It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States move to ban hallucinogen salvia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

States move to ban hallucinogen salvia

www.stateline.org

Thousands of videos on YouTube.com show bong-smoking teenagers “tripping” on the drug.

Called salvia divinorum, it’s been legal in the United States until recently, although banned in several countries, including Australia, Belgium and Italy. Now, state legislators from Maine to Missouri to California are pushing to outlaw or regulate the herb that has become a popular recreational drug among young people.

“I think the Internet has actually driven this,” said Virginia state Del. John O’Bannon (R) who sponsored a bill outlawing the drug. “I think the Internet is one of the reasons why it’s actually spread out of the local indigenous areas in Mexico
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

According the DEA, Schedule I substances are defined as having a high tendency for abuse and do not have a medicinal purpose. Possession of a Schedule I substance (except for marijuana) is often classified as a felony. For example, under the Illinois law that took effect Jan. 1, possession of salvia is punishable by up to three years in prison

Well, after seeing those youtube videos I started getting mad, I never even smirked a single time.

I TOTALLY agree on banning this substance whether is harmful or not, it makes people look unbelievably stupid, I had a friend that actually tried this in school and I never talked to him again because he made an idiot out of himself.
There probably is psychological and physical damage involved, we just can't test it like we can't test the harmful effects of cigarettes.

How on Earth is this different from other illegal drugs other than that no one has found it to be harmful. I mean look at the effects, it's pathetic and despicable. Only most retarded individuals would resolve to this as an alternative to illegal drugs. Those kids above are ignorant and irresponsible idiots who has no life better than to do drugs, whats so funny huh? Wasting money while people are dying in third world countries due to war over drugs. It's just unblievable how much curiosity some humans have.

www.stateline.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/19/2008 by die_another_day]

[edit on 4/19/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

Before you go around making moral judgments on people, why don't you ask yourself why these people would want to try salvia in the first place? Who died and made you the moral policeman of the world?

Alcohol is a drug that kills more daily than pretty much any "illegal" drug. How about tobacco? Remember that tv ad, "you don't always die from tobacco"? The two most harmful drugs on the entire planet are legal, yet harmless hallucinogens are illegal.

I TOTALLY agree on banning this substance whether is harmful or not, it makes people look unbelievably stupid, I had a friend that actually tried this in school and I never talked to him again because he made an idiot out of himself.

I TOTALLY agree on banning alcohol whether its harmful or not, it makes people look unbelievably stupid. I had a friend who tried it and I never talked to him again because he made an idiot out of himself.

I can repeat that statement over and over again with people I know, myself included, thanks to the influence of alcohol.

There probably is psychological and physical damage involved, we just can't test it like we can't test the harmful effects of cigarettes.

You can test it the same way you can test cigarettes.

How on Earth is this different from other illegal drugs other than that no one has found it to be harmful. I mean look at the effects, it's pathetic and despicable.

Legal drugs are much more harmful than illegal drugs. Pharmaceuticals, tobacco, and alcohol are all far more dangerous than salvia, heroin, coc aine, and cannabis COMBINED. You're ok with the legal drugs because the government has said you're cool to consume it, but as soon as an illegal drug (salvia is legal) or questionable drug comes along you have no problem slamming it.

Hypocrite much?

Only most retarded individuals would resolve to this as an alternative to illegal drugs. Those kids above are ignorant and irresponsible idiots who has no life better than to do drugs, whats so funny huh?

Do you drink alcohol? Do you smoke cigarettes? Do you take advil? Then you're an ignorant and irresponsible drug user just like the rest.

Wasting money while people are dying in third world countries due to war over drugs. It's just unblievable how much curiosity some humans have.

Whoa whoa whoa. Drugs being illegal is the reason there's a war on drugs in the first place. If you legalize them and tax them, there'd be no war on drugs and no innocents dying.

The CIA smuggles coc aine, heroin, opium, and cannabis (and god knows what else) into this country, while the DEA and other agencies tax and jail the citizens who decide to partake in drug use.

Not only is the government profiting off the drug black market, but they also profit from our tax dollars and court expenditures. Its quite the scam if I do say so myself.

They profit off both ends of the spectrum.

You need to seriously question your outlook on life because its severely skewed.

[edit on 4/19/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

That is some good research you've done there. Sadly, that is what most of the drug laws are about. People passing judgement on the group of people that choose to use them. "I don't like it. They look stupid. Let's make it illegal and throw them in prison for 3 years."

There are plenty of cases of young people acting stupid on alcohol, yet it isn't a felony for them to use it. There are many cases of people dying or killing other people while using alcohol, how many have been reported on Salvia? There are reports of people curing their depression with Salvia use, yet you want it illegal because some idiots choose to use it.

