack or stroke with just one use. We also don't know how many of the deaths attributed to smoking and/or alcohol were also in some manner drug related. Generally speaking, tobacco death numbers were inflated, with many deaths being attributed to tobacco when some other factor (such as eating 5 Big Macs a day) played equally important roles. If need be, I'll find a link that disucsses how the CDC has a history of fudging numbers to help them in their pet crusades.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

I agree with you 100%. And I hope that we never colonize space (if we haven't already) and mess it up like we have Mother Earth. But let's not derail this thread and stay on the topic of Salvia Divinorum.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Whenever I have tried salvia (legal in my state), I do lose perception of my immediate surroundings, but I dont see wierd things like others report. I just feel like I am in a void and am trying to break out? I dont feel enlightened or connected to the creator at all. I am leaning on the belief that those who say this are making it up to hide their dependance.

I stopped after 5 uses, cuz it had the same effects everytime. I end up just feeling like i am in a void trying to break out, and then satisfied with my success after each time.

Just something I thought I would try, like the long list of other not so good things I would never do again for common sense purposes.

I'll just stick to taking a nice walk in the park or going for a swim for my entertainment thank you.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes

Just something I thought I would try, like the long list of other not so good things I would never do again for common sense purposes.

I'll just stick to taking a nice walk in the park or going for a swim for my entertainment thank you.

like they say... With Age Comes Wisdom

but, that's the paradox, One has to actually Experience things (good/bad/ugly/beautiful) rather than being caught up in a maelstrom of What-Ifs

Age, just means one has survived for another day
like they also say... party on

[edit on 22-4-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
burdman30ott6 - in most of your posts you use the word drug and druggie, it's a plant mate.

Paracetamol and Aspirin are drugs so is Cocaine, because the government says these are bad drugs, these are good drugs you take their word for it?

Notice how it's people who have tried Salvia and other things that are defending it, meanwhile the blind and ignorant (as you have no experience what-so-ever with it) are the ones putting it down.

That's like me saying I don't like chicken it tastes like s**t, despite never eating it.

Drugs seem to be the only issue where people who don't have a clue can stick their comments in and believe 100% that they are right. Guess what, your not!

People also made comments along the lines of, more research needs to be done to see if it causes any long time damage.

There is more than enough research on alcohol and cigarettes proving beyond all doubt that they are harmful and CAN kill you. Don't see them being outlawed? Notice CAN in capitals, you can drink responsibly and have a good time without any lasting effects. Many people do exactly this, well guess what people do exactly the same with other 'drugs'. Some people seem to find that hard to understand.

source - news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 22-4-2008 by cleggy88]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join