Yes, let's lock up anyone that chooses to try a hallucinogen. Let's make it illegal and ensure that no one is allowed to do any research on it. Even though there is no proof of it causing damage and it has already shown some signs of medical benefit.

Here's to the war on drugs

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Salvia has been an unbelievable help to me, I began using it to help with depression and anxiety, the clear headed feeling you get after responsible use of the leaf lasts for days. It enhances your minds' clarity, makes you feel like you have just rested for days and are ready to take on the world, and the halucination only lasts for a few seconds and it is over. Those few seconds are considered to be insightful and useful to most responsible users. Hope it is still legal here.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

heroin, coc aine

alcohol is most certianly not more dangerous than these two drugs combined.

both have easily killed people through violent body reactions from overdose. I agree alcohol is the devil's tonic and should be illegal too, but it is definetly not top these two man.

Have you ever seen your buddy almost die one night from snorting eight lines of coke? thinking that he will be powerful enough on the dope to take on the group of enemies that was coming to get him for some other personal #, and end up getting stabbed six times, and barely making it to the hospital before blood loss kills him?

Or maybe the children who are hungry and dirty and crying for mommy who is passed out from so much smack in her viens believe she is better off in lalaland while they starve than seeing mama get slightly verbal after a few shots?

yes all of the above are horrible, but dont try to lessen the evils of heroin and coc aine. there is not a responsible user of either of those drugs . Niether crack or methamphetamines.

We are yet to be sure of how this salvia will affect the brain and/or nervous sytem a decade from now. I not saying it should be illegal just yet.

At the very least tag an age limit to the substance.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
i]reply to post by DYepes

At the very least tag an age limit to the substance.
[

I agree with that.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

There is an age limit, its 18. These kids are probably getting it from their older friends or brothers. You can pretty much only buy it in head shops and convenience stores which will ID for any drug, tobacco, alcohol, or otherwise.

However, you can buy pretty much anything online, so that's how they're probably purchasing it.

[edit on 4/19/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Banning salvia is stupid, yes ive used this plant plenty of times and i can tell you, its all within the intentions of the user to determine the outcome of its effects.
Overall the effects are very mild, agreeing with biggie smalls, alcohol is a much more severe 'drug' and should be banned before salvia.
This is simply ridiculous...
if yorue against salvia, try it at least once and then come back and tell me youre against it. Because after using it, you too will see that its harmless.
Look at the PROBLEMATIC side effects of prescribtion anti depressents- they clearly have caused much more harm.
WHY NOT BAN THOSE?
hhhmmmmm
its unamerican to question that huh?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It is simple. big pharma is not producing this plant from a foreign or domestic factory, and then sold witht the second highest proftting industry as well as generating veyr high tax for the government that protects it.

If we can build a factory in Michigan that can process this substance into a pill format, and distribute thousands if not milliosn of tons of it per year at extreme markups yielding even better tax revenue, then we can see it become a household item.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Yeah, add another cog to the war on drugs, maybe it can fund some more black ops.

Really though, these kid's would be using '___' or eating some shrooms and last I checked those drugs are illegal. Some people just have something in them that begs to experience different reality. What keeps most people from trying hallucinogens is fear. Fear of the unknown if not the cops.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Where is it being made illegal? Just in a few states? Nationwide? What about internet sales?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Internet sales can not be shipped to states where this drug is illegal. so says many of the websites that sell it.

DE, IL, LA, MO, ND, OK, & TN

one month ago there were only four states. Oklahoma, Illinois, and Montanna were added recently this year. This is well within the confines of "states rights" , so I don't think there should be a problem. for once the Feds have nothing to do with this.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
seriously some people just seem to be so closed minded about hallucinogenic drugs.
They have been around thousands of years. Your own brain and body emit almost identical neurotransmitters that allow you to trip.
All of a sudden a bunch of extremists demonize drugs and your parents tell you their bad. A lot of drugs are bad for you, but here's the key....
Psychedelic drugs( lsd, pscilocybin, thc, dmt, salvia divinorum, peyote etc) used in the acclimated and proper dosage can lead to profound introspective learning experiences.

I have learned more about myself and the universe on mushroom trips than I have in any school or textbook....
A lot of people are adverse to experiencing different realities because they are completely immersed in the material realm(the 3rd dimension)
Its my belief that when you trip you can enter the 4th dimension...the dream world where there is no such thing as time.
Its not so much an escape from reality as it is a learning experience...

Demonizing drugs will only make the problem worse...and they know this

To me, by allowing salvia divinorum, which has been around for thousands of years and used by many shamans and tribes, to become a felony if you possess it is proof of the suppression of ancient knowledge.

Im not advocating drug use, but I don't believe condemning something without even experiencing it is pretty closedminded...its pretty much damn near impossible to overdose or become addicted to most natural psychedelics...(although too much acid is never a good thing...look at the late great Timothy Leary
)

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
i tried salvia ordered like in 2005 in la before some kid went and killed himself on it after smokin and it was banned.

it is a crazy legal(or then) high; you almost instantly and consciously leave while in your body the present temporality you were in just before you smoked.

i would say in a path of gnosis including self experience with subtle and shocking aspects of the self it is beneficial; i can see it being therapuetic in some cases pertaining forms of self and awareness mainly dealing with pathy of the mind.

its sad to see enforcement of what are given rights to constitution like enforcing or relegating contact with naturally constituent "beings"/things. some would say salvia extending down into physicality as a plant actually has a present observable essence like the gia theories in the final fantasy movie.

if you want to know what my experience was like u2u me.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
To anyone who says "It's been around for thousands of years, used by tribes & shamans, etc..." as a defense of why this substance or any halucinogenic substance should be legal, that's a poor defense to use. For thousands of year the accepted "cure" for a headache was cutting a big hole in the skull to release whatever demon was inside your head, most patients died and even more people simply kept their mouths shut when they had a headache because they didn't wish to die as well. For thousands of years blood letting was a considered a cure-all. Throughout the 20th century until the 70's, cigarettes were encouraged by doctors for their appetite supressant & calming effects on people. I could continue this ad infinitum about "tried & true" medicinals and medical practices that had a long history of use that today are considered dangerous and crap.

I wouldn't fight making weed legal, even though I've never smoked it and have no intention of changing that. But to consider legalizing anything else is a crock. To the guy that made the incredibly ignorant "Don't pass judgement until you've tried it" statement, that's a brilliant viewpoint, seriously. There are people out there who will drink small quantities of antifreeze because it leaves you euphoric. Does that mean I shouldn't say "don't drink antifreeze" unless I've thrown back a couple shots of it? No thanks, I have enough to concern myself with without having to add kidney failure or untimely death into the equation.

Why are weak minded people constantly searching out drugs that make reality less real, life less interactive, and dreams more vivid? Your brain was intended to work in a particular manner, devoid of all controlling substances (yeah, that includes alcohol & tobacco). You flip a gasket when you read about a plot to use flouride to make people more docile or about a new device that's rumored to give some level of thought control to the government, yet you think it's great fun to give up those very same faculties to an herb, fungus, or chemical substance all in the name of becoming more creative? News flash, just like the obnoxious drunk guy believes he's the life of the party while everyone else sees him as a gigantic ass, the "creativity" druggies believe their drug gives them is viewed as loss of control and madness by those standing on the outside looking in.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
Where is it being made illegal? Just in a few states? Nationwide? What about internet sales?

If you want to check out information on it or buy it you can here.

I don't see anything wrong with it...

Oh and it lists which states it's illegal in... So if you live in those states, too bad so sad, but pretty soon every state will make it illegal, so if you want some you better check it out soon... peace!

[edit on 20-4-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes

heroin, coc aine

Have you ever seen your buddy almost die one night from snorting eight lines of coke? thinking that he will be powerful enough on the dope to take on the group of enemies that was coming to get him for some other personal #, and end up getting stabbed six times, and barely making it to the hospital before blood loss kills him?

Ok, so you just admitted that it wasnt the coc aine that killed your friend, it was a thing called multiple stab woulds and blood loss. I'm sure if he wasnt on coc aine them kids would have still had knives, and still stabbed him. Your argument is null.

Salvia is a legal plant that is impossible to overdose on, provides introspection, and lasts for a whole five minutes. I think this is just the government with its whole "lets ban anything that helps people think outside the box" attitude.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Drugs that strip away the confines of societies fixed realities and reveal a multi dimensional universe are not for everybody.

'___' occurs everywhere in nature from the human brain to the grass on your lawn.

The shamanistic history of these types of drugs involved weeks of preparation before the ingestion of the drug in a controlled supervised ritual.

It may not be best for everyone to load a bunch of bong hits of Salvia while their friend records it on their cellphone, I say ban cellphones and regulate the
trips of the uninitiated into hyper dimensional space.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I have been planting this stuff everywhere for YEARS . lol You can literally buy the seeds at any grocery store. Next time your walking past the "seed rack" check for yourself.

Its actually a really pretty flower . Brightens up any lawn/garden.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join